Technics SL-1200Mk7 Owners... Your Impressions So Far?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Cyclone Ranger, Jul 18, 2019.

1. IRG

IRG Forum Resident

I understood. Home use studios, which is how he uses it today. The shortcomings (not really plural) he made clear. But for other users (as in how I will use it) this won't be an issue. It's not like there's many (any?) belt drive tables out there today, that wouldn't have this same issue if placed directly on a 15" sub, nor would they work very well in most clubs. Not that that's their intended use.

This might be a case that Technics made a very good audiophile table at a "budget" price, but the intended targeted audience (DJ's) ended up being something other than expected. And I'm ok with that.

bever70 and punkmusick like this.
  2. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

I agree. It is probably very good for a home audio system.

McLover and Cyclone Ranger like this.
  3. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Hey, they had to pave the way for the mk8 somehow ;).

Dan Steele likes this.
  4. U-96

U-96 Active Member

But why would Technics compromise on weight to lower the cost, if DJs are at least one of the target markets?

It seems that the 1200s have ALWAYS been heavier, not just the GR. Weird.

5. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Because you can't have a GR for the price of mk7. Need a better quality than mk7? It's out there, called a GR.

McLover likes this.
  6. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

As an owner of both the VL12 and the Technics 1200 MK7 I find his glowing review of the Denon, which has well documented problems of dead zones on the pitch fader, a bad tonearm known for loose bearings, speed control issues, and platter wobble, a bit odd. He sort of introduces the resonance problem of the MK7 like an"aha" moment.

I am assuming from resonance he is meaning if the bass is too powerful and the table shakes because of the volume the deck also shakes. Or am I mistaken?
    I am not a DJ.

I had to return my VL12 for a replacement by shipping it to Reno NV, the Numark service center. Then I noticed on Ebay refurbished VL12s being sold for $600 from Reno NV.

Just odd to me that he couldn't find any real problems with the VL12 and I couldn't make my first model play a record all the way through one side.

Daicehawk, McLover and punkmusick like this.
  7. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

Watched an unboxing video for one of these the other day. Do you not get the heavy duty rubber mat with this edition as-standard?

8. fmfxray373

No rubber mat I bought one about 2 weeks ago.

9. IRG

IRG Forum Resident

Anything at all then? I think I want to try a cork mat in any event.

10. fmfxray373

You mean a slip mat? A felt one.
    I was thinking of a rubber mat to put under the table lol.

Bassy Bavaria likes this.
  11. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Exactly. And does not support his findings with actual sound but rather some acting of disappointment in front of the camera.
    The guy who tested the plx vs mk2 had a sound recording as proof.
    We have yet to see how far is mk7 from mk2.
    Anyway, mk7 is still better than any Hanpin.

McLover, snorker and fmfxray373 like this.
  12. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

...says a guy who didn't test them.

bever70 likes this.
  13. IRG

IRG Forum Resident

Not to hijack this thread, but for some reason today I'm beginning to rethink my plan on getting a new TT. The Mk7 ended up being the only one on my list because I can get it through Sweetwater, and have an account there with 0% interest. The wife doesn't mind me doing this, versus taking $1k-$3k out of the checking account (which she does very much mind).

So I feel like I'm settling perhaps? I was going to add a new cartridge and a new preamp. So it might sound dumb or naive, but will I really hear a noticeable improvement (versus a difference) from my Uturn/Ortofon 2M Blue/CA Solo preamp to a Mk7/AT 540ML/Lounge? Of course only I can answer this question, but it's one I'm internally debating.

What would I really want? Maybe a Rega P8 or something of that caliber. Which maybe in a couple of years I could afford (kids and a wife in college ain't cheap - still paying off student loans 20 years later myself).

I viewed the Uturn as a decent entry level table (imo, it's been a bit better than that when properly set up), the Mk7 will be my in between table for 3-4 years, and after that maybe my dream table, who knows. My other hobby (guitar gear) has been raising it's ugly (but fun) head again lately as well. Decisions, decisions...

Dan Steele likes this.
  14. Kamaaina1

Kamaaina1 Kanikapila!

**My post from another thread:

**Non-Professional review** YMMV.
    Well, love the TT! Running a Ortofon 2M Bronze with a Lounge Audio LCR MKIII w/silver upgrade and Herbie's way excellent mat . Easy setup. A stylus scale is a must (for accuracy). I have a tight space so the recessed power and phono cables are slick! Tone arm tracks well and sounds great to my ears. Love the quick start & stop platter. Quiet, smooth operation and very handsome to boot! Only real complaint would be the tone arm cue. feels a bit cheap. Could have a little better positive/precision feel. Other than that, a solid rig.

15. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Who's that guy?

