“The Boys” from Eric Kripke and Amazon-

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by wayneklein, Jul 27, 2019.

1. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

Here's some good advice: If you're introduced to a woman named "Popclaw", run away.

4_everyman and EVOLVIST like this.
  2. Now that you've brought her up, either I missed it, or it's a little gaff in the storyline, but...(I don't think I'm giving away spoilers here)...how come Popclow didn't just kill them when they first approached her after she did what she did? She already had one mess to clean up, what's two more? Was it implied somehow that they could release the video, so even if she killed them it would still go public?

3. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

I'm in the same boat. I actually re-read the entire series over a week's span before I started watching the show as honestly, I think Garth Ennis kind of dropped the ball to some degree the last year or so of the run and I never had the desire to go re-read the series in the following years like I've done with other major runs of comics like Preacher and Planetary.

I'm up to episode 7 and I'm really enjoying the series. The changes from the comics don't bother me nearly as much as how badly they've screwed up Preacher which is a shame, as the Preacher comics are my favorite series from the past 25 years. I agree with your opinion regarding Butcher and Raynor but I think there's still room for that scenario to develop.

EVOLVIST likes this.
  4. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

Good question. I think it was implied that the video would come out. I'd like to know why Homelander was so skeptical about Hughie's interest in Annie. What did he do that drew his suspicion? (I'm only on episode 5).

5. This is 100% my feelings, too. The Boys doesn't have to be linear to the comic, because the events in the comic are written more loosely, than say Preacher. There was no reason, at all, in Preacher that they couldn't have taken Preacher in a very linear fashion. Preacher is written like a film on paper. The reveals in Preacher happen in increments, where each one is equally satisfying, keeping a potential TV audience on their toes. You also fall in love with the characters (and the TV show was great in their casting), so it could have really followed the comic, thus making the show better. Much better. That's contrasted with The Boys, where it's completely understandable - even necessary - to introduce Compound V early, because of that non-linearity.

As @Vidiot introduced, he sees it as a spoof...and I guess he's right, because reflecting on the comic, there was a lot of enjoyable jokes, and silly heroes, but without some thought into translating it to TV it would have went beyond spoof, into the farcical due to the change in medium. In other words, a spoof is better than a farce when showing this to people who don't know the comic. There's just enough dark comedy in The Boys TV show to let the audience know that its not completely serious (and even some far-out gratuitous gore and laughs, like the comic), yet they do a great job in the show by weaving in serious moments, as well.

I'm really looking forward to Season 2, because hey, as a fan of the comic, at the end of the first season, I have no idea where they are going; I'm in suspense like everybody else!

Next up, Y:The Last Man. I think it would be difficult to screw that one up.

Vidiot likes this.
  6. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

Don't get too friendly with "Ice Queen" either!!!!!........:eek:

7. Partyslammer

SNAP!

Literally.

Linger63 likes this.
  8. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

I was a huge fan of Preacher comic but never could get into The Boys, but I really enjoyed the video version and am looking forward to season 2.

John K

9. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

Really enjoyed all the episodes until the final one, which I thought was rubbish.
    I don’t do loose ends or ‘to be continued next series’. Felt a little cheated there were no conclusions.

10. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

I'm hoping the Love Sausage makes an appearance in Season 2 :p

11. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

As an old time comicbook guy, it's fun but also really interesting to see how what's been happening in the books since the '60's has manifested itself on screen. The 'trends' in the books also have taken root over the passage of time, most prominently being the shift from the light to the dark. Seeing series like the Boys, Preacher, American Gods, etc. also reflect the trends, but from over a decade ago! I stopped being a comicbook buyer many years ago, now I scratch my itch at the library, so I consider myself out of the loop of what's fresh and current. But I wonder what masterpieces are being told right NOW that we may see on the screen years from now!?

Vidiot likes this.
  12. mr. steak

mr. steak Forum Resident

Very enjoyable. When it got dark it got creepy dark. Really nice super hero farce.

Had no idea Hugh was the kid of Quaid/Ryan till the wife told me during the last episode.

If Chuck McGill, Howard Hamlin and Pat Sajak went into a teleport pod together you'd get Homelander. Great character.

