Abbey Road 50th contents, outtakes and sound quality thread .. only

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by audiotom, Aug 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MoonPool

MoonPool Senior Member

Let’s not forget the surround sound mixes. Those are a major feature for me and many others.

2. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident

They remixed Come Together 5 times and couldn’t improve on the original by centering the drums? Giles needs to hire a new engineer. Paul Hicks would be a good option.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
    joeislive likes this.
  3. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

:goodie: @mikecarrera I humbly await your next avatar pic change!

Wingsfan2012 likes this.
  4. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

Honestly I'm excited about the surround mixes too. I don't have a surround system set up but I plan to have that one day, so it'll be a delayed gratification gift I'm looking forward to opening one day :)

Beatle Ed and MoonPool like this.
  5. Colour me a purist, that's why!

6. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Resident

That's fine for you. I'm asking why your purism extends to me.

7. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

I like Paul Hicks work on beatle stuff. Particularly the Help soundtrack. (Still the best Beatlesremixes so far imo. Probably because they showed how well it was recorded, something that didn’t come across in all of the 65 mixes). But Paul did not always center the drums either.

Gila, Onder, Bern and 2 others like this.
  8. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident

Maybe I’m missing something here. Maybe it’s due to limitations. I just thought that with modern tech it could be done.

9. Kim Olesen

For 69 stuff no sweat. But demixing tech is not perfect. Demixing a snare and acustic guitar is not cutting it yet. Or at least it wasn’t 2 years ago. It is not a wonder drug that’ll do all.

Onder and bherbert like this.
  10. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident

But then how is Giles able to put the drums in the middle for Paperback Writer but not Lady Madonna? Or centered drums on Can’t Buy Me Love but not on Day Tripper?

11. Kim Olesen

Sometimes the seperation of elements are succesful. Sometimes not. That is where the tech is now.

bherbert likes this.
  12. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

It's not your fault those greedy urchins want more than one meal a day.

13. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

I don't want any of the classic albums to sound "more modern." That term sounds scary. If the album sounds great from the get-go, it does not need a digital remix. The only improvement we can achieve on sound quality is by reissuing the original analog stereo mix from the first-generation analog master copy by using a more advanced audio equipment, utilizing the best virgin vinyl material and using the best vinyl/CD pressing plants in the world with sate-of-the-art quality control.

sgtmono likes this.
  14. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident

Thanks. That makes sense.

Lluis and Kim Olesen like this.
  15. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

Fingers crossed for good news.

16. Gavaxeman

Gavaxeman Take me back to dear old Blighty...

So I’ve lived with the vinyl and CD Sgt Pepper 2017 mix for two years now...listening thru same speakers etc.. decent turntable and cartridge vs a Sony mega 300 jukebox CD player

And I prefer the CD,..

The vinyl is nice and polite and quite close to the original...

The CD is different ..it’s defo louder ..it’s more in your face ..the bass is great ... the backing vocals come thru more ..the drums are more audible.. even the quiet songs seem more ...pronounced..

I’m hoping the Abbey Road remix gets radical...

I’ll report back on the white album in 2020

17. saborlord123

saborlord123 "I'm not a genius. I'm just a hard working guy."

Gavaxeman and Panama Jack like this.
  18. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

Actually I've been listening to that and Old Brown Shoe all morning. Just lovely....

Norman garriock and Fred1970 like this.
  19. Cristiano Cortellazzi

Cristiano Cortellazzi Forum Resident

That would be too much! Quite a good pun though... well, it's a pun, ISNT'T IT? o_O

20. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

That doesn’t count as an album. :)

Vinyldood likes this.
  21. Ricardo Cosinaro

Ricardo Cosinaro Forum Resident

While in London for the 50th anniversary AR lecture I dropped by St John's Wood Collectables (sic). Roger, one of the proprietors, and I discussed this photo and he told me that for the longest time folks thought that was Ringo's mom (mum) but that a couple years ago someone came forward with proof that it was THEIR mother. Roger knew the lady's name but unfortunately I don't remember it.

Wingsfan2012, goer, Shawn and 4 others like this.
  22. Ken Wood

Ken Wood Forum Resident

LOL! You dug out my old page about Ringo`s hair! I completly forgot it is still online!

pablo fanques, applejam101 and Mal like this.
  23. Gila

Gila Forum Resident

He didn't really. The guitar stuff is on the same track with the drums, so in 1+ mix they are slightly to the left. Bass was on separate track and is shifted just a little bit to the right. The huge "paperback writer" vocals are spread left and right.

I don't think he used digital extraction on Paperback Writer.. Maybe they have some magical stuff now, because in 2009 Rockband version separated drums and guitar(s) have constant artifacts in sound. But I don't think it improved too much by 2015 or whenever they did 1+ mix, since guitars and drums are still lumped together.

Interesting how this mix is kind of very "narrow" but for some of the other stuff like While My Gutiar Gently Weeps they go completely opposite way.

24. Gila

Gila Forum Resident

I think that just comes out of the way they started. When they had 2-track recording, that was it - you put most of the instruments on one track, all the vocals and the rest on another track. And they had to do it live, you couldn't re-record a certain part in this setup really.

With 4-track they were recording rhythm/basic track on ONE track of the tape (this means drums, bass, and one or two guitars all on the same track locked together) and used other 3 remaining tracks for overdubbing the vocals, double-tracking the vocals, and recording additional instruments or parts. It seems that this practice continued even deep into 1967, even when they were using "reduction mixes" to record and add more stuff. That's just how they used to do it. Day Tripper is what, 2 or 3 basic takes?

Why not? Mono Revolver has a lot of 'sand' in its sound, I don't know how to describe it. In Taxman the distortion is audible, it's also apparently very very compressed and some stuff just got buried, like drums in Got to Get You into My Life, which people mention a lot. And why not? Mixes on 1/1+ aren't bad although Yellow Sumbarine Songtrack mixes are even more pleasant in headphones.

Keith V, pablo fanques and bherbert like this.
  25. Contact Lost

Contact Lost Forum Resident

I would love to hear some examples of well extracted bits, but I remain skeptical about this technology because of possible sonic distortions and overall unnatural result. But who knows after all.
    So far, my impression was that Giles / Sam weren't separating instruments if they were recorded on a single track. Like in A day in the life mixes, bass and drums were shifted together etc.
    I was listening to We can work it out the other day, and I still think it's lopsided even on the 1+. They put too much on the left side there, but I don't know how this track was recorded. It suppose to be no different to other Rubber Soul sessions material.

Gila likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.