Seattle's Best Record Shop for Collectors?

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by StevenC, May 21, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. googlymoogly

googlymoogly Forum Resident

All he needs to do now is establish a super-duper LP cleaning service, curate the crap out of the established titles, hype the "tube magic" to the heavens, and begin charging hot stamper prices!

2. StevenC

StevenC SUEDE > Both Oasis AND Blur. Thread Starter

So I am the original poster and I was able to make it to Daybreak and to JiveTime and SubPop at SeaTac. Here's what I got:

At SubPop: Nirvana, "Live at the Paramount" Re-Issue
    Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever, newest 7"

At JiveTime:

XTC "Skylarking" Original US Vinyl w/ "Dear God", Near Mint - $29.99
    Rolling Stones "Dirty Work" in perfect Red shrink with hype sticker $7.99
    Rolling Stones "Their Satanic Majesty's Request" - MONO Canadian issue w/ lenticular cover. Original issue: $39.99
    Beatles - 4-track Spanish 7" featuring "A Day In the Life" $20
    Beatles "Free As a Bird" 7" $7.00

At Daybreak:

Paul Weller "A Kind Revolution" NM, looks unplayed $14.00

Thanks again for the recommendations.

3. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

That mono Canadian Satanic should sound fantastic! My US does.

4. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

was it really $29.99 for skylarking?!

5. StevenC

yes. Nice shape. Aqua and gold cover. US issue.

6. BigMikeATL

BigMikeATL Well-Known Member

Jive Time is small but specializes in used vinyl, so here is always plenty to choose from. My personal favorite is Easy Street Records over in West Seattle. I'd describe their selection as a bit more premium, with a great mix of new and used.

MarkO likes this.
  7. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

i don't know, easy street has been a bit of a let down for me in recent years. they really overprice the used stuff. i miss the queen anne location.

looks like i need to check out jive time again as i've not been in for over 10 years. still not sure i'd pay $30 for skylarking though!

Spitfire likes this.
  8. StevenC

yeah... I have a bit of buyer's remorse because I realize they did an Abbey Road remaster from the original master tapes and created a 45rpm 2LP version and a 1 LP 33rpm version... You can choose from either. BOTH editions contain "Dear God" and "Mermaid Smiles". My version omits "Mermaid Smiled" and has the backwards polarity no one was happy with. It was just the nicest Near Mint and in tight, clean shrink and I got caught up in that... "I may never find it like this again" sort of thing... Haven't you ever felt that?

lightbulb and GentleSenator like this.
  9. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

uh, yeah. more than i care to think about :)

lightbulb likes this.
  10. nancybrooke

nancybrooke Not quite Senior Member

Quick update, Easy Street right now has 5 bins of nice condition post-punk, industrial, krautrock, prog, synth-pop, goth and various 80s for sale, quite an amazing selection! (who just sold off their collection?). You don't often seen copies of Return of The Durutti Column (in the sandpaper sleeve) in the used bins...my budget would only allow a nostalgia purchase of the 12" of "Up The Down Elevator" by The Chameleons, which I used to own many years ago.

11. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

oh man! what else did you see?

12. nancybrooke

Well off the top of my head, Japanese Roxy Music lps, Amon Duul, Tangerine Dream, Whitehouse, Nurse With Wound, Depeche Mode, Pere Ubu, PIL, The Fall, Bauhaus, Talking Heads, Blondie, Mike Oldfield, Joy Division (a $100 copy of Still!), SPK...and a bunch of Rolling Stones! Much more that I can't remember :)

13. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

amon duul alone is almost enough to convince me to drive up!

14. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

Fun thread to read!

15. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

Checked out Fat Cat last trip to Seattle , in May
    Liked it
    Must try Daybreak
    Seems to me Easy Street has taken a pronounced step backwards in terms of CDs but I guess that’s the way of the world.
    Still miss the other, bigger, better Easy Street that used to be there

16. nancybrooke

Daybreak's site sold recently to developers, so shop while you can! I'm curious how long their lease is for. There's a cool little cafe/wine shop across the street called Vif if you're in the neighborhood and need coffee and baked goods - same thing with them, they are in a one story mid-century building with a parking lot, I'm sure their days are numbered.

Yes Easy Street seems desperate to get rid of their CDs, they've moved some vinyl downstairs and have really discounted all of the used stock.

17. Sane Man

Sane Man Forum Resident

Bookmarking this thread as I'll be out in Seattle in October for a Seahawks game and Elysian's Great Pumpkin Beer Festival :)

18. At one time Golden Oldies had 9 or so location around the Seattle area. They have all closed to except the location across the highway from the U District to my knowledge.

19. You can get the same title for less elsewhere, either on the web or another shop. I see a lot of records on the east side of WA State for a lot less than the Seattle (and Portland for that matter) asking prices.

The new Police half speed box set in at a shop in Eastern WA was $125.00. Same box set in Seattle was $185.00 and $179.00 in Portland.

thrivingonariff likes this.
  20. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Wow 9 stores.
    Was visiting pal in Seattle last month and was able to stop in and pick up a few things.

21. Trace

Trace Senior Member

Be sure to give Silver Platters Sodo a visit. It's only abvout 20 blocks south of the stadium.

Blair G., GentleSenator and Sane Man like this.
  22. bug2362

bug2362 Forum Resident

For those with deep pockets, Silver Platters Sodo always has a couple crates of
    Collectible/audiophile LP’s to the side of the cash registers.....

I second the general consensus in Bop Street. Even back in the early 90’s before the
    “Back to vinyl’ boom, he didn’t price LP’s, and when you asked “ how much for this”?
    Would be $20+ for an ordinary LP. But it was a fun place to crate dig on a rainy day...

I have a strong bias towards Daybreak Records, as I sold probably 1000+ of my records to RJ in the last couple years. I couldn’t think of a better place for my cherished collection to go. It is a well-curated, organized store and every time I look there, great prices on many classic rock early pressings.

23. Sane Man

Sane Man Forum Resident

Went to silver platters SODO last week during my trip. Found two original Roky Erickson records (Gremlins and Dont Slander Me) in shrink with hype stickers. Records looked unplayed. Very happy with that score. Everyone there was very nice. I'm not a fan of used mixed in with new records, but I understand a lot of places do that. Huge place. Stopped at the pet shelter to bring some toys back for the cat and hit up the Antique Liquidators (Giving Seattle wood since 1970!) along that same road. Dont recommend walking from the light rail stop with that road out at the moment... lol

Kevin j likes this.
  24. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

i was just there a couple weeks ago and that collection seems to get weaker and weaker. it really feels like they aren't getting much used coming in in the last 10 or so months. the new arrivals were mostly showtunes and dennis deyoung solo LPs.

25. dreamingtree1855

dreamingtree1855 Filthy vinyl spinning hipster millennial

Another vote for Daybreak here. RJ is awesome, great guy and knows his stuff. I live nearby and it's my go-to. Jive time is hit or miss with pricing, Daybreak is always fair. For me the top in Seattle goes Daybreak > Easy Street > Jive Time > Silver Platters

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.