Finished Deadwood, Lost, Mad Men.. What's next?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by alexpop, Jan 2, 2014.

1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits.... Thread Starter

Only lasted 2 seasons.

2. alexpop

Latest ..

P r e a c h e r

A bit too hellzapoppin for me, but it has its moments.

3. alexpop

Started watching L O S T again.

4. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Blood. A crazy Irish woman comes back to her hometown for her mother's funeral and comes up with the theory that she was murdered.

alexpop likes this.
  5. Dr. Bogenbroom

Dr. Bogenbroom I'm not a Dr. but I play one on SteveHoffman.TV

Have you checked out the BBC's "Sherlock" yet? It is OHHHHMAZIN!

Brenald79, Nephrodoc and alexpop like this.
  6. alexpop

Seen first season thought it was just, ok!
    Does it get better?

7. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I just started watching the German TV series DARK after reading part of an article about it in the NYTimes (I stopped because they were about to reveal spoilers).

I am finding it difficult to follow as to who is who and what is happening and why but in a way I like that because shows like that (for example Mr. Robot) which seemingly make no sense usually have huge buzz/brainrushes when things do tie together.

Dark (TV series) - Wikipedia
    (that includes spoilers but I'm finding that reading the episode synopsis after WATCHING (edit) them then going back and watching that episode again really helps my comprehension)

It revolves mostly around strange wrinkles in time travel which is something I have always found fascinating & love new takes on that subject, like the movie PRIMER or TIMECRIMES.

It is 2 seasons so far and only 1 more season to go. Unfortunately I believe it is only a Netflix streaming type thing (which won't help Alexpop) and I don't/can't watch streaming anything either but luckily I have friends/ways to get stuff like this in more traditional ways.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
    alexpop likes this.
  8. alexpop

If it gets a media release.
    Sure others will appreciate.

9. 12 Monkeys (three seasons)
    Battlestar Galactica (the newer version)
    Justified.

slipkid likes this.
  10. Dr. Bogenbroom

Dr. Bogenbroom I'm not a Dr. but I play one on SteveHoffman.TV

I think S2 is better, stronger stories (and some of the most famous?), but if the stand-off w/Moriarty wasn't enough to draw you in, perhaps it's not for you. I got bored with The Wire half-way through S3 though, and that seems to be held in high regards here.

11. alexpop

Sherlock ? I’m sure if I had the complete box I’d probably watch it. Though found the first season camp.
    The Wire I liked, but couldn’t get into it the second viewing.

Dr. Bogenbroom likes this.
  12. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Never saw the 12 Monkeys series (does Terry Gilliam have anything to do with it?) but I loved the BG reboot series as well as Justified.

P.S. A friend of mine used to work in the movie biz and she was involved in the 12 Monkeys movie. She had all kinds of hilarious inside stories of her days in the bizzzz and the one I remember about that movie is that she said they had a "bucket of drool" (some kind of concoction to look like human spittle) on the set which they used on Bruce Willis as far as part of his makeup/character (in the insane asylum scenes I guess? I 4get).

13. No, although his film does in that they take the basic premise and expand on it. It goes in some slightly different directions that are pretty interesting. Madeline Stowe guest starred on the show at one point as well.

slipkid likes this.
  14. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Speaking of The Wire, that reminds me, the NYTimes article on DARK which convinced me to check it out mentioned it in the context of The Wire....lessee I still have the article which I intend to read in full once I watch the 2 seasons...OK here is the quote:

"The 1st season was generally well received when it came out in 2017, drawing comparison to Twin Peaks and Stranger Things. But in its second season the show's ambitions are closer to The Wire as it builds out its world and uses its genre trappings - primarily time travel, in this case - less as plot gimmicks than as ways to deepen the characters and explore their decision making"

15. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Power on the Starz network is a very “wire-ish” show and one of the best current shows. The 6th season starts this week. Very popular but not ever mentioned here.
    Power (TV Series 2014– ) - IMDb
    James "Ghost" St. Patrick, a wealthy New York night club owner who has it all, catering to the city's elite and dreaming big, lives a double life as a drug kingpin.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
    alexpop likes this.
  16. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

You have to have an affinity for the characters, I think, to put up with all the gore-as-visual-punchlines. Otherwise, it'll definitely chase your wife out of the living room.

alexpop likes this.
  17. alexpop

Yeah..correct.
    Improved with the second season.
    Pretty good I must admit.

18. alexpop

Watching LOST for the fourth time. John Locke’s father Anthony Cooper looks the same age.:)

19. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

By the way I am watching that now, just started season 2. I think it is an excellent show, very demanding of the brain cells, but the most challenging & confusing show I have ever watched. Very difficult to keep straight who is who and what is what relationship wise especially with the time travel central subplots and being all in German having to read the subs instead of being able to concentrate more on the visuals especially looking at & getting familiar with all these totally unknown to me actors. I have had to watch some episodes multiple times & even make notes of things I was confused about, also found reading the synopsis of each episode on wikipedia has helped after I watch it in my understanding. So - if you like very complicated twisty turny plots with numerous characters and time travel complications (so & so is so & so's father even though he actually was a younger brother to so & so's friend when he disappeared being sucked into that black hole thing then coming out 33 years earlier and so & so's one time girlfriend is actually his aunt so he...ok i will stop there...it gets so complicated it is almost impossible to even explain)....

20. alexpop

Lost S3 “The Glass Ballerina”.

What’s with the Red Socks game that Ben shows Jack. And what significance does it have with the final episode?

21. alexpop

12 monkeys.

Pity there’s no dvd /Blu ray for season 3&4.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
  22. thgord

thgord In Search of My Next Euphoric Groove

You should check him out in Beirut with Rosamund Pike. He played a Don Draper knock-off in Bad Times at the El Royale.

alexpop likes this.
  23. thgord

Great post! And I couldn't agree with you more about Hollywood not shying away from casting lovely curvaceous ladies as personified by Christina Hendricks.

24. alexpop

Seen El Royale( not bad).
    I’ll check out The Negotiator (Beirut).

What with BB getting their own movie sequel maybe Jon Hamm gets a Mad Men sequel sorta what happened to Don Draper.

25. thgord

Unfortunately, unlikely. Hamm has stated that he is tired of playing that character. Also, the living Draper family members would probably need to appear in it as well.