The Technics SL-1200 GAE/G/GR general questions thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Halloween_Jack, Aug 1, 2018.

1. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

You want the stylus tip to be right in line with the edge. You can eyeball it, or you can use something like a razor blade or combination square to confirm it is in line. You want to make sure at the same time the cartridge is square in the headshell, or more precisely that the cantilever is in a straight line down the center and not angled to either side.

I would think that’s going to get you pretty close with an elliptical stylus like the 2M Blue. I get a bit more fussy with my ML stylus, but even then I haven’t gone overboard (yet:sigh:).

ranch 22b and DoF like this.
  2. DoF

DoF Less is more...

Thank you.

3. DoF

DoF Less is more...

:D

Slick Willie likes this.
  4. DoF

DoF Less is more...

Ok, gotta break free, putting elbow grease into mastering the skill of alignment :)

with these surgical instruments :)

[​IMG]

...and my guinea pig is Technics EPC-270C:

[​IMG]

5. Deek

Deek Well-Known Member

Does anyone know how Dynavector carts (specifically the 10x5) work with the 12xxGR, or is better synergy found elsewhere?

Also, the RCA sockets look to be recessed underneath, how far 'in' are they and is it possible that you could have it so no cables had to stick out the back? I cannot find an image of the underside but this would help me a lot.

I'm obviously planning my next table :)

6. DoF

DoF Less is more...

7. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Yes they are recessed to where you could place against a back support without contacting RCA's or power cable.

Deek likes this.
  8. DoF

DoF Less is more...

What protractor should I use for my Technics SL-1200GR?

9. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

My stylus is finicky about alignment (Fitz Gyger). Using the stock gauge records sounded very good but seemed to be much better sounding on the final tracks and occasionally not so good on the beginning of certain records.
    The mint LP made for Technics 1200s was a definite improvement and records sound great the entire length of the album- the best alignment I have ever had on any table.
    Best Tractor / Arc Protractor / Mint Tractor / tonearm alignment / Yip Mint Protractor / Mintlp Protractor

tzh21y, DoF and punkmusick like this.
  10. DoF

DoF Less is more...

11. Charlesg219

Charlesg219 New Member

Hi Guys, newbie here.

I received my Panasonic Refurbished 1210GR last night and have had issues getting the thing working!

Although the unit powers up, when pressing the start/stop button, the speed indicator (45rpm) light blinks and the platter does not spin. Within the instruction manual, this blinking is detailed to occur when the start/stop button is pressed with the platter not in place, leading me to believe that the unit is not recognising that the platter is installed. Has anyone had any similar issues? I will have another play with the TT tonight but would appreciate any advice people may have to offer.

Charles

12. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

What does this mean?

13. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

I'd send it back. Getting it going should be as easy as placing the platter down, turning it on, and hitting start.

recstar24 likes this.
  14. Charlesg219

Charlesg219 New Member

The item is a Panasonic manufacturer refurbished model.

15. Charlesg219

Charlesg219 New Member

Looks like that's my only option. With a weeks return time, and another week (potentially longer) to receive the replacement that makes for almost a month wait for my new TT, how annoying!

I was just seeing if anyone had any similar experience/I was being stupid and missing something obvious but you are probably right.

16. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

The only thing obvious/simple that might be looking at is to ensure the platter is fully down and seated. It really shouldn't be anything too crazy as the platter just plops down through the spindle, but who knows, there is clearly some sensor that is not being triggered from the weight of the platter pressing down which is causing your TT to think there is no platter there.

Gabe Walters likes this.
  17. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Ditto, and I'll add that it shouldn't be hard to achieve because the platter is heavy and the magnet beneath it powerful. Definitely sounds like there's a sensor that isn't working.

recstar24 likes this.
  18. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Of course, but they, like, send them back to Japan for repair and then back again overseas, advertising them as "refurbished"? Never saw one marked as such. Who sells them and for what price?

19. rlwings

rlwings Well-Known Member

Hey guys. Just thought that somebody might be interested in this:

Ok,mission accomplished! I measured the resonance frequency coming from the new Technics 1200GR and the Nagaoka MP-200 cart using two different heashells.

Process:

Recorded 2 minutes of bass heavy music in Audacity in a Windows computer then viewed the plot spectrum chart.

Results:

Using the Jelco HS-25 headshell the resonance was in the low 6hz range. (Not great).
    Using the Technics stock headshell the resonance was in the high 7hz range. (Better, and almost in the green by a hair).

Conclusion:

Since I quickly realized that I needed to loose weight from the Jelco headshell, I switched headshells, wires, nuts and screws to lighter versions of themselves to achieve the 'near green zone' on the resonance chart.

It would appear that the Nagaoka MP-200 and the new Technics arm works best with light headshells and still barely makes it into the green zone. Acceptable but not ideal.

Hope my efforts help somebody who can't wait to switch their headshell (like me) to a higher quality but heavier headshell. With the Nagaoka MP-200 cart... it may not be the best idea... I compromised and used the better (and lighter) wires that came with the Jelco headshell with the stock Technics headshell to achieve a possible sonic improvement.

20. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Hard to best the factory shell, IMO.

21. Andy Saunders

Andy Saunders Always a pleasure never a chore

Also if you feel like it upgrade the cartridge wires- nice little tweak that.:)

Slick Willie and rlwings like this.
  22. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

good work. did the change pass the ear test as well as the analysis?

rlwings likes this.
  23. rlwings

Thank you! ... Well, here's the thing. I can't say for sure that it sounds any better for a couple of reasons. One, I had to change the headshell from the Jelco to the stock Technics as well as the Jelco wires. And two, it never sounded 'bad' to begin with... The reason I measured the resonance frequency was due to my woofers 'pumping'. Thing is they are now still pumping! Lol... So what can I say? I went from low 6hz to high 7hz which leaves me slightly outside of the green zone. For what it's worth I at least feel better that there is an improvement. :)

And maybe it's the placebo effect but I could swear that the overall sound is better. (Learned not to trust that though) ... The important thing is that I have educated myself around this resonance frequency thing, and have learned how to measure it so I will be able to make better choices in the future.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
    Rafao, recstar24 and punkmusick like this.
  24. rlwings

Quick question to all you Technics pros out there...

So the overhang gauge puts the diamond at exactly 52mm away from the back of the washer, right? ... But I've noticed that when the stylus is sitting on the record, the down-force actually causes the stylus to "bend outward" another mm or two... So is Technic's overhang gauge accounting for this change in stylus position? ... Is the real overhang measurement 54mm?

25. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Why not? Isn’t that what really matters?

rlwings likes this.