Linger63 and GentleSenator like this.
  13. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

i love this. sounds good.

Linger63 likes this.
  14. Partyslammer

Finished the first season tonight. The show just got better n' better as it closed down on the last episode. The way the show has been structured and some key events juggled around, if they only get a 2nd season out of the show, they still could convincingly wrap it without wrecking the flow or intent of the overall original comics story. Personally, I hope they get at least 4 seasons out of it.

Vidiot likes this.
  15. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

They got something like 80 comic book issues out of it, so I think 4 TV seasons is definitely possible.

16. mr. steak

mr. steak Forum Resident

I've seen a video comparing the comic to the show and how the two vary, sometimes wildly. Like for one Stillwell was a man so everything that happened between Shue and Homelander was not in the comics.

17. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Shue's a primary player and, for me, one of the main attractions of the project so it was a good decision!

18. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

This show was low on my priority list, because superhero based shows are typically low on my watch totem pole.

But I was looking for something to watch and decided to give this a chance. Glad I did. It's excellent, and nicely flips the superhero paradigm on its head.

mr. steak likes this.
  19. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

That...was...great!

Linger63 and chrischerm like this.
  20. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Hey, don't forget The Watchmen is about to launch on HBO on October 20. And I think that's even darker and weirder than The Boys.

marmalade166 likes this.
  21. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

Eric Kripke was not involved with Heroes. That was Tim Kring. Eric Kripke was most well-known prior to The Boys for creating Supernatural, which he stopped showrunning after season five (and the show is now in its 15th season)!

My husband watched The Boys when it came out this summer and absolutely loved it. He actually marathoned the whole thing in one day. He has been trying to get me to watch it ever since. I was reticent because I'm just completely over explicit violence and R-rated material, but he wore me down. I am watching it with him now and through episode four. I'm enjoying it for the most part, though I do still wish it were less violent and disgusting. I like the storytelling and world-building. Really strong scripting. It took me a few episodes to warm up to any of the characters but I am invested now, particularly in Frenchie and Mother's Milk. Homelander is fascinating and despicable. I'm interested to see more from Queen Maeve.

I did have a weird nitpick. Hughie is established as a softie/sensitive type guy. He tells Butcher that his three favorite artists are James Taylor, Simon & Garfunkel and Billy Joel. And yet the show can't commit to him being 'uncool' in that way and have to keep stuffing him in band shirts for artists like Ramones and Van Halen--artists with more 'cool' points. I understand that in the real world a person can love both JT and Ramones equally, but if they are trying to create a clear characterization, I think they should have leaned harder into Hughie being more of a dweeb.

22. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Sorry, my mistake: Kripke was with Revolution, which was a different bomb sci-fi series! All these failed shows run together for me after awhile. There's a long list of shows like this that tried to recapture the mystique of Lost without much success.

I have to say, he's completely redeemed himself with The Boys, and this show is a lot of fun. Seth Rogan was recently interviewed on Howard Stern and talked a bit about how and why he executive-produced the show and how glad they were to get Kripke to run the series. It's a rare show like this where they have almost no limits and no censorship in terms with what they can get away with.

I believe Rogan made the point in his interview that the reason why they got it on the air was specifically because it was violent and disgusting. Without that, he wouldn't have been interested in getting it on the air. The comic book is even more intense and goes into some... shall we say, unexpected directions. Co-creator Garth Ennis says:

Ennis has said that The Boys would "out-Preacher Preacher", presumably referring to the extreme violence and sexuality that were that series' hallmark.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Boys_(comics)

23. marmalade166

Looks like we might be getting Herogasm in Season 2... :winkgrin:

EVOLVIST and Bender Rodriguez like this.
  24. marmalade166

Weird, dunno why Amazon pulled the trailer but this trailer review has a copy of it at the beginning

25. Thesmellofvinyl

Thesmellofvinyl Senior Member

Maybe time was of the essence. She welcomed their assistance in cleaning up quickly, before A-Train got back?

I say ‘maybe’ because she did invite the landlord in, even after watching her beau wrap up his post-race news conference; he’s fast, so he could have been back any minute.