The Byrds " Mr. Tambourine Man" album: preferences between stereo or mono mixes- ???

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dyno guy, Nov 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Another Side

Another Side Senior Member

Re: The Byrds " Mr. Tambourine Man" album: preferences between stereo or mono mixes-

Interesting. The vocals panned hard right. Still it's odd that they would choose to mix it like this. It's almost as if they mixed the mono mix onto stereo tape.

2. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Re: The Byrds " Mr. Tambourine Man" album: preferences between stereo or mono mixes-

Again, the second clip is narrowed. So it really isn't "hard right".

The best thing I can think of is the mix was made from a 3-track bounce, which didn't have much on the third track. Rather than mix twin-track, they just mixed to almost mono.

Apparently the Never Before remix (which is more or less a wash, with no real separation) came from the 3-track bounce, while the newer remix came from the original 8-track.

3. kevinsinnott

kevinsinnott Forum Coffeeologist

You know, until you originally posted about this, I always thought the stereo effect was some kind of box. The track does appear to have added effects on vocals and even echo on the drums, at least to me.

But, you sure are right about there being no hard panning. It is just about the weakest all-time stereo mix.

4. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member

Was the same MTM narrow stereo mix used for the '67 greatest hits collection? I had always thought it was fake stereo, as I also thought for Turn Turn Turn on the same GH collection. A 20-year perception shattered!!

5. dgsinner

dgsinner New Member

I didn't think there was ever a true stereo mix until fairly recently, like the 90s or so or later. Every 60s/70s/80s comp I've heard that listed it as stereo sure sounded like fake stereo to me. An early 70s comp--History of The Byrds--I recently picked up has both MTM and TTT on it and they certainly aren't true stereo.

Dale

6. Jason Manley

Jason Manley Senior Member

I'm coming at this from the prespective of someone that has never heard the original Columbia CD. I have however heard the Sundazed mono LP, the 1996 CD remaster (stereo) and the MOFI mono SACD.

My personal preference is for the MOFI mono disc...for two reasons:

1. Warmth.
    2. Historical accuracy

7. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member

See lukpac's posts above.

8. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Yes please.

9. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

10. rkt88

rkt88 The unknown soldier

you guys are savants, i'm amazed. i used to get the mono mix singles in my makeshift radio station at home. my pop would bring them home from columbia.

he actually was the guy that brought to b.mitchell reid the first acetate of "tambourine man" to reid when he was the top DJ at kfwb in la. it was global within weeks and the rest is history.

i much prefer the stereo mixes. given i still i had one back then. HA!

McLover likes this.
  11. popwombat

popwombat Forum Resident

Apologies for reviving the thread, but I have a question I can't find the answer to. In the case of 'All I Really Want To Do', the mono single and stereo album versions are different recordings, but is the mono album version the same as the single, or is it the same take as the stereo album version?

I wish CBS would do a mono Byrds CD box set like they did with Bob Dylan and Miles Davis.

12. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

I am listening right now to "Spanish Harlem Incident" on the Sundazed MONO remastered heavy vinyl and I am not a fan of how heavy-handed the reverb is! Not consistent with the rest of the album.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2021
  13. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Still true.

MAYBEIMAMAZED likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.