Speculation & Facts-Partial Beatles reunion recorded

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by johnny moondog 909, Aug 28, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan Thread Starter

First facts-Former John Lennon friend & record producer Jack Douglas.

Douglas announced Sunday at Beatlefest Liverpool....he had recently produced a duet of Ringo Starr & Paul McCartney..to be issued as the 1st single off of Ringo's upcoming album.. he also said it's fabulous...*-Douglas has never been listed in any capacity, of having worked with McCartney-Starr or Harrison at anytime prior to Sunday's announcement.

On or about the same day Douglas broke the announcement ( Sunday ) a blog -Something New Beatles blog....the same people that publish 'Beatle's Monthly'--a long standing Beatles news publication...leaked a tracklist which includes the song title "Grow Old With Me"....which is a well known title of one of Lennon's final songs...recorded in demo form only..& released on Milk & Honey in 1984...& later augmented by a George Martin orchestration, it was released a 2nd time, on a Lennon compilation..-Fact----it was also one of at least 4 demos given to Paul by Yoko, prior to the Beatles reunion/anthology.. at the Hall Of Fame induction.

Fact---oddly the 10 song leaked Ringo tracklist, also contains besides Grow old with me....the titles 'Money' a beatles cover from 1963...& the title "Magic"--a title from McCartney's 2001 album Driving Rain...

Fact---some of our Beatles 'insiders' here on the forum have said recently..that a significant or interesting Beatles related or Beatles project would be announced prior to the Abbey Road 50th box set...& that it has nothing to do with- the recent Beatles UK singles box..

Recap-we Do know...Lennon producer J. Douglas produced the upcoming Ringo/Paul duet lead single...We do know Lennon's producer-a Lennon song & a Paul & Ringo duet happened & is scheduled for release shortly..

WE DON'T KNOW---If they used a Recording of Lennon singing-Grow old me & or if it is augmented by Paul & Ringo..with three beatles on the track...

It seems possible, even likely given the totality of what we do know....what do you think ?

Can any insiders fill us in a bit more ?

PS Gorts....similar info & posts exist in the new Ringo album thread...but the thread title doesn't have any of the Beatlez-Douglas related info..

Bullis, Usagi75 and GoodKitty like this.
  2. johnny moondog 909

Alright Floyd of Maui !

3. BVDL

BVDL Well-Known Member

Hi Johnny, I was actually in the Adelphi Ballroom in Liverpool on Sunday when Jack made the announcement. First of all, he did not say anything about the actual song, so whether this concerns Grow Old With Me and whether John's voice is part of the mix, is obviously pure speculation. He did make the following very clear though:
    1. He only produced one song on Ringo's new album and it is supposed to be the lead single;
    2. Paul appears on it and shares lead vocals with Ringo;
    3. Joe Walsh plays guitar on the track;
    4. An official announcement is expected mid-September;
    5. The single and album are expected to be released in November;
    6. It is going to be sensational.
    7. Everything is top secret :)
    By the way, Jack also mentioned he worked with George on the Bangladesh project, so he now has his quartet complete...

4. johnny moondog 909

Is it top secret seriously ? But why ??

What do you believe is going on ???....why nearly 40 years after Lennon's death...are Paul & Ringo...working with Jack Douglas ??? It's not like they couldn't have gotten his number !!!!

If the song isin't with Lennon too....why is he there ?? But if it was Grow old with me...he'd ( Lennon ) be singing too...but that's a trio, & Douglas said duet ? Paul & Ringo...

W

5. BVDL

BVDL Well-Known Member

Maybe a bit more context then about how the interview went on Sunday. The interviewer asked Jack about the day John was shot. Jack explained that he normally used to take a cab home with John every night after the sessions, except for that fatal night because he just started work on another project in the same studios. He was devastated after he heard the news and wondered for years what would have happened if he would have been there; if he would have been able to stop Chapman, etc. He explained he was so heartbroken that he lost himself in drugs and booze and was barely able to function for three, four years. It was quite emotional. Because the interviewer wanted to end on a positive note, he asked Jack about his latest project with Ringo (which the two had obviously talked about before the interview). Jack explained that he couldn't really say much, because it was all very secret, but was obviously so excited that he then proceeded to say all the things I listed in the post above. Since he said it in front of 1000+ people, I didn't see any harm in sharing it here.

What I believe is not relevant Johnny. All the things you mention are of course racing through my head as well, but I simply don't know. Let's all be patient and hopefully pleasantly surprised real soon. It might be another few very nice months for Beatle fans...

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
  6. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Not so nice for my bank account ... ;)

7. Victor46542

Victor46542 Victor Baissait of Maccaclub

All we can do is wait. ;) Maybe the tracklist we got is fake... Money can be another song than the cover by the Beatles

PhoffiFozz likes this.
  8. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Maybe it's Badfinger's "Money":

9. Victor46542

or the Pink Floyd :p

johnny moondog 909 likes this.
  10. BlueJay

BlueJay Forum Resident

So Jack Douglas never said the song was a Lennon song, right? It could have nothing to do with Lennon at all. The only reason for thinking/assuming that it does is that Douglas worked with Lennon in 1980. It seems to me likely therefore that the song has some Lennon connection but we really don't know that for sure. We certainly don't know that it's a song written by Lennon. Maybe Ringo and Paul have added vocals to one of the many oldies John played during the rehearsals for Double Fantasy. Patience, patience.

