The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

Did the Dead ever play a bad version of Greatest Story Ever Told in 1972? It just seems to me that every single version from 72 is insanely good and takes the energy to a higher level

Crispy Rob, budwhite, trd and 5 others like this.
  2. Freebird

Freebird Was 205 pounds, now 215.

Hi. I’m taking song suggestions for a Grateful Dead primer playlist to share with a friend that doesn’t know much Grateful Dead outside of Casey Jones.

Songs need to be available on Spotify. Should I make a public playlist that friends can add too or just drop suggestions here. I don’t know. What do y’all think?

sami, sparkmeister and ianuaditis like this.
  3. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

Yeah, and that Portland show from May I was listening to recently was a smoker, too. I might have to do a deep dive into 1980. I remember that Philly show from the early days of CD-R trading.

4. uzn007

Only do that if you want to wind up with a playlist of every song the GD ever performed.

What are your favorite GD songs? What does your friend like? Assuming you're already a deadhead (judging by your avatar), what do you think would "turn him on"? I don't think there's any "magic playlist" that will make someone appreciate the Dead (but if there is, it's probably from 1968-69 or 1972-73).

5. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

What's he into musically?

I tend to lean towards the songs if it someone who's not a pothead or not into late 60s/early 70s classic rock/california music.

So Ripple, Truckin', Dire Wolf, Easy Wind even, St. Stephen from the 'What a Long Strange Trip it's Been' comp, E72 songs like ramblin rose, etc.

6. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

E72 is my standard recommendation.
    The LST soundtrack would be a good career overview (not sure if amazon exclusive).

budwhite, sami, Freebird and 2 others like this.
  7. sparkmeister

sparkmeister Forum Resident

I made my own Spotify playlist called ‘Grateful Dead - an introduction to...’, which you can try searching for.

bzfgt, ianuaditis, uzn007 and 2 others like this.
  8. sami

sami Mono still rules

Amazing, as 3-1-69 was my listen today and I was going to come here and ask if it was possible there was ever a TOO that matched this one, an absolute barn burner. Phil's thunderous intro was like a Primal Clarion Call, and Jerry is just blazing throughout TOO and really the entire show. Phil's bass solo on NPC is a monster. The DS>St. Stephen>Eleven>Lovelight conclusion to the second set is off the charts.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
  9. uzn007

Based on screenshot you posted, I'm guessing that you're referring to March 1st, 1969 (not 1970) and the answer is no, no there isn't.

"The American version of the Japanese movie The Magnificent Seven."

10. sami

sami Mono still rules

Brain fart looking at the post I quoted. What a great line by Graham!

wavethatflag likes this.
  11. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

The Office made it easier for some by calling the American version The Office.

“The sky was yellow and the sun was blue.” Dave’s 31 convinced me the Plinkmaster was best captured on cassette tape.

Also, that was the most transitional TMNS I’ve ever heard, spanning the gap between the Godchaux and Brent eras. They even try to preserve the high feminine backing vocal. I wonder how long that lasted.

12. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Brent sounded like that for a couple years I think, before he started to weep and defecate while he sang

13. WaterLemon

WaterLemon Forum Resident

Rochester 9/2/80 is a fantastic show from that late summer, too. One of my favorite Terrapins ever, an excellent Iko-Dew, and very good 1st set featuring a mid-set China Rider (Jerry singing “Bob’s” verse too).

Must be your post that put me on 5/11/80. That was a good way to spend my commute earlier this week. Thanks Mate!

Crispy Rob, adamos, budwhite and 5 others like this.
  14. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

Did BG mean to say "The Seven Samurai"?

Crispy Rob, budwhite, bzfgt and 2 others like this.
  15. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

3/1/69 is definitely in the top ten of all "That's it for the Other One" performances. That first set is a scorcher.

Crispy Rob, bzfgt, budwhite and 3 others like this.
  16. sami

sami Mono still rules

It is, but the jam to close the second set is no slouch. Jerry just scorches in The Eleven.

17. notesofachord

And yet, March 1 is only my second favorite show of that run. The night before, 2/28/69, is my favorite. How you listened to that one?

18. uzn007

Yes it is. The Providence show from that tour is good, too (9/4?).

Presumably, although I've read that The Seven Samurai was sometimes known as The Magnificent Seven in English. I don't know if this was before or after the remake.

Crispy Rob and WaterLemon like this.
  19. uzn007

That may be a better second set, and/or a better show in general, but the "TIFTOO" from 3/1 is magnificent.

Crispy Rob, bzfgt and notesofachord like this.
  20. bzfgt

It's vicious as hell. I haven't heard 1970-01-03.

But I'll tell you what else is vicious: 1970-05-15 from the early show (as found on RT 3.3).

I wish I liked Cryptical Envelopement more when I listen to this era...

21. notesofachord

I love it.

Crispy Rob, adamos, budwhite and 6 others like this.
  22. sami

sami Mono still rules

I have, but it's been a while. That will be rectified very soon.

notesofachord likes this.
  23. Ray29

Ray29 Forum Resident

First time hearing this 6/24/73 Dark Star. What a beauty. And I’m loving the Bobby fills in between the early Jerry leads. The sound is top notch with Phil rumbling through my speakers. Though I don’t seem to hear Keith at all. Any chance he may have sat this song out or is he just really low in the mix? Anyway, so glad I finally picked this box set up. Only problem is 3 discs have scratches and smudges, but it doesn’t effect the playback. Sent 3 messages to Dr Rhino over the last 6 weeks. No response. Really wish quality control and Rhino customer service would be better.

Crispy Rob, adamos, budwhite and 6 others like this.
  24. JNTEX

JNTEX Lava Police

03/29/90 - Nassau, Marsalis on the sax for maybe the 2nd set....very nice eyes.

Think this weekend is going to be 90s shows.

25. bzfgt

Yeah I have noticed that too, I think he's just low in the mix

sami and Ray29 like this.