The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Hate? I love sandwiches!!!

2. Tom H

Tom H Forum Resident

Bought a bunch of these "Instant Live" 3-CD sets from Phil Lesh and Friends' 2006 summer tour. Cannot stop listening to 6-22-06, Boca Raton, FL. It's definitely my favorite show by a GD-related band. Many jams.

The lineup:

Phil Lesh - bass, vocals
    John Scofield - guitar
    Larry Campbell - guitar
    Joan Osborne - vocals
    John Molo - drums, percussion
    Rob Barraco - keyboards

A fine first set, the highlight for me is the Bertha > Broken Arrow that covers 23 minutes. The pedal steel in "Broken Arrow" is really gorgeous.

2nd set:

St Stephen >
    Shakedown Street
    Jam >
    Dark Star >
    Eyes of the World >
    Dark Star >
    Morning Dew
    Not Fade Away
    U.S. Blues

[​IMG]

Summertime done, come and gone, my, oh, my

3. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

1974-05-25 Santa Barbara, CA

Man, whoever said they played fast wasn't kidding. Scarley Begonias has a furious tempo.
    Cool show!

4. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Yeah, I could get those but I like having the physical item. I'm more worried that the box would be bashed to pieces in transit than anything. I usually get stuff from Dead.net in flimsy padded envelopes.

PointsNorth likes this.
  5. Kate_C.

Kate_C. abyssus abyssum invocat

TH - went searching and found a bunch of the shows on CD at the "InstantLive" website for $10. Within the realm of 'too good to be true', I'm curious if this was your source?

6. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

27 June 2006- Asheville, NC, is well worthy of your attention.

David Stilesson and snigglefritz like this.
  7. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

Do yourself a solid and seek out the second night too. I like it even better than 8/7.

8. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

I guess this is sacrilegious but this is my favourite post-coma show. Admittedly, it's not a period I have invested anywhere as much time in as pre-coma (and I probably never will) but this Download Series release is something I can come back to at any time and enjoy

9. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

The PNW box shipped inside another cardboard box. I think it was packed pretty well.

KCWhistle, trd, notesofachord and 5 others like this.
  10. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

1974-07-21
    Excellent aud recording of the Wall. Play loud! Thanks @rbbert

Playing In The Band ->
    Wharf Rat ->
    Truckin' ->
    Nobody's Fault But Mine Jam ->
    Playing In The Band
    Ship Of Fools

11. Tom H

Tom H Forum Resident

KC - Yes, I bought several directly from the Music Today website. I also picked up many on the secondhand market (eBay and the like).

12. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

There's zero hate on my end; I was simply stating how a mis-reading of the name of the tune lead to absurdity.

Crispy Rob, US Blues, bzfgt and 2 others like this.
  13. ratstack

ratstack Forum Resident

Sorry, I was pretty tuned up last night and misread. Beers + Jams + Jammers = close the laptop.

14. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Whew; I've made my general feelings about 1977 well-known here, but I've been warming to the material over time. But I gotta say (again) that the 2/26/77 Slipknot! has to be among the best they ever did. Phil is an absolute demon. Everything that makes him what he was is on full display here. Multi-octave leaps, herky-jerk avoidance of the down beat, melodic lines, and thick, greasy resolutions. It's flippin' glorious.

15. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

I always loved seeing this live, as Jerry usually ripped it up. A really good vehicle for first-set "hot" soloing.

Also, I need to pick up that PNW sampler set. I can't justify the full box (either monetarily or in terms of how likely I am to listen to all the discs more than once), but the 3-disc sampler seems like a no-brainer.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
  16. uzn007

Another one I shoulda bought when it came out. That summer '82 tour was hot.

17. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

I reached for a random '85 show for running yesterday and plucked out the third night at the Spectrum.

Not your average set list (with lots of ">"s in the first set to boot). "Touch" and "Eyes" are both played at 90 miles an hour.

04/08/85
    The Spectrum - Philadelphia, PA

Set 1:

In The Midnight Hour
    Walkin' The Dog
    Big Boss Man
    Me And My Uncle
    Cumberland Blues
    Down In The Bottom
    Ain't Superstitious
    Althea
    Tons Of Steel
    Supplication
    Might As Well

Set 2:
    Revolution
    Hell In A Bucket
    Touch Of Grey
    Estimated Prophet
    Eyes Of The World
    Drums
    Goin' Down The Road Feeling Bad
    Stella Blue
    Around And Around
    Turn On Your Love Light

Encore:
    Brokedown Palace

18. John69

John69 Forum Resident

The West L.A. Fadeaway from Alpine Valley 1989 is a great one. They are on top of it.

19. uzn007

The previous night is a smoker, too, although Garcia's voice is pretty shot, IRC. Check out the Nassau shows from this tour, as well.

20. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

I had to play In the Dark and it was an enjoyable experience; I wanted to follow it with a live version of West L.A. but I couldn’t find one in my iTunes library and a look through the rest of the 30 Trips discs I haven’t ripped yet didn’t turn one up (seems like I mostly have Hells in a Bucket, Touches of Grey, and Throwing Stones). So, I’m gonna put on 3/20/92 as a compromise (HiaB, Althea, Brown-eyed Women, Bird Song, Shakedown, Dark Star, TOO) since I have vague memories of really liking this one the last time I listened to it last summer.

21. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Man, I really dug that “Same Thing”.

Now I’m wondering if that has ever actually been said before.

Crispy Rob, trd, ARK and 2 others like this.
  22. Taylor16

Taylor16 Forum Resident

Is there a comprehensive database of Dick Latvala’s tape notes? I’ve found a bunch searching the google but want to know if there’s one “place” that has them all. Love reading about his thoughts on certain shows.

23. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

In terms of official live releases, not counting video I think West LA Fadeaway may only appear in the Spring ‘90 box (3/22/90 Copps) and the So Glad You Made It compilation. But the upcoming Giants box will have two of them.

24. ratstack

ratstack Forum Resident

The sampler does an excellent job of summing it up. Highly recommended. If I were to try to trim down my own playlist from the box it would probably wind up very similar.

uzn007 and Matthew Tate like this.
  25. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Hmm... the show I’m listening to is 3/20/92 Copps, so in a way I am listening to L.A. now.

Matthew Tate, ianuaditis and adamos like this.