Phil Keaggy who? If you don't know his stuff, you should...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by KeaggyFan25, Aug 27, 2019.

1. KeaggyFan25

KeaggyFan25 Active Member Thread Starter

If you haven't been catching his most recent recordings, you have been missing out. All At Once was released on double vinyl in 2016, and is an amazing set of songs - very similar in sound to Crimson and Blue. The vinyl was great quality and the production was stellar. In 2011 he put out an amazing Electric Guitar album - just jams called JAMMED! Here's a song off that album where the 63 year old (at the time) just takes off...

Keaggy is now 68, and still can hold his own with any guitarist out there, but just doesn't get the props he deserves from the masses. Only 5'2", and "stuck" in the CCM industry for 20 years, any fame he had as a guitarist was lost after 72', at least to those who weren't paying much attention. I have near 80 different recordings from Keaggy, with I think 24 on vinyl. Every album, whether it is of his best work or not is so important to me as his music really is something else. He isn't just the CCM version of Paul McCartney that so many threw him off as - his creative intuition has produced so much - such a unique sound...

I saw a video where this English gentleman was listening to Keaggy for the first time, and it about knocked his socks off....it was that old 1970s video of Time where Keaggy uses his Ebow...

Curious how many fans there are of him, and if there is anyone who would like to delve into his music some? I have some duplicates I'd gladly send to you if you want to try his stuff out for the first time....both vinyl and CDs....

He and some friends have been working on a Bandcamp page to release old concert recordings - so much music...some are just incredible!

Anyhow, Phil doesn't know my name, but I consider myself one of his biggest fans. I'm 38 years old, and first heard Phil when my parents bought Sunday's Child for a winter trip up to the Cascades in Oregon. We listened the whole 4 hours there and the 4 hours back, as well as in our room at the lodge. It stuck - the album was just perfect, and everyone who I have shared it with has been blown away, whether they appreciated the message in it or not.

He's a Christian musician. Yes, but don't throw him to the side just because you don't hold to or appreciate his faith. You are missing out on one of the top musicians of the last 50 years. His catalogue is endless and maybe unprecedented now that his Bandcamp page is up.

2. KeaggyFan25

His Salvation Army Band performance at Wheaton College continues to be one of my favorite live songs I have seen. The reactions from the 19-20 year olds in the front row are priceless...

Johnny Reb, longdist01 and milankey like this.
  3. KeaggyFan25

He just released an album with Tony Levin and Jerry Marotta called Bucket List. Very similar to his album 220 in my opinion

4. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

Wonderful and very talented guitar player and singer. I highly recommend him.

5. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

Bucket List gets played here. He's one of the best players, from Glass Harp to today.

6. Mister Charlie

Mister Charlie "Music Is The Doctor Of My Soul " - Doobie Bros.

We Can Work It Out - PFR featuring Phil Keaggy

An all time favorite cover version.

7. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

He's the best guitarist by far I have ever seen, and he does it with 9 fingers. :righton:

8. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

Phil is from my hometown, and I saw him many, many times in local clubs before anyone outside of here knew who he was (ca. 1966-67) in the band Volume IV — which later, with no personnel changes, was renamed New Hudson Exit.

Even at age 16, he was a remarkable guitarist, and the band was great, with impeccable harmonies. They really shone not only on Beatles songs, but they used to do a lot of Young Rascals — even the B-sides like "Love Is a Beautiful Thing" and "What Is the Reason." They were by far the best of the three prominent local bands of the era — the others being The Pied Pipers (who later evolved into Left End) and The Human Beingz, who after the record label dropped the "g," became The Human Beinz of "Nobody But Me" fame.

The Exit did "Penny Lane," and Phil did the piccolo trumpet solo on his guitar. I'm told, though I never saw it myself, that he did the keyboard intro to "Light My Fire" on guitar too. When Sgt. Pepper came out, Phil grew a mustache and looked for all the world like Paul, and The Exit did the first five songs off of Side One flawlessly.

I appreciated what he went on to do in Glass Harp, but I was never a manic fan. And while I respect the role Christianity has played in his life, that message never spoke directly to me. But I do really love his most secular album, Sunday's Child. Outstanding songs, outstanding performance and production, all on vintage gear.

9. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Thanks for posting this Thread, Keaggy is still an inventive and creative musician today!

10. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

a song written by Keith Moore which Phil included on his 1998 album "Phil Keaggy"

Moshe, Maranatha5585 and KeaggyFan25 like this.
  11. Dan33185

Dan33185 Dylan/Cohen/Adams/T. Buckley/Holly

12. Naughty Chord

Naughty Chord Hole in my Socrates

Hey Paul, what's it like to be the best bass player in the world?

Paul: I don't know, ask Phil Keaggy.

:whistle:

13. Naughty Chord

I saw Keaggy live a couple of times in the early 80s. Blew me right away. I never understood why he was so impressive on guitar live but his studio albums were so conservative and lost track of him mid 80s. After recently catching up on what he's been up to for the last 30 years, I'm happy to say he does have some great playing on more recent studio albums.

Some of my favorite playing is caught on the How The West Was One live album with 2nd Chapter of Acts. He has some real moments on that album.

14. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Big fan since The Master and the Musician. For a long time, I only listened to his instrumental albums, but since All At Once came out it got me going back through his catalog for the others with vocals. Only got to see him in concert once (so far).

15. HeavyDistortion

HeavyDistortion Senior Member

I've been a fan of Phil's since I heard the first Glass Harp album. Also, I've met him several times over the years, and he is amazingly friendly and humble for being such a fine musician. His guitar playing, either electric or acoustic, is sublime, and should be heard by any aspiring or accomplished guitarist!!!

Ed Hurdle
    HeavyDistortion

16. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

peymei4ever, Natvecal., Moshe and 7 others like this.
  17. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Blues Counsel & Phil Keaggy

Phil, so humble w/ Solo acoustic set and at times tech issues...still keeping on!

Maranatha5585 likes this.
  18. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

In the late 60's, Phil taught my sister-in-law how to play guitar.
    :--)

19. plentyofjamjars67

plentyofjamjars67 Forum Resident

"Tell Me How You Feel", love this song.

20. Harp Of Glass

Harp Of Glass Forum Resident

Hello folks. I just signed up after reading posts on this forum for a few months. I decided to make my first post in this thread because P.K. is my favorite musician by far. I wanted to mention that I am planning on eventually uploading a few somewhat "rare" live Glass Harp recordings on youtube so more people can enjoy them if they have not heard them before. Most are from 1971. One is from 1970 and another sounds like it is from either '68 or '69. Also, the recording quality is terrible on most but unfortunalely this seems par for the course for G.H. recordings from that era. The incredible musicianship makes up for the poor audio quality, imo. I have never uploaded anything to yt before so it may take a while. If successful, I will post the links. If I don't get them on yt for some reason, I am willing to do an old fashioned cdr trade through the mail if anyone wants to hear these recordings. They are too good not to share.

21. Naughty Chord

I would love to hear these. Looking forward to the links.

Just out of curiosity, are these recordings you made yourself or things you ran across at some point?

22. Harp Of Glass

I did not make them. It's a long story but I am lucky to have them.

Naughty Chord likes this.
  23. Harp Of Glass

24. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Glass Harp - Never Is A Long Time
    (WVIZ) PBS tv Cleveland in 1972

25. Musical Chairs

Musical Chairs Forum Resident

No question, he's super talented.

longdist01, Jonny W and Naughty Chord like this.