Best actor in the 21st Century?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by alexpop, Aug 29, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

Justin Theroux

alexpop likes this.
  2. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I'd have to go with Philip Seymour Hoffman, too.

3. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits.... Thread Starter

Directors daughter.

4. A Most Wanted Man

alexpop likes this.
  5. alexpop

I all but gave up on him with that Chinese cgi movie..but then along came Downsizing.

6. alexpop

Liked The Leftovers

7. C4rl

C4rl Forum Resident

For me its a toss-up between Daniel Day-Lewis and Christian Bale :confused:

SRC and alexpop like this.
  8. stewedandkeefed

stewedandkeefed Came Ashore In The Dead Of The Night

Helen Mirren in The Queen is about as great as acting gets in my opinion. I mean she was Elizabeth II.

royzak2000 likes this.
  9. razerx

razerx Forum Resident

Don Cheadle.

alexpop and LilacTeardrop like this.
  10. Dellarigg

Dellarigg Forum Resident

Casey Affleck. His performance in Manchester By The Sea was on a par with the 70s performances of De Niro and Pacino, or 50s Brando, and it doesn't get any better than that. Michelle Williams, also.

alexpop and LilacTeardrop like this.
  11. alexpop

He was great in Love Reign Over Me.

LilacTeardrop likes this.
  12. alexpop

Jesse James film is where I first took notice of him.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
    polchik and Dellarigg like this.
  13. alexpop

That’s a no brainer imo. The poet laureate’s son.

14. razerx

razerx Forum Resident

He won me over as Sammy Davis Jr in the Rat Pack movie. Don Cheadle as a character actor tend to over shadow the stars, in my opinion of course.

Panama Hotel and alexpop like this.
  15. alexpop

He should get a higher profile in MCU films.

16. GregM

GregM The expanding man

With all due respect to Cranston, I really don't think his performances are in the same league. Not nearly as nuanced and engaging as Gandolfini's, and IMO he does not command the range that Gandolfini showed. Whether the Walt character is acting menacing or loving or anything in between, I just didn't get an authentic feeling from the performance, and it felt campy. Cranston relies on that campy approach to make up for his acting deficiencies--that's my observation anyway. Some of that is by design--you don't have to truly get to the core of a character when you're running around in your undies or chasing a fly around a laboratory. Contrast that with Tony's character and Gandolfini commits on another level and really makes you believe in the raw emotion and the more strategic machinations of the character. Also, it was a far more complicated set of acting challenges he faced because of the Melfi factor and in allowing the audience to access Tony's thoughts and emotions. Granted, Gandolfini was working with superior writers and co-stars on HBO, which knows how to produce higher quality shows.

KeninDC and Panama Hotel like this.
  17. jlocke08

jlocke08 Forum Resident

love the Gandolfini observations but couldn't disagree more on the Cranston comments. have you seen all of Breaking Bad? doesn't really sound like it IMO. also, if your talking about actors in a certain century, you have to look at more than one show/movie to form a body of work for comparison. besides Sopranos, Gandolfini has far less to compare(mainly due to his untimely death i know). additionally, "campy" is not a word i have ever heard used to describe Cranston in BB. he showed easily as much range of emotion and possibly more of the core of his character as he went through the transformation from teacher/family man to wanted drug dealer. if anything, Gandolfini's fine pereformance as Tony Soprano was much more one note (angry) than Walter White.
    lastly, Cranston was working with just as "superior" writers and co-stars as Gandolfini. all you have to do is look at Emmy nominations and wins to see that the cast/writers of BB are just as good and highly regarded as those of the Sopranos.

alexpop likes this.
  18. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

Helen is fantastic but that can't be the only reason she is great is it? Don't you think every English sounding actress (and maybe some who don't) have played one of the Elizabeths? Judi Dench, Cate Blanchett, Gwenda Jackson, Claire Foy. I think I am just scraping the surface of this list.

The queen is a popular subject in the 21st century. And that is just the tip of the iceberg really. The list can go on. Admittedly, playing the queen has to rank as one of the great achievements in an acting career. It's a tough gig in life and film. :)

stewedandkeefed likes this.
  19. stewedandkeefed

stewedandkeefed Came Ashore In The Dead Of The Night

While playing royalty is an area that has been mined very successfully by many actors (including Colin Firth and Nigel Hawthorne - whose Queen was none other than Helen Mirren), I found something quite extraordinary about Ms. Mirren's performance in The Queen. A couple of examples - a scene where Phillip laments the fact that Diana couldn't just keep quiet about marital discord and carry on privately - Mirren shoots him a look that says so much. A second example would just be the general compassion with which she portrayed Elizabeth as she came to realize that she no longer had her hand on the pulse of the nation. Most of that was done non-verbally as well.

carrick doone likes this.
  20. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

Daniel Day Lewis surely. What is it ? 3 best actor Oscar wins and a couple of (unsuccessful) nominations for the award too. De Caprio deserves a shout too, along with others like Fassbender, Hoffman, Bridges, Penn and Pitt.

alexpop and Slack Babbath like this.
  21. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

Totally get it. It is a heart breaking performance by Helen. I saw similar in Claire Foy's take as a young Elizabeth. Tough gig being the Queen.

stewedandkeefed likes this.
  22. alexpop

This.
    But ..love both shows /actors.

23. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

She told an amusing story. There were all the Corgies for the film and people were wondering if they'd behave. She was in costume and makeup and walked up to the corgies, all sitting there and panting with anticipation, and looked down and said "well, come on, then." They got up as one and followed her, no stragglers. People on set were speechless.

carrick doone likes this.
  24. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

No one else has YouTube highlights like this:

jlocke08 and alexpop like this.
  25. mr. steak

mr. steak Forum Resident

Except Pirate Radio. PSH was not that great in it and it never got above utter crap as a movie.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.