Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Oct 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have the Victrola Harum Scarum set, and the masters never sounded better. Allegedly, the Clambake masters (stereo only this time around, no mono) are from the same DAT tape source. I'm a sucker for the movie soundtracks so I have this on order.

mark winstanley likes this.
  2. Iceman08

Iceman08 Forum Resident

It sits beside the Beatles' "Let It Be" b/w "You Know My Name (Look Up The Number)" and some of the most absurd b-sides on Turtles' singles. :) But of course If I Can Dream b/w Edge of Reality are two seriously great songs yet musically bizarre extremes.

Shawn and mark winstanley like this.
  3. Iceman08

Iceman08 Forum Resident

Even the Monkees' Davy Jones did a cover of "It Ain't Me Babe" on his "David Jones" Colpix teen pop debut album in 1965. So many artists were doing cover songs of him, also Frankie Valli & The Four Seasons, mid 60's Dion DiMucci, Rick Nelson etc.

Hep Alien and mark winstanley like this.
  4. Iceman08

Iceman08 Forum Resident

Ha ha, it was vice versa for me: I grew up listening a lot to the "I Got Lucky" Camden album including this song and only heard the Clyde McPhatter & Drifters version much later and thought wow that's much too slow, it has to be the Elvis tempo! :-D I love his version, it bounces along very nice and Elvis' voice is "riding on its waves on top". My mood rises immediately when I hear Fools Fall In Love. Indescribably Blue I like a lot, too. And yes, it was of course very dated in 1967 compared to The Doors, Cream, Dylan, Hendrix, all the singer-songwriter artists.
    There's also this nice home recording of him singing live to a (master?) backing track around the mid 60s.

5. Iceman08

Iceman08 Forum Resident

I prefer his studio version to all the various live recordings of How Great Thou Art. His studio version is controlled and a lot more relaxed. His 70's live versions are way to overpowered to my ears and he nealy screams most of the lyrics. Then usually he gave a routine revival of the last verse of the song and the speakers nearly explode because of all the bombast/ millions of background singers/ Joe Guercio's orchestra etc.
    It's similar to his way of presenting "Hurt" live. I'll always have to skip those songs as I can't stand all this screamed lyrics combined with an overblown orchestra.

SKATTERBRANE and mark winstanley like this.
  6. Iceman08

Iceman08 Forum Resident

Right- the tree "detectives" or what they should represent are annoying and unfunny as hell. "Double Trouble" for me is the movie I like the least. Beside "Double Trouble" and "City By Night" (jazzy-Elvis?!) I don't like the songs/ his leading actress has no charisma/ badly portrayed "Europe scenario" with no at least outside filmed scenes/ Elvis' character (or is it also himself?) is annoyed/ stressed throughout the whole film. And then there are "The Three Idiots". Ugh! I'm not exactly sure but I might even more "enjoy" the secene from "Stay Away Joe" where the party/ tear a house down to the grounds which drags on for something like half an hour.

SKATTERBRANE and mark winstanley like this.
  7. Iceman08

Iceman08 Forum Resident

That's a great compilation idea! And as far as I know there hasn't been something like an Elvis lounge/ easy listening themed release before, right? (Only countless ballads/ love-themed releases).

8. Iceman08

Iceman08 Forum Resident

That's how I often felt when flying from Germany over to NYC and later visiting the Country Music Hall Of Fame in Nashville last year. To me "real" country music is for example the Carter Family/ Cash/ Goeorge Jones/ Everly Brothers/ Conway Twitty/ Uncle Tupelo/ Jimmie Rodgers/ some Jeff Tweedy-Wilco, Neko Case stuff/ Hank Thompson/ Gram Parsons/ Emmylou Harris/ Kristofferson/ Waylon etc.
    It's a mind blowing epic museum and I could experience it for days but the more recent singer/ bands they presented the more I thought why is this country and who are those artists?! It may be my "European problem" but I don't understand why Taylor Swift is represented there on such an excessive space (to me her music is purest pop music) or why at all is Garth Brooks that successful in the USA? I think I've heard that charts-wise he is nowadays even more successful than Elvis..?

9. Iceman08

Iceman08 Forum Resident

They are still there, I saw them last year on Graceland grounds. Auction-wise they only act as representatives- they only auction off stuff which belongs to other collectors. Graceland (or EPE) never sell their own belongings but from time to time they buy stuff for their archives / presentation halls.

10. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

I actually never found them, but the Mrs was tired so we didn't get to the Car Museum, so I guess they could have been there.

11. mark winstanley

12. Iceman08

Iceman08 Forum Resident

That's one of the first Elvis albums I bought as a child in the early-mid 80s in Germany. It's a nice unusual compilation (created by the German official Elvis fan club) and a wild ride of music styles over four sides. Most of the soundtrack albums I got much later and this compilation was a mixed experience to me (some songs I liked, lots were not my children's taste). Only after hearing the bonus tracks at the end of a soundtrack album I later realized how good they really were compared to the rest of each soundtrack album.

