Grateful Dead-Pacific Northwest-73-74/19 disc box set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by I333I, Jun 12, 2018.

1. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Do it!

2. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

I trust you have the July '78 box. :agree:

SJR likes this.
  3. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Yes! I've also got the stand-alone Cornell, but not the full May '77 box. If it's still on sale in a couple of weeks I'll grab it!

US Blues likes this.
  4. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

If you have enjoyed Cornell, you will love the whole set, which includes, among other gems, the 5/9/77 Buffalo show (in my opinion, the best in the box set).

5. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

I agree with this post fully. The opening H>S>F on 5/9 is probably my favourite ever

6. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Absolutely marvelous, and the transition from "Comes A Time" to "Sugar Magnolia" is breathtaking. The show is filled with remarkable moments.

7. Grateful Griller

Grateful Griller Forum Resident

And a smokin' Big River...perhaps the smokinest of all time. Always loved the 5/9 Music Never Stopped too...Unfortunately there's a cut in the last solo but it's still one of the best versions...along with 5/7.

Crispy Rob, Ray29, SJR and 2 others like this.
  8. Ray29

Ray29 Forum Resident

I ordered the PNW box during the Rhino July 4th 20% off plus free shipping. $162 all in with the free shipping plus tax. This box is a must. I’m listening to the first show Vancouver 73. Love the rather short 18 minute Playing to close the first set. And then you get Here Comes Sunshine to open the 2nd set. Definitely no regrets picking this up despite a couple scuffed discs. Not sure how many are left, but better to jump on it now while it’s on sale if you are interested.

Crispy Rob, KCWhistle, adamos and 7 others like this.
  9. Taylor16

Taylor16 Forum Resident

I’d even go so far as to say that 73/74 is the PRIMIEST!!!

10. Taylor16

Taylor16 Forum Resident

This box has really grown on me. Amazing how I can’t really pick a favorite show from it- and it’s only because they’re all so good! But that St Paul show is perhaps the most underrated show I’ve come across in an official release.

11. US Blues

Who underrated the St. Paul show? Not on my watch they didn't! Now folks have not spoken much of St. Paul because before this there was no SBD, only mediocre audience recordings. The show just never got any PR, and we all know what too much PR can do for any given shows reputation.

12. Dr. Luther's Assistant

Dr. Luther's Assistant dancing about architecture

That St. Paul show may very well be the star of the box, for me.

Then again, I'm only midway through the second Red Rocks, so I really don't put much stock in my opinion at this point. It may all change, second time through.

Hope this helps... :laugh:

US Blues and budwhite like this.
  13. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

So which is the stand out show from the PNW box?

US Blues likes this.
  14. Taylor16

Taylor16 Forum Resident

Would love to see a poll of this- my vote goes to 6/22/73 (Vancouver)

15. Taylor16

Taylor16 Forum Resident

It just stone-cold hit me as I was listening to it. For some reason, it was the first show of the box I played and I couldn’t believe how good it was. I hadn’t yet really read much on this forum about the show so, to me at least, it’s my “diamond in the rough”.

US Blues likes this.
  16. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I would say 6/22/73. It's one of those special nights in which unexpected things happen.

17. US Blues

As a complete show I'll also go with 22 June 1973. There are certainly sections in each show that dwell in the Realm of the Gods.

18. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

6/22/73 is my favorite too

19. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Don’t overlook the 7/5/78 Omaha show. One of the greatest Estimated>Eyes ever.

Only issue is Sugaree comes in a bit late and although I like Bobby’s odd slide playing, some don’t. First set filled with all kinds of 1978 Grateful Dead energy. Set list looks standard as most 78 set lists, but the band is smoking hot throughout.

Crispy Rob, adamos, trd and 1 other person like this.
  20. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Me too:)

Crispy Rob, SJR, US Blues and 2 others like this.
  21. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

for me, the real magic starts with Bird Song-just amazing.

22. Weir's slide playing had a bizarre beginner's luck charm in 1978, went downhill into the abyss for the next 15 years, somehow bounced back sounding like something akin to competence in 1993.

<how did that happen

Crispy Rob, Billy_Sunday and US Blues like this.
  23. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

6/22/73 has to be the stand-out show in the box. I mean, feel free to disagree, but it oozes their true essence. Take Here Comes Sunshine as an example. I don't even like that tune all that much but this version may be a top 5 all-time performance by them; it's that good.

Crispy Rob, KCWhistle, Ray29 and 4 others like this.
  24. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Cool — 22/06/73 will be the first one I play once my box set arrives. All shows look like they have great set lists. Really looking forward to this arriving!

Archtop and US Blues like this.
  25. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

There are a few clunkers in there, but there are also very deep and prolific veins of gold.