OLED vs QLED and so on...

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by head_unit, Aug 26, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member Thread Starter

Considering getting a new TV, though have a lot of competing $$$ demands at this moment. Looking casually at TVs at Costco, Walmart, Target, Magnolia...gee, they ALL have a really good picture, even TCL etc.

Now, I see OLED prices going down, but I wonder if that's right for me. My friend's new 55" LG sure looks good, but I'm at a 60" (Vizio C60M3) and no way I would go smaller. Then my Spectrum guy said I could change to their thing with a Roku or whatever, or Samsung has a built-in app for the Spectrum TV. I really like built-in as opposed to separate dongle! But Samsung is all about QLED.

My watching is usually with a LOT of ambient light, windows all over. I tend to watch in late afternoon. Serious movies, rarely. So I wonder if OLED is really so advantageous? And how does it compare to QLED? And, to stretch things, is a smaller OLED better than a size or two larger QLED?

Another consideration, given my ambient light situation: which has less glare off the screen?

2. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Given that you watch with lots of ambient light, I would go for the QLED, as that technology produces brighter pictures compared to OLEDs.

That depends on the what type of screen filter is used, rather than TV technology itself. Possibly OLEDs might have some innate advantage as they don't have a multi-layer screen design like LCDs do (QLEDs are LCD displays).

3. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

C'mon, head_unit, we've done this one before. And you know, Vidiot's probably chimed-in with decent advice in every thread. Search is your...

4. Go with the OLED and don't look back.

5. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

8K TVs available now.

6. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Isn’t QLED so 2016?

7. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

That'd be my advice. And lower the light level in your room. TVs are intended to be watched at a specific brightness level, and if you punch it harder, you're seeing the film in ways the filmmakers didn't intend for you to experience.

8. GregM

GregM The expanding man

I'm amazed by my 77" OLED. Still trying to wrap my brain around the improvements in dynamic range and resolution and how much it benefits various source material. Sometimes I like to watch in a bright room, but I tell you the brightest light in my entire house is that new TV during some scenes. Stunning technology.

mikeyt likes this.
  9. Old Mac

Old Mac Forum Resident

Need to get a new tv. Amazon prime won't work on my plasma's app after September. Here's the deal, tho, my wife watches the stock channel and news channels all day and I have pretty bad burn-in on my screen. I've read that OLED also has burn-in problems. What kind of tv should I look at to avoid these problems?

10. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

There is only one alternative to OLED (currently), and that is LCD. However, you won't have a problem with OLED burn-in if you watch mostly movies and tv shows. You might have a problem if you use an OLED for gaming or as a PC monitor, where you get extended periods of time where solid color graphics appear displayed in the same position.

Old Mac likes this.
  11. GreenDrazi

GreenDrazi Truth is beauty

WOW. The first thread here about OLED TV's. :rolleyes:

12. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Well, he did just specify his wife uses the TV for prolonged viewing of stock ticker channels and news channels that tend to have static logos and other images not unlike a PC monitor. My solution would be to buy the wife an LCD and buy myself an OLED. Although OLEDs are more robust than plasmas, which were getting pretty robust in their own rite relative to the first few generations of the screens. And now OLEDs have a pixel shift feature to help eliminate burn in.

13. Old Mac

Old Mac Forum Resident

Appreciate the responses from both you and Deesky and you're right, the burn-in comes directly from the stock market ticker. You can see it during bright parts of movies, etc. I'm not going to try to change her viewing habits (I don't feel like I should have to) and I've also heard that the OELD's are better for burn-in than plasma's. I'm looking at a Samsung RU8OO LED (LCD?) and I like the price point as compared to OLED's. I'm not terribly picky about having the absolute best picture available. So to keep peace in the household, I may go this way. Once again, thanks for the advice and I'm always open for more.
    PS, my wife, God bless her, has offered to watch these channels on her tablet but I think she deserves to watch it on a nice flat screen.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
  14. Alan G.

Alan G. Forum Resident

I (still) have a Pioneer Elite plasma. When we got it a decade ago, I used a burn-in (prevention) disc made available from a calibrator with a “rapper” name on the AVS forum. The first 36 hours of use was running this disc. Haven’t had any sort of burn-in, ever. Don’t know if the same sort of thing is currently used for OLED, which will most likely be my next set.

