Blue Note 80th Anniversary reissues...any news?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by riverrat, Nov 9, 2018.

Tags:
  1. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Thanks to these comments and earlier ones from "Carter Devries" and "Gabe Walters" my order is now placed with my local store($27, so not bad) and will be arriving this Thursday. I have stayed away from streaming, with the exception of a few seconds each from three of the songs and I am really looking forward to this one now. Thanks to all that have provided feedback on this release. When totally unfamiliar with a title such as this one, I had to do some homework first...

This will put me at 10/12 so far and will be going after 19 - 21 of the remaining titles...Really happy with this series...I am now spraying shellac on the covers to give them that Tone Poet luster if you will...

mcwlod, Smith, AFA and 3 others like this.
  2. Crazysteve

Crazysteve Gonzo Party Member

I pre-ordered hand jive and then cancelled it. Took me only four days to reconsider and re-order it. I really like this album. I like the compositions, enjoy the musicians, and the sound quality spits in the face of most digitally sourced analog. Just like with the Henderson, digital is not a reason to avoid this title.

3. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Well said "Crazysteve"! Especially the part about digital, and not a reason to avoid. When you have the likes of Gray, Bellman, and even Grundman working their magic, vinyl with a digital step can still sound mighty nice!

Crazysteve, Joe Harley and AFA like this.
  4. Lucca90

Lucca90 Forum Resident

Tuck1977 likes this.
  5. danasgoodstuff

danasgoodstuff Forum Resident

I haven't yet heard this incarnation of Hand Jive, and probably won't get it myself since I'm perfectly happy with my original issue CD, but I would like to say how much I like the music here - my favorite Sco, near fav Eddie Harris, and just maybe my favorite BN from after the revival of the label in the '80s. 10 different shades of groove AND 'real jazz'; I credit drummer Bill Stewart for this fairly major miracle.

mcwlod, Dmann201, wellers73 and 3 others like this.
  6. Joe Harley

Joe Harley Senior Member

yes on all points and double yes on Bill Stewart!

mcwlod, Dmann201, wellers73 and 3 others like this.
  7. 99khan

99khan Forum Resident

Bill Stewart...one of my favorite drummers!!! Caught him with Sco live @ The Coach House (your neck of the woods) many years ago and also with Larry Goldings trio with guitarist Peter Bernstein. I dig those guys! And yes, i do have Hand Jive now on vinyl. Lovin' it.

danasgoodstuff and MisterBritt like this.
  8. Dougthesnail

Dougthesnail The Big Gabagool

Just listened to Doin Allright after it being on my shelf since release and wow!!! amazing

9. Briskit

Briskit “I don’t know karate, but I know ka-razy!”

3 out of 3 warped - man, that's ********. If Optimal can't make flat records, they should do something else. Send them an email.

patient_ot likes this.
  10. 99khan

99khan Forum Resident

While on the subject on drummer Bill Stewart, please allow me to share this...

[​IMG]

Both "Snide Remarks" (1995), and "Telepathy" (1997) are Blue Note issues that were released on CD only. Hopefully the BN execs will find at least one of the 2 titles worthy of a vinyl issue someday (possibly in the BN 85th Anniversary Vinyl reissues five years down the road...or sooner). :waiting:

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
    mcwlod, wellers73, Crazysteve and 2 others like this.
  11. wellers73

wellers73 Forum Resident

Hadn’t thought of it before, but Snide Remarks would be an amazing choice for a Tone Poet! The playing, writing, line up, and sound are all top notch!

MisterBritt and 99khan like this.
  12. Guildx500

Guildx500 Forum Resident

I really enjoyed Hand Jive. I heard Sco live several times during that era but somehow never heard this record before. It would be really nice if they did one of the albums he made with Joe Lovano in the future. I also picked up Alligator Boogaloo as I never found a clean copy of this in the past. I’m a huge Lou Donaldson fan and it’s one of my favorites of his. This one was excellent too. Really nice to listen to it without the snap crackle and pop of my less than ideal original.

