The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. WaterLemon

WaterLemon Forum Resident

Grateful Dead • 1980-05-11 (2:42:18) • Cumberland County Civic Center, Portland, ME, USA
    5/11/80 Grateful Dead

One of you fine folks mentioned 5/11/80 a few weeks ago during a discussion of good shows from Spring 1980. Thanks for the tip! I’d never sought out this show, even though I have loved several other dates from that tour & era for years and years. This one’s a doozy, excellent recording and Jerry is just tearing up the guitar (some really good tone from the Tiger this night).

There are a few similarities to the recent DaP, like opening with Alabama-Promised Land, but this show is (IMO) a heckuvalot better. This will get some repeat listens, no doubt.

So thanks again!

2. Listening to this today - was EXACTLY 47 years ago today -8-27-72, Veneta, Oregon.

[​IMG]

3. Gdgray

Gdgray Forum Resident

Good ideal, going to put on Blu-ray. Never tire of this show. Thanks for reminder

4. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

There's a pretty good 3/10/81...

Crispy Rob, US Blues and WaterLemon like this.
  5. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Thanks, you’re right, this 9/10/81 is pretty good!!!

notesofachord and bzfgt like this.
  6. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

IWT. A fine show indeed. :pineapple:

7. Billy_Sunday

Billy_Sunday ... formerly ThirdBowl

I've since come around to the other side of the spectrum, so to speak. I now purchase most of the archival releases. Don't necessarily keep them all. But getting well mastered shows direct from the vault is a good thing, for the most part. Bad EQ and/or messing with song order notwithstanding...

Crispy Rob, trd and US Blues like this.
  8. US Blues

My apologies, the proper title is In The Realm of the Hungry Ghosts.

9. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

It’s spreading.

budwhite, US Blues and trd like this.
  10. Billy_Sunday

Billy_Sunday ... formerly ThirdBowl

I was there. 5th GD show. A bit anti-climactic after the crazy fun Laguna Seca run 4 weeks prior. Sound was bad in there. Touch of Grey outta space was kinda cool though. Even as a newbie I understood that that was unusual.

Charlie just posted the SBD of the Santana opening set! I am looking forward to hearing that one! Carlos had (most / all of ? ) the Abraxas band for that one...

Crispy Rob, adamos, US Blues and 3 others like this.
  11. Freebird

Freebird Was 205 pounds, now 215.

Really amazing sound quality on this release too!

12. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

[​IMG]

13. Freebird

China Doll just hasn’t been in the rotation BUT...the one from 11/11/73....dear gaaaaaaawd.

14. ratstack

ratstack Forum Resident

I’ve had 2/23/93 on in the background today, but I really need to go back and turn it up for some critical listening. Ornette Coleman joined them in the second set (if he was there sooner I didn’t notice him until Space. Man, it gets wild. And I like Ornette’s style and contribution more than the Branford Marsalis stuff I’ve heard (though to be fair I haven’t checked out Space from those shows). Cool show, I’ll definitely be revisiting.

Crispy Rob, fishcane, Mad Dog and 8 others like this.
  15. martinb4

martinb4 Forum Resident

Thanks for the suggestion, spinning that next.

Crispy Rob, ianuaditis and Freebird like this.
  16. sparkmeister

sparkmeister Forum Resident

Had to be done. Watching the dvd right now - possibly my favourite DS.

17. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

This is a very good show.

Crispy Rob, WaterLemon and sami like this.
  18. ratstack

ratstack Forum Resident

So I started this over. Does anyone have any insight into this show? 2/23/93? Specifically, Iko Iko. It starts with about 13 minutes of rudimentary, slow Iko/NFA beat. It’s kind of neat, but goes on forever and nothing happens until Jerry finally shows up, speeds it up a little, and goes into Iko. Was this a normal occurrence for this song in this era? Was someone other than Bill and Micky playing along? Did Jerry have to unexpectedly take a fiver or something?

sami likes this.
  19. US Blues

A sadly appropriate tune given today's news about Neal.

Tell me what you done it for,
    No I won't, tell you a thing...

Crispy Rob, budwhite, sami and 5 others like this.
  20. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

It was a Mardi Gras show, there was a parade and extra percussion. Denardo Coleman (Ornette's son) and Sikiru Adepoju I believe.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
  21. Freebird

A complete coincidence. I was spinning 11/11/73 yesterday and Jerry’s first guitar break was just the most beautiful thing I’d ever heard.

22. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Yes, Ornette started playing during Space and continued for the rest of the second set. "Stella Blue" with Ornette was...odd. Also a peculiar "Other One" with Ornette going on one tangent after another before the band finally gets to the verse.

Crispy Rob, sami and US Blues like this.
  23. US Blues

There are no coincidences in the GD Universe, only more or less obvious synchronicities.

24. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

25. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

I remember when the Move Me Brightly blu-ray came out Neal made a strong impression on me, like when he was talking about what Days Between meant to him. He seemed like a thoughtful and interesting person and it prompted me to seek out his work. A sad loss.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2019