Pink Floyd The Later Years - Specul/ation (Pre-release)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DylanPeggin, Jul 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wilberforce55

wilberforce55 Forum Resident

Warren Zevon did an Industrial album, Transverse City in 1989, featuring David Gilmour in "the Later Years" era on one blistering track

Billy_Sunday and Runicen like this.
  2. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Run Straight Down. I got into a bad car accident while this song was playing. A car plowed into mine and totaled my car. Amazing I survived let alone unscathed.

Back on topic. Hoping for an announcement on the anniversary of the release of AMLOR (September 7).

3. oneslip17

oneslip17 Forum Resident

I went through the proper channels and found the complete video for this show. It's the first footage of any proper '89 show that I've watched in many years. A great video! Thanks for pointing this one out!

4. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

That was an amazing turn from Gilmour. Considering Transverse City is as close as Zevon got to making a Floyd album, it seems vaguely appropriate!

Very glad you're still with us. Hoping that song has since been rehabilitated for you. That'd be one grim association.

rontoon likes this.
  5. bboynexus

bboynexus Forum Resident

Do you think they would announce it on a Saturday?

6. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

No, but maybe that week.

7. Azza200

Azza200 Forum Resident

glad you liked mate. It is one of the best shot shows from 1989 and is a very good performance

rontoon and oneslip17 like this.
  8. Azza200

Azza200 Forum Resident

yeah it does the lighting design has stood the test of time with the use of the droids and the stage droids give a really cool effect. Very original, something they lacked a bit with the 94 lighting

St. Troy and rontoon like this.
  9. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

I agree. The 88 show was really amazing but the DB tour was less interesting to me.
    I did prefer AMLOR to TDB and most of the other songs were identical.
    In 88, I was 16 and this was one of the first big concerts I went to with friends only, so it was a more memorable night anyway.

Billy_Sunday and Azza200 like this.
  10. Azza200

Azza200 Forum Resident

On this day

rontoon likes this.
  11. Azza200

Azza200 Forum Resident

rontoon likes this.
  12. Azza200

Azza200 Forum Resident

So i was watching the Paris 1st June DVD a few moments ago ,the WTTM clip i posted is not the best quality but the lighting spotlights from the stage they suited the song so well and had your attention during the whole song while they went thru their lighting sequences. A lighting effect no song had during 1994 which comes close to that. Even the One Of These Days light show on the 88-89 leg is impressive which the 1st June show captures really well.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
    superstar19 likes this.
  13. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

I listened to AMLOR start to finish for the first time in many years a couple of days ago. It's going to need a major remix to redeem itself for me. All the bass guitar needs redoing as do all the drums, the keyboards too, the vocals have to much reverb, there is too much going, it's too drenched there's no space, it does not breathe., it's a cacophony of dreadful 80's production. I could be more forgiving if it had been released as Gilmour solo album. Rant done, OAO.

14. PJayBe

PJayBe Forum Resident

Apart from that, it's not too bad then.....

tcj, bobloblaw, Brautigan and 8 others like this.
  15. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Hello and welcome! Hey, are you the host of that Floyd website Pulse&Spirit? That's a great site!

mc9 and xXFloydianXx like this.
  16. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

So it's not so much the music but rather the artist's name that bothers you? o_O

tcj, Big Pasi, RangerXT and 16 others like this.
  17. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

Not sure anymore, I've confused myself now :confused:. Anyway, I have never really been happy with AMLOR, I bought it day of release (LP), I was a little disappointed, it was not quite what I had expected, underwhelming I thought. Maybe thinking of it as a Gilmour solo album eases the pain a little, also it made me realise how important Roger Waters had been to Pink Floyd.

St. Troy and rontoon like this.
  18. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Funny because it's The Final Cut that made me realize how much Roger was taking Pink Floyd further in a direction that I didn't care for. But he was integral before then. AMLOR, with all its flaws, was a still refreshing reboot to me.

19. pinkpurpl

pinkpurpl Forum Resident

Pulse & Spirit has much actual information about everything Floyd & Solo. I visit it daily!

Pulse & Spirit, mc9 and andrewskyDE like this.
  20. pinkpurpl

pinkpurpl Forum Resident

So at the moment we wait for the first week of September....

@ rontoon
    Do you think there is a press conference in London....or do we get only an info from the Floyd Management?

21. pinkpurpl

pinkpurpl Forum Resident

In Germany we have a prog rock magazine called eclipsed which was formerly known as a Floyd Fanzine....

Sadly nothing about the box in the previews for the october issue....

I know, nobody will like this post...:shrug:

22. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

My confusion at the often disliked Momentary Lapse Of Reason, is only matched by my confusion at the often disliked Final Cut.

23. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I know Eclipsed. I have a couple old issues of that mag. Sometimes they included nice Prog compilation CDs. From there I actually got to know bands like King Crimson!

24. themisto

themisto Forum Resident

So, are you therefore confused by the often liked "Dark Side..." & "Wish You Were Here"?

25. I'm pretty much in agreement on all this. I've said this before, but I think The Final Cut is an excellent experience akin to seeing a good stage-show (i.e. 'play'), albeit one with lots of incidental music. I might really enjoy seeing The Death of a Salesman once every decade or so, but that's about all I need in terms of repeated exposure. Thus I haven't owned a copy of The Final Cut in the last 25 years, and I'm content to 'spin' it off YouTube once every 6 or 8 years at most. A great work, sure, but not because of the musical meat on the bone. (I feel the same way about 80% of The Wall too, BTW.)

AMLOR is certainly flawed -- probably a lot more than The Final Cut -- but I agree that AMLOR is more of a breath of fresh air (to me), flaws and all. And I think most of it's flaws are (deep) production choices, not in the basic bones of the music (compositionally).

So I do really enjoy The Final Cut, but only once or twice a *decade*. And I have LOTS of mixed feelings about AMLOR, but I enjoy / have deep consternations about it at least *annually*.

So damn right I'm looking forward to a hopefully semi-radical reconstruction of AMLOR
    -- which I don't hate at all, but I'd sure "like to like" better! :)

Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.