Counterfeit CDs

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by rick harper, Aug 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

The thing is, does Amazon care? They have their "return anything you don't want" customer service to keep people happy (which, admittedly, is a fantastic resource), but they don't sell bootlegs directly (as in, "Sold by Amazon.com"), and the third-party sellers who they act as a distributor for undoubtedly sign contracts that waive Amazon's responsibility in the legal procedures and stuff. "By clicking Confirm, I agree that if I sell bootleg crap, Amazon will not be legally penalized for it."

Yes, it would be great if Amazon could/would hire people to do this. But they have nothing to lose besides perhaps a handful of fulfillment sellers or whatever they're called ("Prime Partners" or whatever). Amazon is not content with having the amount of money it does; it wants more, more, more! They're not going to hire people to test for stuff that their legal paperwork says they're not responsible for in the first place. They take their cut of bootleg BS, having waived all involvement in it, and if someone comes after them, it's nothing for them to just give up the $10 cut they took from that $40 Pink Floyd box set just to keep people satisfied.

2. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

I have an issue with the on demand CD-Rs too but to be fair they do disclose it - usually under the picture and price boxes and in tinier font. Have almost been duped a few times. “Imagine my luck that hard to find Elvin Jones Blue Note cd is available for $15!” Oops, “Note: this title is manufactured on demand when ordered from Amazon.com”

3. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

I tend not to buy from third party sellers on Amazon. I think there are more protections for buyers on eBay and it’s usually the same sellers. Amazon seems to have a problem with counterfeiting in general. There was an article in this week’s New York Times about how counterfeit books proliferate on eBay.

Paging Big Brother: In Amazon’s Bookstore, Orwell Gets a Rewrite

Matthew Tate likes this.
  4. Whoopycat

Whoopycat Forum Resident

More alarming, the article states 11% of CD's shipped by Amazon itself are counterfeit.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  5. InStepWithTheStars

They're phasing out that note, it seems. You happened to get lucky and see it. I didn't see it when I thought I finally found the Lakeshore Killing Them Softly soundtrack. I paid $22 for a worthless ripoff clone CD-R - $22 that I could have saved and put toward the genuine article. Bastards.

I haven't used Amazon in years because I just disliked the interface, found it hard to navigate. I didn't care about the "big evil corporation" thing. But after seeing **** like this, I'm glad I stopped supporting them and I won't be back. I'll stick to Discogs, where the prices are better and I know I'm not getting a cobbled-together knockoff.

Dave and Dan Steele like this.
  6. mesfen

mesfen Senior Member

Karma! Goddamnit! See what happens when you pitch a lot of honest sellers out with the bath water.

Matthew Tate and melstapler like this.
  7. Joseph.McClure

Joseph.McClure Forum Resident

I haven't bought from Amazon since they purged all the small sellers.

8. InStepWithTheStars

I say you throw out the whole tub, then there won't be any problems at all! :D

Matthew Tate likes this.
  9. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Yeah, that purge, combined with the death of GoHastings, very quickly raised the base price of cheap CDs by several dollars on the Web.

That purge got done because the major labels wanted it.

PhantomStranger likes this.
  10. Many fine used CD sellers got kicked off Amazon Marketplace in that purge, right as shops like Half.com and other cheap used CD vendors went offline. The major labels got their way and helped to gut the remaining used CD marketplace.

11. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Can't say I really noticed. If anything, used CD prices are getting lower.

12. Joseph.McClure

Joseph.McClure Forum Resident

Not on Amazon.

13. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

Has me nervous. Thinking of pulling the trigger on the Tommy box set from a few years ago (Yes, I know I am late to the party).
    Amazon listing says "fulfilled by Amazon" however, it is not in stock and states Oct availability.

Should I be scared? This box is not cheap.

14. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

Has anyone in this thread provided a verifiable way to know if any CD's they're buying on Amazon is or is not a counterfeit? And has anyone shown a difference in the sound quality because it's a counterfeit?

I'ld like to know myself because I certainly would rather buy from a reputable seller without having do all this refund foot work if I even suspect it's counterfeit. My advice is if it bothers you that it might be a counterfeit then contact the seller and express your concerns that if it turns out that you have proof it's a counterfeit you'll demand your money back and give the seller a bad rating.

Can't think of any other solution. Good luck with your expensive purchase.

15. I'd say proceed without worry. Something like the Tommy box usually hasn't been counterfeited. The Chinese operations have largely kept away from counterfeiting large sets that contained a variety of formats, especially ones that included Blu-rays and things like deluxe hardcovers. They tend to focus on CD-only sets with less lavish physical extras.

People don't realize that Pink Floyd included things like marbles and scarves in the Immersion because it added to the complexity of counterfeiting those sets.

16. zen archer

zen archer Forum Resident

Believe it or not I have had my best year of selling on Amazon. Now granted I am not making a ton of money. But I have been able to unload a lot of cd's for decent money.

17. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

I found their fees to be high for modest items.

18. zen archer

zen archer Forum Resident

This is true. I don't mind so much, as most stuff I sell is on the high end when it comes to price. Lot of film scores, most which have gone oop.

19. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

No way. I buy tons on Ebay and Amazon, and almost never encounter a counterfeit, and I know them. Maybe they are higher for general release items that all the lemmings buy?

Now, box sets from China that have ridiculously low prices, well ya, I can see that those would be fakes. But really, how many people are out there buying Bowie Re:1 box sets now anyway?

20. rick harper

rick harper Forum Resident Thread Starter

woah! i was just passing on info I got from ASCAP...

21. rick harper

rick harper Forum Resident Thread Starter

I started this thread. I read from ASCAP I think this story. What they really should have mentioned but didn't, was these out of copyright things from Europe are not counterfeits. No, they're out of copyright over there. LEGAL. They are shipped here LEGALLY. And they didn't ever say WHICH boxsets [perhaps they should define 'box set'] they ordered that were 100% counterfeit. I don't believe a damned thing the Music Biz says. It isn't rocket science. It's the SFS (Stephen Foster Syndrome); don't pay the artists/writers.

Lost In The Flood and tmtomh like this.
  22. Francophile50

Francophile50 The man with the satisfied ear.

I wonder how true is this today?

23. Floyd47

Floyd47 Forum Resident

I figured out today I most likely purchased a counterfeit CD on EBay. It just so happens I purchased it 180 days ago. The seller is still registered on EBay and is still selling copies of the same (likely counterfeit) CD that I purchased.

Anything I can do to get a refund after this long? If 180 days is a deadline for anything, today is my last day...

24. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

File a claim via PayPal. Only recourse so I would get that filed asap. eBay can't help you at this point.

You can try reporting the other ones on eBay as counterfeit. Likely will result in nothing happening but worth a shot if you have the time. But definitely file a claim today via PayPal

Floyd47 likes this.
  25. Floyd47

Floyd47 Forum Resident

Thanks. I filed a claim.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.