Rolling Stones 2019 U.S. Summer Tour

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bowie Fett, Nov 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Randy5554

Randy5554 Forum Resident

Hoping to get either Whip or All Down the Line in Phoenix on Monday!

The MEZ, Matthew Tate and OldSoul like this.
  2. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

I imagine people are still trying to get out of the Rose Bowl parking lot this morning after last night's show.

3. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

The Rose Bowl show was great! We got lucky dipped into section 4, row 68. I guess that sounds like bad seats, but that whole place is bad seats--it's a stadium. :D As far as the spoils of Lucky Dip, we were in $300+ seats for $45 a piece after fees. So, really, no matter where we ended up sitting, we were already "winners." Someone in our section started a "Lucky Dip" chant before the show, and someone shouted, "Woo hoo! Paid less than $100 for my seat! That's the measure of victory at a Stones show these days.

The show was as good as any Stones show I've seen (2005, 2015). Mick was great. Based on some of the comments in this thread, I thought we were going to get near catatonic Keith that can't play guitar anymore, with Ronnie doing everything, but that didn't happen. He was great on "You Got The Silver" and "Before They Make Me Run."

The fan choice was "She's A Rainbow," which is of course a great studio track, but live it was kind of lesser. Chuck Leavell was great on it, but some songs are not built for a live stadium performance, and that's one of them in my opinion. The highlights for me were "Midnight Rambler" and "Gimme Shelter."

Mick apologized for making everyone reschedule "because of us." That was nice. He didn't have to say anything.

Before the show started, Robert Downey, Jr. came out and informed everyone that NASA landed something on Mars which caused a small rock to roll, so NASA's super inventive PR department named it Rolling Stones Rock, and made it a thing for the show, or whatever. I guess we were watching Mr. Downey because he was Iron Man, and somehow that facilitates a NASA tie-in? Whatever--L.A.

Anyway, great show! All sorts of different people, young, old, etc. like the Stones. They can still fill stadiums. Who knew? That said, there were about three empty seats next to me.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
  4. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Good to hear!! I'm glad you had a great time!

wavethatflag and The MEZ like this.
  5. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

My sister and her 15 year old daughter went and they came back raving about the show. Pretty amazing

laf848, GoodKitty, Hot Ptah and 4 others like this.
  6. coniferouspine

coniferouspine Forum Resident

It's Only Rock N' Roll
    Sad Sad Sad
    Bitch
    Out Of Control
    Honky Tonk Women
    intro to Paint It Black
    Satisfaction

aphexj, tkl7, budwhite and 2 others like this.
  7. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Keith is playing more on this tour than he was 10 years ago. I would not say he's soft pedaling. If your last Stones show was in 1990, I could see that argument, but compared to more recent tours, it is actually the opposite.

Peachy, aphexj, TonyCzar and 2 others like this.
  8. Python

Python Forum Resident

What were the other choices (or should I say, "choices" ; ) ?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  9. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

When The Whip Comes Down

She's A Rainbow

She's So Cold

Live With Me

Matthew Tate and The MEZ like this.
  10. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Still waiting for Live With Me to be played.

The MEZ and Matthew Tate like this.
  11. budwhite

Keith is very active and his playing is really good and it lifts the performance up to another level.
    I'm really impressed by Richards on this tour!

Jumpin Jack X St Clara CA

12. Python

Python Forum Resident

I think Rolling stone reported earlier this year that he supposedly wasn't really drinking any more...can't remember if it was in general, or just for shows, but either way, that probably helps...

JoeRockhead and The MEZ like this.
  13. Randal_SS

Randal_SS Jammin' Econo

I have no idea what he was doing 10 years ago. That said, my opinion is that he played more in 2015 than he did this year (at least comparing the 2015 Columbus and Buffalo shows against the 2019 Philly show).

14. Bowie Fett

Bowie Fett Forum Resident Thread Starter

The Rose Bowl show in Pasadena, CA was fantastic.

The screens when the band left the stage: “See You Soon”

An arena tour to support the new studio album?

15. docwebb

docwebb Forum Resident

Rose Bowl concert was fantastic. Great musicianship by the Stones; their playing is at a peak. And free pot just by breathing the air....hope I don't get drug tested at work.
    Mick and Ronnie were all over the stage, their energy level was amazing. Ronnie was just grinning like a kid at the playground. Keith mostly stood around but I could see he was really playing (not just posing as in some prior concerts I have attended). I believe he did announce he was giving up hard liquor for the tour; it really helped his playing. One could see the love Ronnie and Keith had for each other. Dead Flowers was an amazing quiet interlude. Don't know when I'll see them again; I hope it happens someday.

16. budwhite

Rainbow is quite nice. Much better than expected.
    It's a joy to watch Mick, Keith and Charlie on the intro to You can't always get what you want.
    Keith with a Telecaster playing those licks is so classic.

17. budwhite

The soundmix must be really good this tour. The guitars are loud on almost every video I have listened to.

Bless you Keith!

18. budwhite

Keith is getting better and better on this tour

He even plays guitar(sometimes) wile singing Before they make me run

MRamble and wavethatflag like this.
  19. budwhite

They know how to open a show!

MRamble, wavethatflag and streetlegal like this.
  20. budwhite

I'm amazed. They sound fantastic! Keith's guitar is loud and it rocks man

laf848, Hiraeth, MRamble and 2 others like this.
  21. budwhite

Moves like Jagger.
    He's the hardest working senior in the showbizz

Billy_Sunday, laf848, DavidD and 2 others like this.
  22. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Raw, grungy, filthy grit- definitely the greatest 60's era band still playing -:thumbsup:

23. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Not that it's "cheating" exactly, but there are certain songs where Keith's guitar is deliberately overdriven and louder than just about everything else in the mix. JJF - every night. Definitely.

(Not complaining. It leaves 1975 in the dust, and they don't leave the effect on all night.)

Haven't decided yet if they're doing it to such an extent on SFM, but it feels there. I don't think they're doing it on almost all of the rest of the set, "Rambler" included.

I also definitely noticed it on the Santa Clara "Rocks Off". Which surprised me at first, but it turns out to be one of the better ideas they've had.Big payoff, too. Didn't overpower Sasha or the horns.

Again - not complaining; I love it, and the sound men are using their powers wisely and only for good.

24. FrixFrixFrix

FrixFrixFrix Senior Member

They definitely cranked him up to 11 for the solo in ‘Sympathy for the Devil’ in Denver. Very effective, honestly.

25. knob twirler

knob twirler Senior Member

That’s something I noticed the sound techs doing for Keith at times going back to the Zip Code tour. It was fun, to me, to hear his sometimes sparse playing then blaring through the live mix.

TonyCzar and Matthew Tate like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.