13. Iceman08

Iceman08 Forum Resident

It is. They did a really nice job with those releases - especially for the 1980s when there was few stuff beside the usual hits release. The official German Elvis fan club released some very nice interesting compilations in cooperation with RCA in those days (also for example "Sings Leiber & Stoller", soundtrack songs only compilations/ soundtrack EPs compiled on albums/ an album of songs connected to Germany etc). They are still releasing an excellent regular magazine for club members and help organize the annual Elvis celebration days in Bad Nauheim. By the way this year they invited Linda Thompson and her brother for some Q&A sessions.

14. Dwight Fry

Dwight Fry Forum Resident

"Hard Luck" popped up via laptop playlist shuffle this evening. Hearing it completely outside the context of the "Frankie And Johnnie" soundtrack was kind of shocking. I played it for my wife, and was explaining to her it was supposed to be from a some sort of 19th century costume drama or something. The only thing that I think could have been done to improve the track would be if Elvis had sung it to like backing, rather than an instrumental track. That said--it's not immediately apparent that his backing isn't live. I like how Elvis was able to take a lightweight, quasi-blues song and give emotional credibility than it probably didn't deserve.

If nothing else, it should have been on "Command Performances: The Essential 60s Masters II" instead of probably a dozen other songs.

15. Iceman08

Iceman08 Forum Resident

In the filmed 1977 Rapid City version after misspeaking some lyrics he is laughing (& sweating) a bit, too. Perhaps Nick Cave meant that.

RSteven and mark winstanley like this.
  16. Iceman08

Iceman08 Forum Resident

And Ernest Borgnine must just have experienced shooting Sam Packinpah's "The Wild Bunch" (released in 1968) as the total artistic opposite to "Speedway"! This was a western movie breaking with so many classic Hollywood traditions in so many ways.

17. Iceman08

Iceman08 Forum Resident

Very interesting, thanks for the information! I recently bought a "How Great Thou Art" copy in a perfect original 1967 cover but with a late 60s orange RCA vinyl label and wondered if this was some kind of mistake/ switched covers? But then there's always the fantastic Elvis Record Research Database with I guess every variation/ pressing plants details you could search for.

18. Iceman08

Iceman08 Forum Resident

Interesting because for years I always thought it was some kind of a major comeback for the 1968 "Elvis" tv special when Elvis came together with Scotty Moore and D. J. Fontana. It "felt" as if they haven't seen each other since 1958. But only now I learned they were there (as sidemen) more or less all the time right until up to the "Speedway" soundtrack (do any pictures exist of Elvis working with Scotty or DJ in the 60s beside the tv special?) . But I guess the general fans didn't notice that as I think for example they weren't mentioned as musicians on Elvis' soundtrack/ studio albums in the 1960s.
    To me there was this great tv special where they finally came together and had a blast creating a live jam/ concert and right after that Scotty and D.J. were never seen again with Elvis until his death. And I always wondered why was it that way? Later I read that Scotty declined Elvis' offer for Vegas concerts (as also did the Jordanaires) because they earned more money by working in Nashville regulary as musicians/ producers/ singers etc. and this seemed logically, too.
    But now I get that they were at least at his side as musicians nearly right up until the 1968 tv special and also maybe thought after all those years it was then time for a change and to concentrate on working with other singers/ musicians.

19. Iceman08

Iceman08 Forum Resident

At least here in Germany you'll find used German or UK pressed copies of "Elvis Sings Flaming Star" all the time (beside all the other RCA Camden/ Pickwick releases and the double album "Elvis Forever" (Vol.1)). But as far as I remember they left out all the Camden releases when re-releasing his back catalogue in the mid 80s.

20. Iceman08

Iceman08 Forum Resident

I see "From Elvis in Memphis" quite often here in Germany (and yes- also millions of "Moody Blue"). It may be connected to being also promoted heavily via a very popular tv magazine of its time (was it "Bild und Funk"? Not sure as I am not near my collection at this moment) like the Beatles' "Sgt. Pepper's..." was also released / promoted with "HÖRZU" magazine stickers and ads which reached lots of people. And then "In The Ghetto" was the last huge hit Elvis had in Germany (still played regulary on the radio).

21. fdsfd

fdsfd Forum Resident

I'm listening to American Sound 1969 on Spotify. Is this a genuinely new release?

22. mark winstanley

Yes.
    It is a new release but it contains predominantly previously released material. Essentially it is the American Sound recordings collected together in one place. Strangely without the masters though.

23. fdsfd

fdsfd Forum Resident

Yeah, I've realised that I'd heard some of the takes from FEIM before. Thanks, Mark.

24. mark winstanley

No Worries Mate.
    I have the discs on order ... and I probably don't need it, but it was beyond my control lol

25. Jaap74

Jaap74 Forum Resident

Nice one Neil ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.