Vinyl grading: am I being picky?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Mister President, Aug 31, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Bingo, take a prize from the top shelf!

2. SwollenGoat

SwollenGoat Forum Resident

I think there’s a big difference between a scratch (which is always audible and possibly skip inducing) and surface markings that don’t affect playback. I guess if you’re into pristine LOOKING vinyl it would be an issue, personally I don’t care if it looks like crap as long as it plays well.

3. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

If you buy any vinyl graded VGg+ or VG...
    You get what you get, and you can’t throw a fit.
    (my wife uses that on me occasionally :cry:)

Stick with NM vinyl
    NM, EXC, or VG+ on the sleeve

Slick Willie likes this.
  4. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

what was the album?

5. contium

contium Forum Resident

If it has been play graded, it can't be mint. Mint grade from Dicogs:

"Absolutely perfect in every way. Certainly never been played, possibly even still sealed. Should be used sparingly as a grade, if at all. "

6. Mumdad

Mumdad Forum Resident

You'd think, but in my experience thinking that way puts us in the minority!

Generally speaking, sellers who list things in multiple places (eBay, Musicstack etc.) tend to bump their EX gradings up to NM on Discogs.

Unless whatever they're selling is priced well enough that I'd be happy with paying what they're asking for a VG+ copy I'll give those sellers a miss because by doing that they've basically given away that they're in the habit of overgrading.

7. Musical Chairs

Musical Chairs Forum Resident

Right. I guess the point I was trying to make is that given the finnicky nature of vinyl, you do not truly know the condition of an unplayed record. It is mint only in the sense that it has zero wear. But a played record can't ever be mint. The Discogs grading description reflects this skepticism of mint records too.

8. Mezzer

Mezzer Forum Resident

I've sold on both and if I grade Ex on ebay, I grade VG+ on Discogs. It certainly seems more sensible than re-grading to NM surely.

Mumdad likes this.
  9. DaveyF

DaveyF Forum Resident

This thread is somewhat timely. I just received a Tone Poet in the mail that was supposedly only played once and then for 'demo' purposes...whatever that is. Anyhow, I got a fair price for the record and was looking forward to playing it. Unfortunately, when I opened the mailer and inspected the record the following was obvious. Three large stickers/labels attached to the outer sleeve, one of those in the middle...and these are the kind that would most likely damage the sleeve if removed, fingerprints on both sides of the record, a deep scratch over an entire track on side 2 and a smaller but still deep scratch from the run in up to about half way through the first track on side 1 and grime and other markings across both sides of the LP. Luckily, I bought this with return privileges and am now doing so. Seller was fine with a refund.
    Now in my opinion this record would have graded as VG...at best. How a recently released album gets this kind of wear in its short life is beyond me, but there we have it.

Mister President likes this.
  10. Mister President

Mister President Forum Resident Thread Starter

"...only played once"...with a knife. :D

Some grading I've seen has been crazy..."acceptable". What on earth does that mean!!!???

Uglyversal likes this.
  11. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

Almost as good as "condition is used".

12. Uglyversal

It seems some sellers don't see NM the way I do. I now only buy records with good close up photos.

I won't trust descriptions anymore, except as complimentary information to the photos. There are too many liers and people who have no clue of what a record in good condition is meant to look like.

13. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

If it’s inaudible, as I said.

lazydawg58 and SwollenGoat like this.
  14. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Mint means still sealed, or at least never been played.

15. Mister President

Mister President Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've decided not to buy used online anymore if not sealed, I just can't be bothered to go through the pain. Saying that, record shops aren't much help, some in London don't have listening players you can use (why not?)...one in particular I'd say half it's stock in G+/VG at best...someone must be buying it as they're still in business.

LivingForever and DaveyF like this.
  16. hobbes4444

hobbes4444 Forum Addict

If listed as VG+ with no explanation, then anything over $20 I ask for the reason for the grade or pass. VG+ is so broad. I've received flawless VG+ and beat up as well.

17. DaveyF

DaveyF Forum Resident

To answer your OP question...are you being picky? Personally, I don't think so. If a LP is not at least in the condition that is being described, I believe you have every reason to be dissatisfied...and request a return. IMHO.

18. hobbes4444

hobbes4444 Forum Addict

I was quite surprised at my last two trips to London how much shops in Soho were asking for vinyl that was a step or two above trashed. Same here with a large Boston independent chain. I've found some gems in the Boston area, GK mastered Tommy NM for $15, but more often I check a classic LP that's priced at $30 that I would pass in the $1 bin. I don't know who buys this stuff. But a lot of it sits

DaveyF likes this.
  19. Uglyversal

I can
    I can't win, most pressings I want are from other countries and with the absurd postage costs basically means that every time I get a dud I need to eat the loss as returning records is out question. That's the reason I am very careful when buying, it is not just the nuisance. Another thing I no longer do is to buy from people who are not exclusively vinyl sellers with good ratings.

20. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Yet you'll miss the early masterings.

21. All Down The Line

Acceptable to the seller.

Mister President likes this.
  22. All Down The Line

Translation: Ab(used)

lazydawg58 and Uglyversal like this.
  23. All Down The Line

Not for me.

24. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

So, if a record plays perfectly, no pops or clicks, but has this long scratch on it, what would you rate it?

25. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

So if I'm reading some of these posts correctly, many here are expecting to purchase 20 -50 year old vinyl rated vg + condition that not only plays good but looks pretty.
    And I presume at an attractive price.
    Well now...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.