Elliottmarx and omikron like this.
  11. Victor46542

He never said it will be a lennon song. A tracklist of the album had leak, we don't know if it's the one or if it's wrong but on song on the list is "Grow Old With Me" and Lennon record a song with that name

Wikipedia: "The two new songs, "Grow Old with Me" and "Let Me Count the Ways" were originally meant for inclusion on the Double Fantasy album. However, Lennon and Ono were working on a tight deadline to get the album finished and released before Christmas, and decided to postpone recording of the song until the following year (1981) for the follow-up album, Milk and Honey. This never happened due to Lennon's murder in December 1980."

12. BVDL

BVDL Well-Known Member

And Badfinger's Better Days?

13. lavalamp3

lavalamp3 Forum Resident

My punt is that it's Life Begins at 40!

John originally demo'd the song for Ringo's Stop and Smell the Roses project.

Yeah, I know they're now personally long past that particular milestone but who cares, the song would suit Ringo's voice far better than GOWM and the new track could perhaps feature part of John's original demo?

Anyway, just my punt!

14. BlueJay

BlueJay Forum Resident

Well if it's not Grow Old With Me, I'd far rather it were Nobody Told Me, also a song originally offered to Ringo. It's a much better song and far more likely to get attention in 2019.

blastfurniss and Ringo Hendrix like this.
  15. PhoffiFozz

PhoffiFozz Forum Resident

Something tells me that a song with John singing and Paul & Ringo on it, would probably not end up on Ringo's next album. But hey, my own personal speculation really means nothing in the grand scheme of things...

I do remember Paul mentioning a few years ago that he'd like to get together with Ringo and finish the other Beatles 90's stuff, but I took his comment as in the same line as "I'd like to write a song with George", "I'd like to record a version of 'Please, Please Me' in the original style with Roy Orbison", "I'd like to write a song with Bob Dylan"... basically things he'd like to do, but probably will never get around to...

Incidentally, I was under the impression that "Grow Old With Me" was never worked on but "Now and Then" was, just never finished. And then there's the alleged "All For Love".

There are plenty of songs called "Money". And technically the song The Beatles covered was "Money (That's What I Want)". Remember Ringo covered a different song called "Bad Boy" and wrote a song called "Slow Down", so I don't have much speculation on what "Money" is, if the track listing is real.

I also can't put much stock in a 'leaked' track listing. Does everyone remember all the fake track listings throughout Paul's career in the internet age?

And lastly, the comments sound like typical pre-lease producer hype comments. I mean, when you work with Paul & Ringo, it's pretty exciting no matter what it is. Paul was on Ringo's last album on a couple tracks. (Playing some awesome bass). And remember "Walk With You", from Y Not? They do this from time to time. - And I love it. I like Ringo's albums, but it seems most people will probably not be as excited... unfortunately...

BVDL, BlueJay and Victor46542 like this.
  16. lavalamp3

lavalamp3 Forum Resident

You may well be right but I just think it'd be nice if LB@40 finally got a release. A definitive Nobody Told Me, complete with John's vocal has long since been out there and I very much doubt any Ringo vocal version will improve on it.

Anyway, I very much doubt it is gonna be LB@40... just having a bit of fun!

17. johnny moondog 909

I hate being repetitive...but at the risk of doing so.... why ?

Did Paul & Ringo hire John Lennon's producer-for the first time....Jack Douglas 39 years after Lennon died...

AND WHY-Did a tracklist leak at the same time, to the long standing Beatles monthly blog/magazine people...showing Grow Old With Me....on this tracklist ??? Seems to coincidental..

MEANWHILE-producer Jack Douglas has said yes, he just produced the one song ' a duet of Paul & Ringo " singing the new single off Ringo's upcoming album...

Why was an elderly Douglas hired 39 years after John's death ? Just one song ? There's gotta be a reason...

Yet nobody in the music press is reporting on the obvious possibilities why ????

We need some answers.

PLEASE feel free to pm me on the qt if you know what up.....smells like threetles track ?

18. Victor46542

Maybe it can be a fake tracklist made by someone knowing that Jack Douglas was a producer of a track and add "grow old with me" on the fake tracklist just to fool everybody

19. paul62

paul62 Forum Resident

Maybe, Jack Douglas and Yoko Ono have made amends and she has asked Jack, Paul and Ringo to finish off a track or two from the Double Fantasy/Milk and Honey sessions?

20. BlueJay

BlueJay Forum Resident

Paul on bass, Ringo on drums and ...... Yoko on vocals!

paul62 and Ringo Hendrix like this.
  21. johnny moondog 909

After you.

22. Mickey2

Mickey2 Forum Resident

Apart from the rambling "Mystery Box" thread that leads to no firm conclusion that I could see, what does this comment refer to?

23. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

"Money" and "Magic" aren't exactly uncommon titles. There's dozens of songs that have those titles, and it's not a stretch that they could be new songs.

sean4554 and johnny moondog 909 like this.
  24. johnny moondog 909

That's certainly true. But coming directly after the listing for Grow Old With Me, & given Jack Douglas remarks, Douglas's participation ( for 1st time ever ) with Ringo & Paul, & all the cryptic secrecy, or remarks that unclear.

The comments on my part about Money & Magic were meant really just as an aside or hey & what's this about ? The main issues in my mind are, is there a recording featuring 3 Beatles or only 2 ? Is the Grow Old w Me an augmented recording including Lennon ? & is it even the 1 song with Jack Douglas involvement on the project.. is GOWM even the interesting track here, that people are hush hush about.

Also if it's not GOWM, did Paul & Ringo write & record a new song alluding to the Beatles lyrically & stylistically, the big letdown imo will be if after all the innuendo it's just another 'average' Cowrite of Ringo & Lukather or Ringo & Richard Marx & Paul just dropped by for 3 hours & played bass & sang a bit...now if they really dug in & worked out a good song together about Beatles days with a superlative Jack Douglas production & or Lennon joining them on tape, imo that would be satisfying.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.