2019 Beatles UK Singles boxed set (Was: "Beatles Mystery Boxed Set")*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Monasmee, Jun 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I agree with @paolo

paolo likes this.
  2. let him run...

let him run... Senior Member

I knew that Macca bought up the publishing for all sorts of catalogs, Buddy Holly being one, also a ton of Broadway musicals as well.
    I didn't realize MPL bought up so many songs the Beatles covered.
    So...if I look at a recent edition of Twist & Shout is it going to show a MPL publishing credit?

3. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

I have that set too. So, I'm going to evaluate this based on whether the new set is remastered AAA, and whether the correct original single master tapes are used as sources. (I believe the wrong master tape or a fold-down was used for the All You Need is Love/Baby You're a Rich Man single as reissued in the 1976 set; not sure about the 80s blue box of singles.) If so, it's within the realm of possibility that a new mastering might be superior. Some people have expressed the opinion that the recent mono box of LPs (which was an all-analog job) surpassed the original Parlophone mono pressings. I don't know this from personal experience - I have a stereo blue box of LPs pressed in the 1980s and a Japanese mono box set of LPs from 1982 for comparison. What I would really like to see is a set of AAA remastered singles (plus the Long Tall Sally EP) for 12-inch 45 rpm vinyl format. I would buy that without hesitation, and at a premium price, too.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
  4. Adamjames

Adamjames Forum Resident

I’d love to get this set but if it’s only on vinyl and there is no CD singles box set I’ll pass as I can’t see me playing the vinyls

5. culabula

culabula Unread author.

How about The Beatles - Past Masters Volumes One & Two ?

6. Curiosity

Curiosity Just A Boy

All editions on vinyl including the worse sounding from cd original from October 1988 were derived from digitally sourced vinyl. As much as I like my 2012 vinyl reissue, the material on Mono Masters on vinyl is clearly superior sounding for coming straight from analogue tape.

7. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Oh agreed, there’s nothing quite like Mono Masters. That said, I didn’t find the original issue of Past Masters on vinyl anywhere near as bad as the 2012.

But, while I think I’ve misunderstood your original wish, why not be satisfied with the excellent Mono Masters ?

Man at C&A and Curiosity like this.
  8. jamiesjamies

jamiesjamies Forum Resident

Apologies for veering off topic. But, I haven’t heard the 2012 vinyl. What does anyone think the chances are of an AAA/flipbacked sleeved Stereo box somewhere down the line?

9. vegard martinsen

vegard martinsen Forum Resident

I also bought this (and I also bought the EP-box released at the same time). I will not but this new set.:edthumbs:

10. Exotiki

Exotiki The Future Ain’t What It Use To Be

Very likely. We will probably have to wait quite a while though possibly well after 2027

jamiesjamies likes this.
  11. jamiesjamies

It would make for a beautiful companion set to the monos!

12. Exotiki

Exotiki The Future Ain’t What It Use To Be

It would but we have to wait until these remixes pass

jamiesjamies likes this.
  13. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Slim, I’d imagine.

Man at C&A likes this.
  14. jamiesjamies

Because of potential damage to the fragile tapes are you thinking?

15. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

How do you know ?

16. culabula

culabula Unread author.

That’s one reason. Secondly, they’ve showed no willingness to do this and are quite content to flog the © Digital Remasters 2009.

But ... all I can do is imagine that this will remain the case. I don’t know.

jamiesjamies likes this.
  17. paulmccartneyistheman

paulmccartneyistheman Forum Resident

Pardon my ignorance, what does that have to do with an AAA pressing?

jamiesjamies likes this.
  18. jamiesjamies

Sorry, I’m no expert! I was under the assumption that AAA would mean going back to the original tapes which could cause damage whereas the safer option was the digital files?

paulmccartneyistheman likes this.
  19. paulmccartneyistheman

paulmccartneyistheman Forum Resident

Don’t be sorry, I honestly don’t know either and would love someone to fill me in. It’s pretty interesting.

Having that sound/files already stored to another media I assume would defeat the purpose of AAA as anything else would be 2nd generation.

jamiesjamies likes this.
  20. jamiesjamies

Yes. I agree. I Think it was partly people’s reaction to the 2012 stereos that led to the AAA Monos. It will be interesting to see which path Apple take with this box, whether they go all analog or use the digital files.

paulmccartneyistheman likes this.
  21. Because the simplest explanation is invariably the correct one. This conspiracy theory is complicated and extremely improbable. Plus, to minimize Lennon’s contributions in favor of McCartney’s would have involved approval from Yoko Ono and Lennon’s estate as they hold 1/4th of the votes on the Beatles’ board. I seriously doubt they would have given their approval to such a remastering. Plus, actually listening to the remasters reveals that Paul’s playing is not given greater prominence over Lennon’s.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
  22. The original tapes are in good shape and there have been no reports of oxide shedding. The story about the 2009 transfers is that the 2-track tape heads were cleaned after every play of the masters to remove dust, not magnetic tape particles.

jamiesjamies likes this.
  23. Jimmy Cooper

Jimmy Cooper Forum Resident

Any news about the box?

marklamb likes this.
  24. mihu

mihu Forum Resident

I'm short on money at the moment, but an AAA singles box with quality mastering like the 2014 mono box would be hard to resist!

supermd and jamiesjamies like this.
  25. mne563

mne563 Senior Member

That would be incredible. The mono box was done right; replicating covers and labels would be a must.

I couldn't care less about reproduced picture sleeves from around the world but replicas of original factory sleeves would be cool.

The only reason for not doing this AAA would be if the master tapes are worn out. However, I seem to remember they used digital copies of the single masters for the Mono Masters album; maybe they'll use those digital copies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.