Abbey Road 50th contents, outtakes and sound quality thread .. only

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by audiotom, Aug 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SebUK

SebUK Forum Resident

I really wouldn't bother - I spent six and a half quid on it (ten dollars?) because it was in a wrapper and so was not able to give it a quick look-over in the shop.... the Abbey Road stuff is an appalling mis-sell. Over a dozen pages or more a bunch of journos not particularly noted as beatles fans/experts get to give their story/take/connection with one song of the original album - NOT the remix - and it's pretty boring stuff. There's a couple of pull-out boxes with Lewisohn not giving any info you won't already know, and Glyn Johns saying it's insulting to remix legacy stuff cause it can't be improved whilst claiming that he hasn't listen to Abbey Road since he worked on it.

Worst of all is the 'interview' with Giles where the writer, Jim Irwin, goes on at length about how you couldn't know how important culturally a new Beatles release was unless you were there, how at the time of Abbey Road he was aware that the mop tops were morphing into something else, how politics, drugs and love lives were having their impacts, although he didn't know that the band were about to break up - he says this was water cooler talk at workplaces etc. Oh, and he tells us he was ten years old in 1969.

There's a few Giles quotes in there that have probably already been included in this tread, and an extremely pointless 'map' of Liverpool with Beatle connections.

It is a very, very sorry piece of work as a whole and not worth yours or my money.

I hope that helps!

2. Josip

Josip Forum Resident

Thanks, it seems that Mojo is milking another Beatles cover issue, same as with Bruce Springsteen recently - a story about the making of a new album without the story...

Yovra likes this.
  3. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Perhaps Apple wants the next pre-release to be a surprise.

4. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

To the general public (i.e., not on this forum) it will be. There's no reason we can't speculate based on the info the insiders gave us.

5. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

This months Mojo is an Abbey Road special and it includes quite abit of the chatter included in the outtakes, sounds great especially the one regarding the compliant about the noise levels on she’s so heavy.

6. Lance Hall

Lance Hall Senior Member

Mostly, yes.

The 1965 songs that got tape reductions were "Help!" and "Michelle". Giles Martin did not use the pre-bounce tape when he mixed "Help!" in 2015 otherwise the lead vocals would have a slight stereo split. The intro backing vocals were ADT'd across the stereo as was the lead guitar. Ron Furmanek used both "Help!" tapes in his mix in the early 1990s and that's why his mix is acoustic guitar (left), vocal/tamborine (slightly left of center), drums (center), vocal (slightly right of center), and lead guitar (right). This is STILL the best mix of that song but sadly it has not been released officially.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
  7. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

Been immersed in all things Woodstock for a few weeks now so the Abbey Road re-release has taken a backseat. It did seem that after the initial leak/announcement things lost momentum. That is probably our fault for all of the the major speculation and discussion well in advance, but it does seem that with only a month to go the publicity has stalled a little. Yes, there is a Mojo special, but there did seem to be the potential here for much more. Abbey Road could easily be the subject of a documentary, either on radio or television, or even a 'making of' dvd.

Looks like there is something else to be announced prior to Abbey Road. If they have left it this late it does not sound connected, unless it is some sort of link-in to Let It Be which may come early next year I guess. The chronology of that album does not sit happily in view of the original delay in it appearing and Abbey Road leapfrogging it. I'm guessing that they will gloss over the negative side and treat it as just another release, to tie-in with the new film reboot. The vinyl thing does just seem to be something that they periodically do to keep a foot in that market (the Christmas discs for example), so I can't really see them muddying the waters with another music release unless it is a solo item. Lennon, seems an obvious promotional tie-in with a follow up to the Imagine items from last year and I would think that Paul would almost certainly want to jump in with something (as happened last year) to keep up with the John's (ouch!).

Was hoping for another track to listen to but that seems to have been delayed. No worries, I have plenty of listening to do elsewhere at present so I'm keeping Abbey Road thoughts on the back burner for the time being. Will seem quite fresh when it does arrive.

8. arnt

arnt Forum Resident

9. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

The hints we've gotten are that something will be announced before AR50 arrives, not released before. It's possible it's a mid-Sept announcement for an Oct or Nov release. For whatever it is.

