Pink Floyd The Later Years - Specul/ation (Pre-release)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DylanPeggin, Jul 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Azza200

Azza200 Forum Resident

This bootleg has an excellent shot Welcome To The Machine, for me the best audience shot WTTM from the tour imo

St. Troy, oneslip17 and ries like this.
  2. ries

ries Forum Resident

I wished the DSOT video was this good, the video never portayed well how incredibly good the lightening design was on this tour. With these lightening "robots" doing their dance above the stage, was really incredible to watch. When I saw the Division Bell tour few years later I was dissapointed they didnt bring them with that tour.

3. Ryan Bedlack

Ryan Bedlack Forum Resident

Thank you for your service

4. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

I saw Gilmour Floyd at Maine Rd Manchester 8/8/88, I too was disappointed when the VHS came out how they has failed to capture the brilliance of the lighting in particular the lasers. Another thing that P'd me off about DSOT was that they mixed out the audience sing along on WYWH, I know at Maine Rd everybody joined in, I'm sure it would have been the same wherever DSOT was recorded.

5. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

The Venice video is thrilling and miiiiiiles better than the original DSOT release.
    What a magical night. I'm so psyched to finally get that in pristine quality! :D

What's taking them so long?! :waiting:

6. mestreech

mestreech Forum Resident

What is happening?
    Three major annoncements (Bowie / Pink Floyd and Tool) and nothing has been leaked? Where are the good old days when sometimes new releases were weeks ahead available (promo copies).

7. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Nothing has leaked, huh? o_O

8. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

We can't complain much about leakage, can we? :D

Luisboa likes this.
  9. mestreech

mestreech Forum Resident

I know you gave us as much info as possible but I'm surprised about the lack on hardcopy leaks.

10. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

IIRC, nothing was leaked about The Early Years at all. We only found out about it a week or so before the announcement so the "black out" comes as no surprise.

11. xXFloydianXx

xXFloydianXx One Slip, and down the hole we fall

Ya, we're actually lucky that Aubrey Powell slipped out info about it back in March!

That, and your leaks as well. :)

12. Azza200

Azza200 Forum Resident

awesome lighting effects

13. Azza200

Azza200 Forum Resident

another good video showing off the excellent light show for WTTM

14. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Thanks for posting. Haven't seen that in a long time. Looks amazing even by today's standards.

15. bboynexus

bboynexus Forum Resident

I don't listen to Welcome to the Machine anywhere near often enough. What a track!

16. Josip

Josip Forum Resident

Yet another week...

17. wilberforce55

wilberforce55 Forum Resident

.....of Sorrow

18. wilberforce55

wilberforce55 Forum Resident

Thanks

Comfortably Numb will always be the highlight of any Floyd related show for me, but this song from the only "Pink Floyd" tour i have ever seen has always stuck in my mind as a close second

It always pissed me off on the video and audio for DSOT it was never included

Azza200 likes this.
  19. brfloydfan

brfloydfan Forum Resident

I have watched DSOT and P.U.L.S.E. on VCD. Curiously, DSOT have better video quality (very good, btw), while P.U.L.S.E. is more grainy. Shouldn't it be the opposite? Is it because the way it was filmed?

20. jɑmbo

jɑmbo Forum Resident

Yeah, DSOT was film, PULSE was videotape.

brfloydfan likes this.
  21. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

Which is why I am hoping that a BR transfer of DSOT looks as good as it should do! So many live shows from the 1980s and 1990s were only ever captured on SD video, but the ones that were filmed (think Queen Rock Montreal from 1981ish) and have been transferred with care look really good. If they’ve put a bit of care and attention into DSOT it could be stunning.

gabbleratchet7 likes this.
  22. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

I've hit on this before in other threads, so none of this is new, but I still find it weird that the '80s transition is always viewed as "attempting to remain relevant." I've gotten into a ton of bands via career-spanning boxes where I've taken in their discographies in order outside of the context of the original release times. What I tend to hear is that the '80s presented new toys and new options, which musicians (being typically curious and adventurous folks) lapped up and took to with enthusiasm.

Where I see an attempt (if one exists for any given band) at "remaining relevant," it's in the '90s with the advent of grunge. Suddenly, all of these now middle-aged musicians scramble, ditch any pretense at artistic expansion or messing with the formula and rush to try to compete with their teenage or early 20-something selves. The attempts at "regaining the edge" usually constitute a far higher cringe quotient than anything the '80s brought. At least the '80s experiments were capable of being sonically interesting, if different from what came before. We hit the '90s and it's a bunch of old(er) dudes trying to sound like pissed off teenagers. Not a good look.

Fortunately, the Floyd avoided the '90s trap, but I've never heard AMLOR as an attempt at remaining relevant, whatever the behind the scenes story may be.

23. Lands End Drums

Lands End Drums Forum Resident

Yes, this. Like Kiss with the awful Carnival Of Souls. Hard to take multi-millionaires singing songs about how miserable they are while trying and failing to sound like Alice In Chains.

See also artists who released ill-advised industrial albums ala Billy Idol's dreadful Cyberpunk.

:yikes:

St. Troy, Runicen and Gavaxeman like this.
  24. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

Even a few of those industrial albums can be interesting. Alice Cooper certainly did it well. Some others, less so.

Anyway, unless anyone wants to speculate on what a late-'90s PF industrial album would have sounded like, I'll leave that off-topic digression where it is. :D

mestreech, rontoon and oneslip17 like this.
  25. stubrookc

stubrookc Well-Known Member

Personally I hope we don’t get bootlegging the bootleggers as an extra. Whilst an interesting thing to do I would prefer professional recordings aka pulse of songs such as take it back and especially poles apart. Recently I’ve listened to poles apart from Washington and the solo is so good. Whilst I know the majority of the recordings were from Europe I would be very pleased if this made it to the box set

fluxkit likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.