Parting with CDs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Adam9, Aug 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

You do know, I hope, that streaming services also employ people directly that aren't just evil suits.

And indirectly support others, for example the data centers where these services are hosted and the people who need to keep that running. Perhaps it's not as glamorous as just thinking about how you're fighting "the man" when you buy used CD's.

Lost In The Flood and dkmonroe like this.
  2. Cherrycherry

Cherrycherry Forum Resident

Attention Please! Attention Please!
    We will be arriving at our next destination, Planet Apple, in five minutes!
    Please take all of your belongings with you, and thank you for flying I-Stream 787 today!

flatsix- and DTK like this.
  3. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

Lots of people on this thread are living this life:

4. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

I just carry my library on a large storage DAP.

Works in the car, works with external speakers, works in the middle of the woods without any Wifi. Granted, I'm not synced up with multiple systems constantly so when I'm out and about it's "as-is", essentially.

But I actually consider that an advantage.

schnitzerphilip and Pete Puma like this.
  5. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

Probably paid the artist more than 10,000 people listening to streaming.

6. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

Convenience: I have no wife or kids, so it’s all about me. At home I’ve got a CD player, a tape deck and some big-**** speakers hooked up with bell wire. Nice.
    When I drive to work, my car’s got a radio. Winning.
    When I go away somewhere I’m doing other stuff, so I don’t need to connect to anything, but sometimes if there’s a record shop somewhere, I might go in and buy something. I can listen to it when I get home.

Listening Experience: My big-**** Tannoy speakers do the job. I’ve got some decent headphones as well. Sorted.
    If I want to play some music, I turn the power on and put on a cd or a record or a tape. It’s easy once you know how.

Lifestyle: Has eff-all to do with how I listen to music. Convenience, number of tracks available and whether I can connect things if I find myself in a treehouse in Nigeria mean nothing to me. I have no idea what a playlist is, nor do I care, especially if it involves telling a vibrator-shaped device with a hooker name to play ‘beach songs’, whatever they are. I’m happy to be here and be able to hear anything at all.

Thanks.

7. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Assuming that CD was from a record label? The numbers don't back that up.

Maybe if the artist is pressing CDR's on their own and charging $15 a pop. That's going right to them.

dkmonroe likes this.
  8. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

I don't particularly like your setup either. Too restrictive for me.

But of course our setups are tailored to what works for us. Even @schnitzerphilip 's.

Kristofa likes this.
  9. j_rocker

j_rocker Forum Resident

Aside from profanity, what about when certain songs are deemed antiquated, misogynistic, sexist, etc? Or when the artist gets into a bit of personal or legal trouble or says something slightly offensive on Twitter?

It’s not a stretch to think a streaming service would cave to such pressures, as it’s already happened in this medium and other media. “Baby It’s Cold Outside” was banned by some radio stations last year. On another note there was a whole list of songs temporarily banned after 9/11. The kids might grow up with Breaking Bad, but good luck finding The Cosby Show streaming or on TV.

no.nine, Guy E and Eric_Generic like this.
  10. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

It’s not a setup.

11. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I loathe Apple persons.

12. R. Cat Conrad

R. Cat Conrad Almost Famous

You really should stop misspelling the artist's name, as you've done repeatedly in this thread, whether it's intentional or due to short term memory loss.
    His name is Joe Bonamassa. This gentle reminder will hopefully assist you in avoiding this behavior in the future...

[​IMG]

FYI, Joe is an honest guy and a cool dude, but setting that aside, I'm confident he wouldn't stoop to maligning the names of those with whom he takes issue. :angel:

:cheers:
    Cat

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  13. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

How much are they getting per individual streaming, i.e., per person per listen?

14. R. Cat Conrad

Well aware, my friend. Personally, I'd rather see book stores survive and thrive than streaming services, but that's just me. Call me a Luddite if you like, just don't call me late to dinner! :winkgrin:

But seriously, let's try to keep a clear eye on what is really going on here. The suits at the bottom might as well live in another galaxy when their wages are compared with suits at the top. "Evil" isn't my way of describing folks trying to make a living, but what we're really talking about is an entrepreneurial employment model that has already maxed out for the average cubical worker.

Using phrases like "fighting the man" is great hippy jargon from 50 years ago, but it has nothing to do with shifting economic trends that reward greed while ignoring those who are impacted financially and/or displaced by technology.

Cat

Guy E and DRM like this.
  15. It is going to happen sooner than you think. I'm most thinking of Rap music recorded during the 1990s, which sold millions and millions of copies. That music has the exact type of language and content that will soon get censored in the coming all-digital era for our own "good" by music label corporations bending to the whims of a few strident voices.

We've already seen self-censorship take place frequently in Hollywood - you will never live to see Disney release Song of the South ever again. This trend becomes far more problematic in an all-streaming platform with corporate control over every digital copy.

16. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Modern Dad, you crack me up. I really enjoy it when you stay in character.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
    Guy E likes this.
  17. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Where's the beef? Old reference, granted. Surface and superficial media experiences, with an over emphasis on the device and name brand. For social media consumption (please let us show you the 45 minute slide show of our trip to the islands, it was simple marvelous, darling.) vs. a deeper and more personally meaningful engagement and experience with music and books.

"Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous, baby!"

Fashion Accessories Store, Fashion Accessory Shop Online - NewChic Mobile

18. R. Cat Conrad

While wishing I could disagree with this, I can't, because I've seen it happening. What concerns me most is that whoever holds the keys (legal control and content) determines whether a door is open or locked, personal taste and public domain rights notwithstanding. This is reason enough to maintain collections of CDs, DVD/BD, films, book collections, etc. About the only thing I'm vehemently opposed to are efforts to disparage traditional mediums that many folks like and continue to use.

Even though I have no personal interest in streaming, I'm fine with it for those who like the convenience or whatever. But as a collector with some knowledge of shifting trends, I'm cognizant of the fact that some entertainment (films, TV, music, etc.) will be removed from the general public's view permanently. Other entertainment will just continue going up in price per view or listen as a means of evolving revenue streams.

Cat

19. Hab

Hab Forum Resident

Cost?

20. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

Shelving units... drawer units? :kilroy:

DRM likes this.
  21. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

My dad left the stereo on once when he went on a week-long business trip. It stayed ON for the duration of the trip because my mother didn't know that the POWER button was the ON/OFF switch. It's a shame that she couldn't just yell at the thing.

douglas mcclenaghan likes this.
  22. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

[​IMG]

Inspector Gadget loves The Eagles.

I hate The Eagles.

23. Shiver

Shiver Forum Resident

Yeah I'm a sentimental soul really, and there are so many memories attached to some of those CDs. There's more at-stir than simply the music they provide (as streaming would).

j_rocker and DRM like this.
  24. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

A great book relevant to this discussion: Narcissism: Denial Of The True Self.

https://www.amazon.com/Narcissism-D...the+true+self&qid=1566464843&s=gateway&sr=8-2

douglas mcclenaghan likes this.
  25. Freedom Rider

Freedom Rider Senior Member

This is in such bad taste. Argue against the guy's point of view all day if you want, fine, but crude jokes like this are totally uncalled for.:sigh:

David67, schnitzerphilip and dkmonroe like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.