Most confusing/convoluted plots of all time

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Rocker, Aug 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

Barton Fink. Seen it multiple times and still don't know what the hell is going on.

2. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

Lots of 70s Italian giallos. The fact that many of these use the same group of actors, combined with the fact that I am drinking red wine, does not help.

3. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Fastnbulbous likes this.
  4. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

While the Mitchum version unforgivably moves the time to then-current London, it makes the plot perfectly easy to follow, as you stated.
    But I love Mitchum in the role.

Richard--W likes this.
  5. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

Yes, very good example. Me and my GF bailed on this after about 1/2 hour, I assume nothing happened in the rest of it to clarify what was going on. It's ok, at that point we no longer cared.

6. ThePaleRider

ThePaleRider Forum Resident

2001 makes complete sense if you watch it high...:confused:

Saint Johnny likes this.
  7. Jerrika

Jerrika Mysterious Ways

I read Cloud Atlas, yet I found the book and the movie both so convoluted.

Vidiot and Scotian like this.
  8. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

No one mentioned 200 Motels?

When we get to the Nun Suit and the Newts, it was crazy. I almost turned it off (these were VHS days), but I had the feeling I might never see it again.

9. I understand crap dialogue mixes are something of a Nolan trademark. Interstellar had the same issues.

Vidiot likes this.
  10. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Minority Report - to the extent it had anything believable - some technology - most of it was lost on me. Alternate time zones, those irritating precogs etc.

At least I guessed Max von Sydow would be the villain (like Huston in China Town) :)

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  11. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Good call.

12. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Chrome_Head likes this.
  13. Saint Johnny

Saint Johnny Forum Resident

After seeing someone post Barton Fink, for some reason that reminded me of The Cook The Thief His Wife And Her Lover, oh lord! What a mess that film was. Two or so hours I'll never get back.

Oh and Liquid Sky was another doozy....
    And Pink Flamingos....ahhhh nooooooo!

Magnolia was another indecipherable film, to me!

And another... Withnail & I. The Brits love it. But it went way over this yanks head.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
  14. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Skip the beer before watching.

the pope ondine likes this.
  15. Saintbert

Saintbert Forum Resident

I watched Jean-Luc Godard's "Prénom Carmen" (1983), and then read the plot outline on Wikipedia to find out what had been going on. But it just repeated what I had seen, which wasn't helpful because what I saw made very little sense. From what I could gather it's a film about making a film to cover for a kidnapping and that film being made is also this film you are watching, only the script is not ready and they are not sure whether to make fiction or a documentary, so everything that happens could happen any other way and does happen, simultaneously, depending on whether it is real or not, which it obviously isn't. Having finished the film, I could watch it again and keep better track of the goings-on, but I won't.

16. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

I've seen Kiss Kiss Bang Bang a few times & is one of my favourite movies but I still don't understand some of the plot.

17. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

That's me & Mulholland Drive. Sometimes it just purdy pictures.

18. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

[​IMG]

19. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I wished I could have walked out, but I wasn't the driver. But he sat through Branaugh's Henry V with me, so I'm betting it bored him silly.

At least 20 people walked out of The Cook.

Saint Johnny likes this.
  20. Culpa

Culpa Forum Resident

I'm okay with Mulholland Drive, it's Lost Highway that I can't figure out. :)

Saint Johnny likes this.
  21. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

I've seen The Godfather Pt. II at least a dozen times and it's one of my favorites...yet I'm not sure I could explain the Hyman Roth/Michael storyline.

22. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

I loved that movie- saw it on TV when i was young and have seen it a couple times since- though not in a long while.

23. Saint Johnny

Saint Johnny Forum Resident

Honest question. Why? How so?

twicks likes this.
  24. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

It mostly has to do with the attempt on Pentageli's life. Really muddled as to whether that was supposed to be a legit whacking broken up by a nosy cop (which is how it's played and I've always read it) or Roth trying to turn Pentangeli against the Corleones (which is what ends up happening in the movie).

Neither answer makes any sense. I think the only sensible conclusion is that Francis messed up.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
  25. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

It's one of my favorite films, but I nominate the Mick Jagger-starring Performance (1970).

Another of the director Donald Cammell's films, White Of The Eye, would certainly qualify as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.