16. Michael Chavez

Michael Chavez Forum Resident

Technics is King
    Fit finish durability performance value speed stability and sound - AND if you need 'em you can get parts for them without begging
    They owned the market at their price points (and above) until 2010 - for almost 40 years - left for almost a decade, came back and by this time next year they'll own it all again
    No one else has or could ever do that
    No one
    That tells you something (and they ain't cheap dollars and cents wise)
    A thousand bucks is still a lot of money to most people in the United States
    Doesn't usually get you much but it's still a lot
    Technics enjoys the same disdain and unmerited scorn from many as does the venerable Denon DL-103
    I think a lot people just hate a winner
    Bombs away haters
    Michael

17. IRG

IRG Forum Resident

I think what I might do is upgrade just my phono preamp now. Maybe a new cartridge in a couple of months when the 2M Blue wears down. Mostly thinking out loud as it's getting late.

18. McLover

McLover Senior Member

This tells me all I need to know about the Denon VL12. Which means, don't buy it. Or insist on very cheap.

johnny q and fmfxray373 like this.
  19. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Bombs away to those who didn't buy proper to begin with, or it needed too much "This upgrade, that upgrade, that other upgrade" or went cheap. or had to buy better rather than saving up their money to buy proper. I go with what is built to a quality, who provide parts, and service literature, who support their product, who do proper QC. Buy proper once, be done with it. Or spend money multiple times until you realize you should have. My DJ work is not scratch, techno, HipHop, Rap, and seldom club. Mine is broadcast work, and demanding work/play at home where quality, consistency, and precision is demanded, and versatility.

Wngnt90, recstar24, Aftermath and 2 others like this.
  20. U-96

U-96 Active Member

I don’t think anyone here hates Technics or doubts their status in the last 40 years. We are trying to get an impression of the new Mk7. If you have tried it, we would love to hear your review.

21. Michael Chavez

Michael Chavez Forum Resident

that's easy enough - it's a slightly lighter MK5 with detachable cables this go round
    it only comes in black for now and it's made in Malaysia rather Japan
    it comes with hella better pitch controls and resets and can be run in reverse - few other detail too - like 78rpm capable!
    that's about it for now until you go see a seller and hear one
    I'm not into buying based on written sound reviews but I do consider reviews on build quality, specs, bearings those sorts of things - if I can't hear it first I'm not buying it
    I did and it sounds the same to me as my MkII (great) ergo my overview on quality post - if I were in need of table right now and my budget was only 1000 dollars this would be it without a second thought
    it's a no brainer
    it sounds like a Technics SL-1200 - clean clear dynamic with excellent transients decay and lots of inner detail - and it's on pitch for a change (just got rid of my last belt drive - tired of two box tables) - AC synchronous is a BEAUTIFUL thing! : - )
    quick start up, strong motor, quality build - it's a Technics SL-1200 all the way, not a shadow of one from somewhere in the past
    I'll make the same suggestion to you that you made to me
    https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/search/75340255/
    Michael

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
    McLover likes this.
  22. McLover

McLover Senior Member

I have tried them, have several installed in FM station service now. I like their performance very well, the arm is quite excellent. They're in production studios.

23. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

Who couldn’t like Ian? I can’t say listening on YouTube I hear all the sound differences he is talking about but I believe his reviews are sincere. I mean he’s only reviewed and compared about 100 carts within certain price ranges which I find helpful

Stanton56, recstar24, Tim1954 and 2 others like this.
  24. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Yeah, I don’t get it. He goes to the trouble of giving very specific comments about aspects of playback fidelity, which I haven’t seen any other video reviewers do. He puts the videos together very well, and the sound quality is detailed enough to hear what he illustrates if you play the videos through decent equipment, so I think he goes to the trouble of recording the sound very well. Making any judgements based on a YouTube video is going to be imperfect, but I can’t understand the seemingly personal objections to him.

25. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock Thread Starter

You may be overthinking it and/or are being confused by the oodles of well-meaning but sometimes contradictory advice.

All I can tell you is that, in my experience, the turntable is going to make the biggest difference by quite a lot. Your U-Turn is a good entry-level 'table... but it is, in the end, an entry-level table. Any good $1K 'table is going to outperform it by a surprising amount.

Your 2M Blue is a pretty good cart, I wouldn't be in a big rush to upgrade it (and if I did, it'd be to a Nagaoka mp150 or mp200). The phono stage will obviously have a significant impact, but if cost starts being an issue, the Schiit Mani is surprisingly good, is only $129, and has a 15-day return policy... you can audition and keep it, or send it back.

So, if it were me, I'd prioritize getting the Mk7. Or, maybe smarter yet, try to find a used Technics 1200 mk2/3/5 in good condition, which will be half the price of a new Mk7, and should perform pretty similarly.

Your call. Happy hunting. :thumbsup:

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
    Aftermath and Dan Steele like this.