Blue Note 80th Anniversary reissues...any news?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by riverrat, Nov 9, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

This could be outlier advice, but after you pick up Ethiopian Knights and find that you dig it, I'd recommend not going back and saving $$$ for upcoming records Alive! along with Inventions & Dimensions. Maybe have some extra dough for that upcoming live set from Lonnie Smith. I've been digging these funkier sides lately, so again - outlier and probably skewed advice.

scotti, Dmann201, Tuck1977 and 2 others like this.
  2. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

Very much looking forward to the Lonnie Smith. First time on vinyl I believe. Also wondering how they are going to proceed with it. Are they going to edit it down from the CD release or make it a double album?

scotti likes this.
  3. Bobby Buckshot

Looks like it was originally pressed as a 2xLP: Lonnie Smith - Live At Club Mozambique

scotti, AFA and blutiga like this.
  4. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

Oh I didn't realise this. I've got the Lou Donaldson at the Cadillac Club on vinyl, but this one only on CD. It's gotta be a double then, hopefully!!!
    It was the Grant Green Mozambique I was probably thinking of that's never been on vinyl.

scotti, AFA and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  5. Bobby Buckshot

Now that's one that should be added to this series as well! Good mention :cheers:

6. garrincha

garrincha Forum Resident

I dig, I dig!

yeah man, these two are bankers. Alive! is absolute fire

scotti, Bobby Buckshot and AFA like this.
  7. Crazysteve

Crazysteve Gonzo Party Member

I’d recommend johnnie griffin. That album blows straight out of Chicago and blasts right out of the grooves. I’ve liked Blue and Think! as well, but this Griffin would be my recommendation #1.
    And Alligator Bogalloo must be heard.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
  8. Lucca90

Lucca90 Forum Resident

I'm not a big fan of the flute in jazz, but "Black and Blues" is a great album. Harlem River Drive is my favorite track. Recommended

9. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

I have half of them only. That said-

Johnny Griffin to me is the best sonically and the music is crushing aweseome.

Robert glasper is a sweet record and good to rep something from our super futuristic and harmonious century. It's a nice master too.

Get those!
    :cool:

scotti, Crazysteve and garrincha like this.
  10. dastinger

dastinger Forum Resident

I'd say @garrincha has the ones I'd consider essential (from the ones that are out) and the one he's probably missing is precisely Johnny Griffin's Introducing.

scotti and garrincha like this.
  11. saskimo

saskimo Forum Resident

BN 80's were 26.99 at Sonic Boom and 29.99 at Kops. Don't remember the Tone Poets as I've been getting them here is Saskatoon.

12. saskimo

saskimo Forum Resident

The flute really pulled me into jazz for whatever reason. Eric Dolphy especially and James Spaulding on Freddie Hubbard's Breaking Point album.

scotti, zither, Dmann201 and 2 others like this.
  13. AFA

AFA Forum Resident

Sonic Boom is cheaper than Amazon ! Think is currently at $29

14. saskimo

saskimo Forum Resident

The three I got from Kop's were all 29.99 including Think!, Open Sesame and Grant's First Stand. Didn't see these three at Sonic Boom.

15. saskimo

saskimo Forum Resident

Given ol' Lonnie Smith, Think! a go right now! Sounds great! Never heard of Lonnie Smith before to be honest. I'm diggin the BN80 for introducing me to stuff I wouldn't have heard otherwise.

nosliw, scotti, blutiga and 1 other person like this.
  16. Bobby Buckshot

The Don Was interview from the VMP podcasts cued me into listening to how B3 players play the bass parts. Smith is really good at it, one of the best, and that's a great album.

:cheers:

blutiga and saskimo like this.
  17. saskimo

saskimo Forum Resident

Ha, I was just reading the liner notes and was like, where's the bass player?!

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  18. Bobby Buckshot

John Patton is good at it too. Apparently it's a a rare talent

rxcory, scotti, blutiga and 1 other person like this.
  19. Crazysteve

You’re spot on. It is a growing and fine buffet of Jazz. Think! is a lot of fun and I may never have come across it without this series. Smarter jazz minds than mine are picking these and the Tone Poet’s, and I am grateful.

scotti, Jerry James and saskimo like this.
  20. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

Ethiopian Knights is awesome

21. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

This is a classic. I am loving all things Blue Note lately.

shawnwes, SOONERFAN, scotti and 3 others like this.
  22. dminches

dminches Forum Resident

First listen to Alligator Bogaloo and I already love it. The interplay between Donaldson, Smith and Morris on One Cylinder is worth the price of admission alone.

This is, to me, the definition of soul-jazz.

23. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Excellent post by the way! I now have 10 of the 12 and have the next three on order...way too much good vinyl coming out!

Johnny Griffin
    Alligator Bogaloo (don't let the drop off scare you, the album still sounds wonderful over all)...one of the highlights for me
    Blue Mode...I will take this one over "Think" all though I really like that one as well...Melvin Sparks cuts loose a bit more on guitar on Blue Mode, the main reason I like it more.

And now here is where it gets dangerous...this series is about to pick up major steam in the months ahead. I am going after 20 of the 24 titles remaining...

24. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

I picked up Hand Jive on Friday. The owner of the store I shop at said to me, well finally after canceling this title several times with me, you have decided to get it. Was I ever so unsure about this one.

All I can say is I'm dumbfounded! I never heard this album before and have never spent much time with John Scofield's music (except "A Go Go"). My love of Jazz like many is 50's, 60's and then some stuff out of the 70's. I had no idea I was going to like this one as much as I do (even my wife digs the heck out of it). He has a unique style of playing on this, but it is far from original. If a fan of Jeff Beck, you can hear some of his style laced throughout. The song "Golden Daze" even has a bit of a Santana flair to it.

Of course this type of album is a required taste and you must appreciate this style of Jazz, but I guess that's how it is with many titles. I know "Crazysteve" said he was hesitant at first regarding this release but is happy as well. He mentioned that streaming was not the way to listen to this, and you need to hear the actual vinyl itself. Well said! I am not a fan of streaming music like this either.

The sound, of course digital, but once again Kevin Gray works his magic and more than delivers the goods. Outstanding sound and I am oh so glad I pried my you know what off the fence and got it. Ready for another listen this afternoon.

25. Crazysteve

I started the day with Hand Jive over breakfast, before turning to ECM for some finely pressed digital tunes as I read good ol’ Harry Potter to my son. I was getting so tired of buying albums that I liked, but were recorded digitally and subsequently NOT pressed at a level even approaching the Tone Poet/BN80 (I.e. Kevin Gray) galaxy where I forget that it’s digital. I was down to almost exclusively buying AAA vinyl for the same reasons that affect many of you. Now I’m both shocked at the handywork done on Hand Jive, as well as on the Glasper and Henderson titles, and a bit upset that other fine music can’t be pressed to convey the beauty that the music deserves. The gap between a pressing that conveys the recording, and one that coneys the life and heart of the recording, bring different levels of enjoyment for me. Needless to say, the blue note reissues bring me loads of happiness and opens up musical doors in my musical quest.

You are correct Scotti, the next many months are very exciting to me as well. My wallet is afraid, and the Christmas shopping budget must be factored in sometime soon. But these reissues just don’t stop....and most must be bought (at least in my house).