Most confusing/convoluted plots of all time

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Rocker, Aug 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Saint Johnny

Saint Johnny Forum Resident

Agreed, Performance was way hard to figure out, for me too.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  2. Saint Johnny

Saint Johnny Forum Resident

All valid points, I'm going to have to watch it again.

twicks likes this.
  3. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Was Syriana mentioned?

4. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Catch 22 had a non linear narrative before Slaughterhouse 5

5. vegafleet

vegafleet Forum Resident

It was mentioned before, but after a great first season, season 2 of Westworld was incomprehensible to me. I get that we are jumping back and forth in time, and since many of the characters are robots, they dont age, so sometimes you dont know where/when you are. After maybe the first 3 episodes I gave up. Somewhere I read that you had to keep track of the clothing of one of the characters to know where/when you were.

I also got that there had been more than one (maybe 3) robot rebellion/uprising going on in season 2 and we are being shown a time hash of all of them. So the point is that the human handlers think they can control their robot creations but things get out of control time and time again. And the robots will kill to be free again and again. But it did not have to be that complicated. Some of the reveals were neat but others made no sense.

budwhite and kevywevy like this.
  6. vegafleet

vegafleet Forum Resident

Read the book, the movie is maybe 1/3 of the book plotwise. The book is clearer than the movie because a lot of backstory and motivation is filled in. James Ellroy is an amazing writer. Works better if you read the 4 novels that comprise his LA Quartet, and then follow up with American Tabloid and its sequel. Some of the same characters flow in and out of these books, including the ones from LA Confidential.

Greg Gee and Brenald79 like this.
  7. Phil Tate

Phil Tate Miss you Indy x

Yep, I have no problem with Mulholland Dr, it makes perfect sense as far as I'm concerned. Probably one of my top 3 films of all time as well.

Lost Highway I can more or less follow. Inland Empire, however..........:confused:

Fastnbulbous and Culpa like this.
  8. Culpa

Culpa Forum Resident

I do love Inland Empire, but yeah.......:)

Fastnbulbous and Phil Tate like this.
  9. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Syriana (2005) was difficult to follow for me.

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  10. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

The one with Danny Huston and John Hurt? I love that movie. I've seen it probably three times. What's confusing about it?

11. Greg Gee

Greg Gee "I tried to change but I changed my mind..."

Yes! Great film that I own on Blu- Ray. I don't find the film confusing at all, but as I mentioned, I loaned it to a friend who said he couldn't follow it. Maybe it was just "too Australian" for my American friend? I haven't a clue what his problem was with it. ;o)

GodShifter likes this.
  12. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

wtf? It's basically only a few characters, why is it confusing? Excellent movie. It's one of those reliable ones that when you mention it to someone, they will invariably say "What?"

GodShifter and Greg Gee like this.
  13. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I would add that some people got lost during The Big Short. I admit I did stop the dvd once or twice to walk through things with the wife

GodShifter likes this.
  14. Greg Gee

Greg Gee "I tried to change but I changed my mind..."

Yeah, I'm with you on The Proposition. Great film and I thought it was pretty straight-forward, though as it begins, it does start right in the middle of a gun fight. The rest of the film fills in the blanks, though, as it gets into the main plot.

GodShifter likes this.
  15. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

Never Stop Never Stopping?

16. Phil Tate

Phil Tate Miss you Indy x

It doesn't take much - let's not forget that some people couldn't understand how John Travolta got shot in Pulp Fiction then came back to life :crazy:

GodShifter and BluesOvertookMe like this.
  17. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

I don't believe that John Waters was making any attempt to deliver a concise, tightly woven plot.

18. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

"Tree of Life" is a difficult movie to get through. I would add that Malick's "To the Wonder" was equally difficult/confusing.

19. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

but whats in the box!

[​IMG]

20. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I've narrowed it down somewhat. I'm pretty sure it isn't Gwynethh Paltrow's head....................

the pope ondine likes this.
  21. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

Dickens Little Dorrit from 2008. Had to get online and Google an explanation for the ending. From what I read, it was confusing to the public way back in 1857 when the ending was first published.

22. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Endings? Jack Nicholson's The Pledge is my choice for wtf endings.
    And I remember he gave a rare interview to the NYT and said 'isn't it obvious?":wtf:

23. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Anybody here seen "Enemy" with Jake Gyllenhaal? :)

Rocker likes this.
  24. Derek Slazenger

Derek Slazenger Specs, rugs & rock n roll

[​IMG]

I still have no idea what was going on. Cool though :)

Dudley Morris and Phil Tate like this.
  25. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

The Rosato-Bros. thug (Danny Aiello) saying to Pentangeli "Michael Corleone sends his regards" was a strange moment. Why does a imminent dead man need to hear this? This line broke the fourth wall as it was stated just so the audience could here it.

twicks likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.