Carnival Row - Amazon Prime Video Series

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by GodShifter, Sep 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member Thread Starter

Is anyone else watching this? I've caught about three episodes and I'm kind of liking it. It has almost has a steampunk vibe to it, but it's set on another planet where there are faeries and other semi-human creatures who are living an uncomfortable existence in a Victorian age like city.

A good cast with Orlando Bloom, Jared Harris, and Indira Varma along with Clara Delevingne. Apparently Guillermo del Toro was attached to it for a bit, but that fell through. This isn't exactly my cup of tea in terms of genre, but it's been pretty interesting so far.

Dignan2000 and Invader Zim like this.
  2. GodShifter

Not one person has watched this?

Your loss.

Invader Zim likes this.
  3. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

I tried the first episode but it was just too bleak for me. I might wait until the entire thing has aired and look at opinions then.

4. GodShifter

The entire thread thing has aired. Every episode is available on Amazon Video.

malcolm reynolds likes this.
  5. Invader Zim

Invader Zim A Progressive Blues Experiment

My wife and I finished the season last night. We loved it. The narrative is predictable in places, but there are also plenty of surprises. The world building / design is fantastic, the characters are interesting, the acting is top notch across the board, and clearly no expense was spared on the visual effects. We are looking forward to the already announced season 2.

6. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

I am planning on watching this. It’s a busy time just keeping up with all good weekly shows currently on. Not at all a genre I normally watch but I’ll watch it because Amazon has had mostly very good shows this year:
    Too Old Too Die Young
    The Boys
    Bosch
    The Widow
    Sneaky Pete

Kiko1974 likes this.
  7. Dignan2000

Dignan2000 Forum Resident

Watched just the first episode so far, but really enjoyed it. Faeries wear boots!

GodShifter and R. Cat Conrad like this.
  8. Alan G.

Alan G. Forum Resident

Watched the first two episodes and really liked it. Picked out at least two actors from Outlander and some of the sets almost look like they were from Penny Dreadful. Two other series I enjoy(ed).

9. R. Cat Conrad

R. Cat Conrad Almost Famous

Great series. Excellent acting and story pacing that never felt padded or rushed. There's plenty of room for story development and the first season concluded without the kind of aggravating cliffhanger that defies resolution.

My best description of the series ...without any spoilers... would be an adult fantasy (or faery tale) set in an alternative late 19th century world. Looking forward to a second season! :righton:

:cheers:
    Cat

marmalade166 likes this.
  10. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

I have not watched it as the two leads I really don't like that much. But as you are so enthusiastic I will give it a go!

11. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I'm not a fan of the two leads either, but I thoroughly enjoyed the whole season and even kind of liked them in it although why she went with an Irish accent is beyond me. I'm really looking forward to Season two.

Jim B. and marmalade166 like this.
  12. GodShifter

I wasn't overly enthusiastic. I said it was interesting and worthwhile. I think Orlando Bloom does a good job in this. I had never heard of (or seen) the female actress. It appears she's also a model. The sets in this are pretty fantastic. They must have spent a fortune on this series.

Jim B. likes this.
  13. GreenDrazi

GreenDrazi Truth is beauty

Because her character is “Pix” and to the Brits, Irish = Fae. :D

14. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

She was in Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets but wasn't very good and she had zero chemistry with the male lead which kind of ruined what could have been a decent film.

She was even worse in Suicide Squad but I don't know who takes the blame for that pile of poo.

She was a pretty famous model before she tried her hand at acting.

GodShifter likes this.
  15. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

A shame nobody told all the other actors they should be Irish then.;)

16. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

Watched the first episode and thought it was somewhat boring, feels like "been there, done that" with respect to the overall theme. Not sure if I will watch some more.

17. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

I've seen the commercial a time or two. So I'm aware of the show. I can take a look. It has to be better than some of the other crap I watch.

GodShifter likes this.
  18. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

I really enjoyed the show, it's steampunk atmosphere and the fantastical elements - and have no problem with any of the acting. Looking forward to the next season for sure!

GodShifter likes this.
  19. Joker to the thief

Joker to the thief Forum Resident

shame no-one told her accent either :biglaugh:all over the shop.

Dubmart likes this.
  20. Calibabe712

Calibabe712 Active Member

I finished watching the series last night and really liked it. Didn’t know what to expect from Cara Deleveine and I actually thought she was not too bad in playing the part she did. Also liked seeing Andrew Gower who was in Outlander S2. I hope S2 of Carnival Row is as good as S1 has been.

GodShifter and marmalade166 like this.
  21. Ed Hughes

Ed Hughes Senior Member

Watched season 1 over Labor Day weekend. I really liked it.

GodShifter likes this.
  22. GreenDrazi

GreenDrazi Truth is beauty

I’m about halfway through and I’m enjoying it. The sets are gorgeous.

marmalade166 and GodShifter like this.
  23. I watched The Boys and I liked it a lot but Sci Fi and Fantasy are some of my favourite genres. Two days ago I had nothing to see on TV and despite not being one of my favourite genres (or so it looked) I started watching The Widow and now I'm hooked to it. Pretty good show, great performances, Kate Beckinsale is an underated actress and the story is growing on me.

Tokyo Ghost, GodShifter and Brenald79 like this.
  24. GodShifter

I liked The Widow as well.

Tokyo Ghost and Kiko1974 like this.
  25. Witchy Woman

Witchy Woman Forum Resident

I confess I knew little about this when I started watching. I thought it was going to be about actual carnies, LOL. So far it’s held my interest with the mysterious danger lurking underneath amid all the class conflicts and power struggles. I still have a few episodes to go.

GodShifter and marmalade166 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.