13. Dmann201

Dmann201 Forum Resident

Seeing Herbie Hancock last night with his incredible band just made me even more eager for the BN80 Inventions and Dimensions, bring it on!

14. 99khan

99khan Forum Resident

The 1990 Blue Note "Time On My Hands" with Lovano was released as part of the 75th Ann. series. It is one of the few LPs I own from that series (including both volumes of Lovano's "Quartets: Live at the Village Vanguard"). I love Sco so "Meant To Be" and/or "What We Do" both with Lovano would be fine additions on vinyl.

scotti and wellers73 like this.
  15. Jeff449

Jeff449 Forum Resident

My new copy of Alligator Bogaloo has the same issues mentioned: spindle hole too big, non-fill that sounds like static or tearing paper, clicks and tics on first play, and the muted cymbals. My original pressing does not have the muted cymbals.
    What is meant by "likely that something had to be flown in for those few minutes"? A damaged section of tape where they had to use a different copy of the recording for that section?

16. AFA

AFA Forum Resident

Finally played my copy of Alligator Bogaloo. Love the sound on this one. Even though the lp is slightly warped, the spindle hole is fine and there is no non-fill. The muted cymbals are there but do not bother me at all. The overall album is a killer. Hats off to Joe Harley for a wonderful choice. I would normally never have listened to this album on my own and I am so glad now that I got it

scotti, Eigenvector, Peterr and 5 others like this.
  17. saskimo

saskimo Forum Resident

Found a bunch of BN 80 on a trip to Toronto last weekend. Really digging Bobbi Humphey but I'm a complete sucker for the flute!

18. AFA

AFA Forum Resident

Which store did you go to? Sonicboom?

19. saskimo

saskimo Forum Resident

Yeah, Sonic Boom and Kops Records. Funny there was a cop flippin through records in Kops! Ha!

Bill Why Man, AFA and Briskit like this.
  20. flatsix-

flatsix- Low End Theorist

Ugh, badly wanted to go to one of the west coast shows but timing couldn't be worse. Hoping he tours again soon!

21. AFA

AFA Forum Resident

Any idea if Sonic Boom is cheaper or more expensive than Amazon on BN80 and Tone Poets?

Defrance likes this.
  22. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Recently picked up Alive + 3 via the Japanese BN CD reissue program and can confirm it's badass. Would love to read any further stories you have about Mr. Muhammad.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
  23. AFA

AFA Forum Resident

was Kamasi Washington also there? I saw both on Aug 6 in Toronto and it was an incredible show. The first hour was with Kamasi and his band and Herbie was on for the next hour and half. I actually liked Kamasi even more than Herbie! The best and the most incredible moment of the entire night was at the very end when Herbie came back for the encore and started playing Chameleon. Kamasi also walked in with his sax and the rest was magic! the crowd in the Roy Thomson Hall went absolutely nuts.

24. Dmann201

Dmann201 Forum Resident

No Kamasi for the San Diego show but it was outstanding nonetheless. As long as Vinnie Colaiuta is behind the kit I'm a happy man!

99khan and AFA like this.
  25. garrincha

garrincha Forum Resident

alright chaps. I've only picked up 3 BN80 titles so far, for one reason and another

Doin' Allright
    Takin' Off
    Open Sesame

I've got Una Mas and Indestructible on pre-order - and will be picking up Ethiopian Knights at some point over the weekend.

what do folk consider from the other titles that have already been released to be absolutely essential? unfortunately, I can't buy them all - maybe another two. out of the remaining batch, I'm not tooooo bothered about Grant's First Stand. don't get me wrong - I absolutely love GG, but find this one a little, dare I say it - tame

I'm familiar with all these records - I've even set up a playlist - Blue Note 80, a playlist by silkyskillz on Spotify - feel free to hop on, btw! so I'm not going in blind...

anyway, I'd be interested to hear some thoughts on which two folk would go for from the run so far. I'm more than willing to be cajoled into a decision!

cheers chaps

scotti and Tuck1977 like this.