Abbey Road 50th contents, outtakes and sound quality thread .. only

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by audiotom, Aug 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anthony_beat

anthony_beat Forum Resident

I think it's Ringo's new album.
    Or another Lennon Box.

2. Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd. Guess I'm Dumb

This is the mix I'm most confident about. From what I've read from people who got previews, it sounds like he stayed pretty faithful to the original mix. We are just getting more clarity and allowing the album to breath more. For example, the strings on Something and Carry That Weight are longer relegated to one track and therefore will not appear in mono anymore. I have faith the new mix mastered for vinyl and blu ray will be jaw dropping. We will see how the mastering is for the CD and streaming...

3. Understood but why in heavens name do they think that vintage music needs to sound "modern". There's plenty of modern crap which sounds up to date already so why tamper with the classics?

I do realise its all about money!

AudiophilePhil and beatleroadie like this.
  4. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

Hey keeping all OANS outtakes off the Pepper50 box just means more content for the YS deluxe reissue ;)

5. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

Oh, OF COURSE!
    Everybody thank @anthony_beat for pointing out what should've been obvious: there's a thread on Ringo's new album,, and Mike already dropped two hints about it. I can't believe our minds didn't go straight there!

anthony_beat likes this.
  6. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

Ah, forgot about the new Ringo album! I think that’s most likely it.

anthony_beat likes this.
  7. beatleroadie

Sales and streams man. That's what it's mostly about. Apple directors probably don't think that vintage music needs to sound modern, but they aren't the target audience. They've calculated that a significant enough portion of their target audience DOES think old music should still sound new/fresh, and that drives the Apple decision above any personal preferences they may hold.

Wingsfan2012 and SteveM like this.
  8. beatleroadie

+1 for another Lennon box announcement. I don't think there will be another Beatles release in addition to the Singles Box this year, and with all the obvious effort and detail they put into the Imagine box, I could see the Lennon estate putting out something similar (minus the book and film) every year till they run out of John albums to do.

Hoping for:

2019 - Walls and Bridges
    2020 - Double Fantasy / 1980 sessions
    2021 - Plastic Ono Band
    2022 - Sometime in NYC / Lennon Live in NY combo box
    2023 - Mind Games
    2024 - Rock & Roll

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
    Wingsfan2012, oboogie and joeislive like this.
  9. WildWildHorses49

WildWildHorses49 Forum Resident

I can't believe it either, that was literally the most obvious thing

10. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

Can’t tell is that’s sarcasm lol. But seriously why would a new Ringo album warrant clues and hints? Not that I think any of this stuff does necessarily, but a new archive set or -my hope- a new Lennon set would, based on previous experience

Yorick likes this.
  11. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

Well, going back to the multis provides more clarity. Apart from that, I agree with you: AR is perfect as is and doesn't need a remix.

I would be happy if Giles replicated the original mix (Maybe some minor tweak like centering the vocals in HCTS, although that never bothered me) and remixed just for extra fidelity.

SteveM and recordromantic like this.
  12. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

Also, I still feel the next Archive whatever it winds up being will be closer to the end of the year like last year, since Paul may want to focus on promoting his children's book and Linda’s new photo book.

beatleroadie likes this.
  13. beatleroadie

For sure! I think a mid-September announcement and mid-November release makes a lot of sense for a new Lennon box.

With the Beatles Singles Box arriving in late Nov, and a McCartney Archive set arriving in early December.

14. MPLRecords

Not sarcastic in the slightest. Mike dropped two hints (nearly simultaneously) about the Ringo album, and yet we didn't go for that first. Good catch on Anthony's part, and I'm surprised that the rest of us didn't go straight to it. It was so obvious!

beatsurrender likes this.
  15. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

Although Mike said it would be announced in between promotion and release if Abbey Road, which if it is a Lennon box could mean an October release. And the Lennon estate usually likes to release stuff close to John’s birthday. I’m getting myself excited here

16. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

I missed em. What were they?

17. MPLRecords

18. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

As far as Oh Darling, a friend in radio was at the listening event on Monday where he was told Oh Darling would be out this Friday and when I was asking about the event, told me. When I didn't see it at 1201am and then again early this morning, I emailed to ask if it was still coming and told it had been pushed back by Apple. No timeline given but decision was apparently made mid week

19. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Resident

Because there's a market for it (me, for instance). A better question is why you care, since it doesn't affect you.

20. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

Ah. Sorry Ringo, but that’s kind of a let down. Lol I’ll still buy your album but I got myself pretty hyped there for a few minutes

21. mikecarrera

mikecarrera Forum Resident

Maybe you won't be let down:righton:

22. Bern

Bern JC4Me

Might be time for a shower....

Kim Olesen likes this.
  23. Beatle Ed

Beatle Ed Forum Resident

I couldn't be less interested in making vintage music sound "modern" (awful concept!) or centred drums etc etc. But...I like remixes for added clarity and sharpness, as if a layer of dirt and dust has suddenly been removed from favourite recordings (and is the reason I'll always go to the remix over an original if one is available). That is the very big reason it's worthwhile to do them. :righton:

24. WildWildHorses49

WildWildHorses49 Forum Resident

Let me guess: a least one song features Paul? again...
    A collection of re-recordings of never published /never recorded songs?
    A collection of unreleased songs that features Paul and/or George?

25. beatleroadie

See Apple is doing a good thing. Making lots of different people happy. Anytime you can get people buying the same product for different reasons, and at this scale, you're doing OK. Never easy!

Beatle Ed likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.