However you decide, you’re in good hands with Deesky and Vidiot. Seriously.

15. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member Thread Starter

But old threads aren't necessarily useful, as things tend to change rapidly in this area.

A question about the burn-in-didn't some sets used to have a control to move pixels up/down? Or am I dreaming? Or confusing with some plasma screen saver thing?

It's not practical to lower the light level where I am in the late afternoon. As a matter of fact, I was told the Liquid Amber trees in my front yard, which shade the living room in the afternoons, are infected an dying >> the light situation may get worse. No, I'm not coming home and totally closing the windows to make it more cave-like and darker for the TV.

Hmmm, I wonder how one could test for screen glare? Take a flash picture head-on at a standardized distance? Though ambient reflections aren't always head-on.

mikeyt and Luke The Drifter like this.
  16. supermd

supermd Senior Member

OLED is to Visual Arts as Beatles are to Music Corner?

;)

17. supermd

supermd Senior Member

How does such a burn-in disc work?

18. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

It does things like B&W gradient sweeps and/or white noise in order to activate all the pixels from minimum to maximum levels (to get the pixels 'unstuck'). It needs to run for at least an hour, but preferably much longer (depending on the severity of the problem).

My Samsung plasma has a built-in gradient sweep function that you can run any time.

19. supermd

supermd Senior Member

@Alan G. said his was a burn-in prevention disc. Is what you are describing more of a burn-in fix disc?

I do not have any burn-in on my Samsung plasma, despite being a gamer. I don't game for hours on end, so maybe that's why my set hasn't experienced any problems.

mikeyt likes this.
  20. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I think it's the same thing. If you run it on a regular basis (problem or not), it helps to prevent burn-in effects slowly accumulating over time (if you watch content that is likely to cause burn-in issues).

In terms of active prevention, there are measures like pixel shifting (native to the TV) to minimize effects of static logos, etc.

supermd likes this.
  21. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Disney/Marvel just officially endorsed OLED TVs as being the best way to see their films & TV shows at home:

Disney and Marvel throw their weight behind OLED TVs | TechRadar

I'm 100% in agreement with them -- provided people turn on "Filmmaker Mode" and get the sets calibrated. OLEDs can look bad, too, if they're not set up correctly.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2020
    Dan C, RolandG and SandAndGlass like this.
  22. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Yeah, my LG 4K OLED was a revelation. I thought my Panny plasma looked great but the OLED was a noticeable improvement...

RolandG and Blastproof like this.
  23. What about burn-in from letter-box films, or 4:3 TV shows (pillar-box)? Is it an issue?

24. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I have had a QLED TV for a few years now. I am completely satisfied with it. I bought a 65" curved screen as a demo for just under $1k.

They are excellent where there is a lot of ambient light.

They are way better in picture quality than the other LED TV's and will cost you half as much as an OLED.

The OLED does have a better picture but does so at twice the price. OLED prices have come down, but so gave the QLED sets. This is as specially true if you are looking at the 70" sets and larger.

The picture will be horrible out if the box. Just look how to set the set to Movie Mode and the picture becomes incredible.

The colors are become natural and everything changes with that one single setting.

I never watch commercial TV, only home media. I have never used the built in speakers and use my stereo with the 5.1 channel surround sound.

Although I have the Polk LSiM707's as my front mains and have their large 706C center channel speaker, it was too large to fit on my TV stand, so I have continued to use the one I bought for my RTiA9's, the CSiA6, which is on sale for $199.

I realize that you were inquiring about TV's but I wanted to throw some audio your way also, regardless of which TV you decide upon.

My unit is in real cherry wood veneer, like the photo. It really sounds excellent and can keep up with the LSiM's. I have a 250-Watt mono Emotiva power amp running it.

CSiA6 | Center Channel Speakers | Polk Audio
    [​IMG]

25. JCRW

JCRW Forum Resident

This may be a silly question but I am looking into getting an OLED tv shortly and I'm wondering if there is a right time to get calibration done on the screen? I have a local dealer that offers ISF calibration so I would probably buy the TV from them and get that service included in the package.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.