New Springsteen Album "Western Stars" June 14*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by FingerPickin'Triumph, Apr 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I'm sure Broadway will be available elsewhere at some point. I don't know if the Netflix deal is one that expires after a certain amount of time, or if it just means Netflix has the exclusive rights for a year or two and will remain on their service, but Bruce can release it other ways. Although honestly, I can't imagine the blu-ray having much better quality than the Netflix stream, which was really nice and had great sound.

I'm willing to bet many, many more people saw the broadway film than would have had it only been a blu-ray/DVD release. I had friends posting about it on social media who watched it and loved it, who would've never bothered to see it (probably wouldn't have even known it existed) had it only been a physical media release.

I don't know about this new one...I think it's going to be a much more low-key affair, with a much narrower target audience, but I predict it will have a more traditional cycle....they'll do a few special screenings and then release it as a general home video release like any other movie.

2. mhvbear

mhvbear Senior Member

'Western Stars' will probably be on HBO Max, Warner Brothers upcoming streaming service.Warner Brothers is probably giving it a more traditional release then Netflix would have given him.

OptimisticGoat and The MEZ like this.
  3. FingerPickin'Triumph

FingerPickin'Triumph Forum Resident Thread Starter

Excited to hear the record live... and how he may change things.. curious how There Goes My Miracle will sound given lots of people thinking there was some studio touch ups to his vocals..

DavidD and The MEZ like this.
  4. If this is going to have a DVD/Blu-Ray release it would have to be Sony rather than Warner Bros wouldn’t it?

5. windfall

windfall Senior Member

Does anyone know if that J-200 so heavily featured in promo for the album and now in the film is a special Springsteen edition? I guess if it were Gibson would be capitalizing on it. Nice looking axe though.

6. windfall

windfall Senior Member

7. robcar

robcar Forum Resident

I'll wait to see the WS movie when it comes out on Blu-Ray.

Jimmy B. and OptimisticGoat like this.
  8. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

That and “ Sundown.”

DavidD likes this.
  9. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

I don't know if it has been mentioned in the last 100 or so pages, but I just opened and cleaned the vinyl copy I got recently. I noticed that in addition to being mastered by Bob Ludwig (digitally at Gateway Mastering in Portland, ME), it was cut to vinyl by Chris Bellman. It sounds excellent.

It seems that there are at least two other vinyl versions out there - on deep blue vinyl, and sky blue with white clouds vinyl.

By the way, I don't know if anyone has noticed, but there's artwork on the insides of the outer jacket sleeves.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
    OptimisticGoat, DavidD and HarvG like this.
  10. HarvG

HarvG Senior Member

Yeah - had seen that!

11. windfall

windfall Senior Member

report on the Western Stars movie
    Backstreets.com: Springsteen News

"The older you get, the heavier the baggage that you haven't sorted through".

Damn, hitting 70, he can still nail the human experience.

OptimisticGoat, JoeF. and DavidD like this.
  12. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

Not 70 for awhile yet, but I hear what he's saying.

windfall likes this.
  13. Torontotom

Torontotom Forum Resident

Saw Western Stars at the Toronto International Film Festival. Beautiful, beautiful film.

14. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

How were the live performances?

15. Torontotom

Fantastic. I really liked the addition of the orchestra. The performances of the title track, Stones and Moonlight Motel were my personal favourites.

It's a very intimate film. Sure the structure is nothing new - Springsteen musing on topics such as life and love over images of desert land and old images of himself, interspersed with performances - but Springsteen draws you in through is narration and, of course, performances.

I admit I saw it on Friday morning, I was tired and for some inexplicable reason, also a bit emotional. Also, I kept thinking of Bowie, George Michael and Prince, and it made me appreciate Western Stars that much more. To see Bruce up on the screen, still making great music and still at the top of his game performing as he approaches 70, just made it even more special.

It screened the morning after the premiere so many of us thought Bruce would be there. Alas, he wasn't but it was worth it for the film alone.

I recommend seeing it on the big screen. It's a gorgeous looking movie. There are many striking images (which I won't spoil, of course).

Mfj55, DavidD, JoeF. and 2 others like this.
  16. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

How is his voice on songs like "Sundown' and "There Goes My Miracle?"

DavidD likes this.
  17. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

I was thinking the same, but it sounds like some of the early showings will have extra material showcasing unreleased and archival material. That has me intrigued. Zimny showed some Bottom Line '75 footage earlier this year so if it's something like that, that may get me into the theater.

Bruce Springsteen Documentary ‘Western Stars’ Set for Early Opening

budwhite likes this.
  18. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

I'm wondering if there are out-takes from Western Stars. Given the fact that there was no deluxe edition of the album released--unlike his past few studio albums--leads me to believe there will be at some point, perhaps a CD/Blu-ray package.

19. Torontotom

I thought he sounded fine. His narration voice really adds to the film. The gravelly voice emphasizes the themes he is exploring on the album.

20. Jesus Jeronimo

Jesus Jeronimo Forum Resident

Are the songs complete or is there some kind of voice over passages?

I am hoping for the first!

J

JoeF. likes this.
  21. mikeja75

mikeja75 Forum Resident

Not sure, but a soundtrack for the movie is coming as well...

Jesus Jeronimo and JoeF. like this.
  22. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

Is that confirmed?

JoeF. likes this.
  23. mikeja75

mikeja75 Forum Resident

HarvG, OptimisticGoat and Dok like this.
  24. Torontotom

I fully admit I haven't listened to the original album. I wanted to experience the album through the film.

The structure is voiceover-song-voiceover-song and so on.

Admittedly, I loved the music but I could also listen to Springsteen talk for two hours. He's a great narrator (musically and spoken word).

And I also loved that Jimmy Webb and Glen Campbell - both together and solo - hangs over this film as a strong influence

25. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

"There Goes My Miracle" is a beautiful song, and has an expectedly great vocal, not usual for Springsteen. That's not to say that he isn't a good vocalist, it's just that the crooning style that I hadn't heard before, and I'd like to see him do more of.

Dok likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.