Maybe it is "just" a new song written and performed by Paul and Ringo together, the lead single for Ringo's upcoming album. If it's a single like that, then just dropping the track/video before AR50 could be possible, rather than just an announcement.

johnny moondog 909 likes this.
  10. Melanie Haber

Melanie Haber Well-Known Member

My initial question was misunderstood and apparently deeply upset at least one member here. I'm sorry. He won't have to read my inane ramblings again. :) Somehow it came across to him that I was asking about the "vaporware" pre-release listen to "Oh! Darling", which is not a song I care for.
    I was just curious if Mr. Carrera was invited to the "Abbey Road 50th Anniversary Edition First Listen" event last week, and what his observations are. Mr. Fremer's description was hilarious. That's all. :shrug:

11. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan

Bingo ! I bet that's it... they're gonna jam at abbey road do 1 or 2 songs with a band. Meh

12. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

Paul and Ringo could play "Golden Slumbers" as a two-some with a small brass section at Abbey Road. Maybe go into "Carry That Weight" with a crowd of friends/family/insiders singing along?

I wouldn't mind that. It could be beatle-ful!

Then Paul can whip out his acoustic as the chanting fades and play "Her Majesty." ;)

J Alesait and johnny moondog 909 like this.
  13. Josip

Josip Forum Resident

Something new blog has a possible Ringo album tracklist with... Wait for it... "Grow old with me"!

14. MPLRecords

Link?

15. Josip

Josip Forum Resident

Google something new blog beatles

16. MPLRecords

This was just added to the Beatlefan blog post:

"Meanwhile, Beatlefan London Editor Simon Rogers and reader Bart van der Loojj report that Jack Douglas said during International Beatleweek in Liverpool on Sunday that he produced the lead single off Ringo’s new album, featuring Paul and Ringo sharing vocals. Douglas added it was sensational."

17. WildWildHorses49

WildWildHorses49 Forum Resident

After John and Paul sharing two songs called Scared, Paul and Ringo will share two songs called Magic?
    Is that the big surprise that'll feature Paul? That would be fun
    And about Grow Old With Me; could just be Ringo simply covering John (He already recovered some tunes that weren't his: I Call Your Name, Love Me Do, in some way Let 'Em In in English Garden)

MPLRecords likes this.
  18. MPLRecords

And - assuming it's true - Ringo will share "Money" and "Better Days" with Badfinger.

WildWildHorses49 likes this.
  19. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

A friend of a source (lol) told me two weeks ago at the Chicago Beatlefest that "Flaming Pie" is indeed the next archive box set- November/December 2019 with London Town and Back to The Egg targeted for 2020...………

Is Mike C now saying the singles box could be pushed back?

20. Wingsfan2012

This could start to look like September-December 2019 with all those amazing releases....start saving now everyone!

21. Wingsfan2012

Maybe it is a new Ringo compilation? Maybe that oft rumored (by himself) "Ringo Apple Years" box set?

22. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

No, I don't think that he ever said anything like that. I think it is still planned for mid-November.

Wingsfan2012 likes this.
  23. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

I would take that, but if I were to dare use some kind of logic, which is always dicey when dealing with Apple, something like that would make more sense next year, 2020 being the 50th anniversary of his first solo album, and therefore his solo career, so they could market it like that. If the solo Beatles camps choose to celebrate anniversaries the same way the band does next year could be epic.

24. That's all well and good until they then compress any life out of the sound with terrible mastering. So much for being able to breath with plenty of air and space.

Of course it's the digital versions and CD in particular which will suffer the most as people like Framer and seemingly most of this forum only care about the flipping vinyl version.

Considering the sonic advantages native to CD it makes this whole exercise even more redundant.

FJFP, recordromantic and Gila like this.
  25. Cristiano Cortellazzi

Cristiano Cortellazzi Forum Resident

To me, the main issue is that we’re not sure if the announcement will be an Apple one or not. Assuming Mike was referring to Apple, well that couldn’t lead to, say, a Lennon box set or a new Ringo album, which would not be Apple’s cup of tea.

Was Mike Carrera specific or did he just drop a “something will be announced soon” kind of thing?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.