The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. uzn007

uzn007 Pack Rat

Well, good point, but it's just an example. The reason I find it a compelling example is because it's such a legendarily-good-sounding SBD. Even with multiple SBD copies and an official release, I still reach for the AUD on this one. The same dynamic exists on other audience tapes but they don't spring to mind because I don't necessarily have a legendary SBD tape to compare them to.

Crispy Rob, ianuaditis, sami and 3 others like this.
  2. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

On the topic of China-Rider, I just listened to one from 5/13/83 with an interesting intro. It goes longer than usual because for some reason Weir isn't playing, then Garcia plays a version of Weir's riff, then Weir comes in and they play it together for one or two rounds.

3. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Yeah that Dark Star is definitely worth listening to. Out of Space there's a little jam that I think sounds like Good Morning, Little Schoolgirl (maybe)

Crispy Rob and ianuaditis like this.
  4. uzn007

uzn007 Pack Rat

Cheeky.

Thanks for doing the research. I'm still sad that I lost my Deadbase IV back in the early 90s... I was going to suggest that the song was gone for several years and came back with the new riff in the 80s.

BTW, I think the technique on the 80s riff is to pick the first note and then hammer-on the second two. It's the same riff in the same position played on the bottom three strings, so you start on F and hammer-on F# and G, then move to A# and hammer-on to B and C, etc.

Crispy Rob, trd and bzfgt like this.
  5. dgwint

dgwint Forum Resident

The 10/25/69 Airplane performance is very strong. Definitely worth seeking out.

[​IMG]

6. uzn007

uzn007 Pack Rat

7. uzn007

uzn007 Pack Rat

32 years ago today....

8. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

Zafu, budwhite, uzn007 and 1 other person like this.
  9. uzn007

uzn007 Pack Rat

Random request: Does anyone have a gif of that hippie up at the front of the rail at Winterland from The Grateful Dead Movie?

sparkmeister likes this.
  10. garymc

garymc Forum Resident

Thanks. I wasn’t being a smartass. I was truly confused that anyone on this thread wouldn’t know Welnick. Thanks for clarifying.

11. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

In @ratstack and @bzfgt you've run into two of the biggest smartasses in this forum. :cop:

notesofachord, trd, KCWhistle and 3 others like this.
  12. ratstack

ratstack Forum Resident

Have it on now and will report my findings, General.

Crispy Rob, bzfgt and uzn007 like this.
  13. uzn007

uzn007 Pack Rat

I was preparing to listen to it and got distracted by this smokin' JGB cut:

I want to check out that Airplane show that Dave posted, too.

14. bzfgt

Yeah, that sounds right, I learned to play it once but don't remember it. The research, such as it was, only took about 4 minutes...I've done this with a couple other things; I go here:

Cumberland Blues by Grateful Dead Concert Statistics | setlist.fm

which once in a while doesn't have something, and then I'm lost.

And then I just look at all the potentially relevant dates, and look up and play the relevant part of the relevant song on the rel...uh, on the Archive

ianuaditis and US Blues like this.
  15. uzn007

uzn007 Pack Rat

Now that I think of it, the last part of the riff may be hybrid picking. I.e. there are three rising licks that are played with hammer-ons, then a chordal thing (C to Bb?) that he may play with his fingers. I always played the whole thing with a pick when I played it because I'm not good enough to do hybrid picking.

Crispy Rob, bzfgt, trd and 1 other person like this.
  16. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

I was there. My first show. Insane.

I was there, too. We had so much fun that the town never invited us back. :o

17. trd

trd Forum Resident

Notably the interplay between Weir and Garcia is far easier to distinguish in the AUD version of this show than the SBD

18. Jman92

Jman92 Forum Resident

ianuaditis likes this.
  19. uzn007

uzn007 Pack Rat

Brings a whole new meaning to the expression "couch tour", but unfortunately the video is blocked for me (the "Immigrant Song" video on the same page plays fine).

20. Jman92

Jman92 Forum Resident

Odd! It's just a youtube video-- plays fine on my end. Don't know if it'll make a difference but here's a direct link

Smokin' version of Eyes to boot.

uzn007 and Matthew Tate like this.
  21. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Forum Resident

IWT. Only one verse. Weir starts by accident (I believe) with the 2nd and they just take it from there.

Crispy Rob, Billy_Sunday, trd and 2 others like this.
  22. bzfgt

Ah, I was on the internet and not listening as attentively as possible I guess, I heard the second and thought it was 2nd.

Mad Dog likes this.
  23. bzfgt

Even the bot prefers Relisten. Is that really a bot? I always thought it was a real bot, but is the bot really programmed to answer questions like "Why Relisten and not the Archive"? I am now skeptical about this whole bot thing.

24. bzfgt

Must have been the stunt with the frog that pissed them off

Crispy Rob likes this.
  25. bzfgt

1978-06-04 The setlist indeed looks pedestrian (like many shows from 1978). Bertha is extremely energetic; that's as far as I've gotten thus far...

EDIT: maybe not pedestrian, just standard for the year