Trijntje Oosterhuis / Traincha – Strange Fruit (CD and SACD)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Yost, Aug 26, 2019.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not” Thread Starter

If you are looking for an inspired interpretation of a number of Jazz classics, look no further than this 2004 album: Trijntje Oosterhuis / Traincha, Live With Amsterdam Sinfonietta And The Houdini's – Strange Fruit.

When the music starts, you think you are listening to a very well recorded studio album. But at the end of the first track you hear the applause and you realise that this is a live performance. A great live performance from one of the best Dutch singers, who is challenged to be even better by the great performances of both the Amsterdam Sinfonietta string orchestra and The Houdini's Jazz Sextet. This album captures 13 great tracks (14, if you include the encore that's part of track 13), with flawless and enthusiastic singing and playing. Great arrangements make these classic tracks sound new and fresh, as if played for the first time.

The CD was released under her Dutch name, Trijntje Ooosterhuis, but the SACD is released under her English artist name, Traincha (the "English" pronunciation of her firs name). Audiofiles please take note: the SACD uses a different mastering for both Redbook layer and DSD Stereo layer (album DR 15) than the plain CD (album DR 12). I added both to the DR Database: Album list - Dynamic Range Database

SquaRoots and lightbulb like this.
  2. SquaRoots

SquaRoots The North Star Grassman

Thanks for the heads up to the OP.
    Excellent album I think.

What strikes me, being an audiophile, that the choice for spelling Trijntje as Traincha, is a little haphazardly funny.
    It misses the point IMO.
    Dutch R following T and diphthong IJ are not at all represented by English R and AI.

In more phonetic terms her name is TRRahaynt-yu, [RR = rolling, guttural R] [ahay as in australian Day ] and [ u as in Burger].

The way Dutch hear the proposed Trainche, they would spell it Trweensje.
    I'd say the Dutch pronunciation of Trijntje would have to be shown as TRRahayntya for English speakers.
    Double R here to represent a guttural R, because there is no way to write that particular sound with a single letter in English.

Just some audio-idiot-phile sayin'.:blah:

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
    Yost likes this.
  3. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not” Thread Starter

You’re right. I think one of two things happened here: a) the Dutch just didn’t know the real pronunciation of “Traincha”, or b) it’s kind of a word play or joke only the Dutch understand. In Dutch, “Trijn” sounds the same as “trein”, which is the Dutch word for “train” (the thing that rides on a railway). “Tje” is just something you add to a word to make it smaller. So “Trijntje” basically sounds like the Dutch word for “little train”. Knowing this, “Traincha” somehow makes sense. :biglaugh:

SquaRoots likes this.
  4. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

I love all of her albums, though I haven’t heard her latest Dutch album.

I think her two volumes of Bacharach songs are brilliant. Her version of “This House Is Empty Now” moves me to tears.

JSKC and Yost like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.