Pink Floyd The Early Years Blu-Ray Issues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Hattipper, Sep 2, 2019.

1. Hattipper

Hattipper Forum Resident Thread Starter

Upon reading a post from another fellow on a Floyd-related thread, I inspected my Blu-ray discs in TEY Box and found all of the discs are bubbling at the edge on the data side. Is anyone else experiencing this issue? My discs all say Optimal Media on the data side by the matrix numbers. So far they still play....

lightbulb likes this.
  2. Dieu

Dieu Forum Resident

Jerry Horne and Hattipper like this.
  3. Hattipper

Exactly what mine look like.

Jerry Horne likes this.
  4. opiumden

opiumden Forum Resident

I'll have to check my box this Friday.
    If this is really happening, we should demand a repress, and a free replacement program that covers everyone who purchased the box, no matter when or where they bought it. I spent almost $500 including shipping for this. This is intolerable.
    At least now they can ditch the 2016 surround mix of Meddle from the blu-ray disc. Hey there, PF records, want a win-win?

Posting this again to follow this thread. I'll be truly outraged if this turns out to be true.

5. Jimijam

Jimijam Forum Resident

Say it ain’t so :yikes: i’ll be breaking them out tomorrow for a check jezzzzzz there’s no end to it

6. Hattipper

Expand Dieu's post above for a photo of what it looks like.

7. Dieu

Dieu Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Jerry Horne likes this.
  8. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

Mine are OK for now. A couple have a ragged look around the very edge. Maybe that will progress to bigger problems.
    Ordered from Amazon Italy, July 2016.

9. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

I just took a quick glance at my TEY blurays - only one had a little bit of a bubble. I pre-ordered the box so I'm assuming I got a set from some of the earliest USA batches. (USA? Can't recall where I ordered from.)

Has this affected playback on any of your blurays? How common is this in the disc manufacturing world? It's unsightly, but if playback isn't affected then I don't care.

I can't say I've ever spent any time looking for this defect, so not sure if it's common on bluray discs.

NunoBento likes this.
  10. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

I'm afraid to look at mine.

I'll check 'em out tomorrow.

Sean, PhoffiFozz, mdekoning and 2 others like this.
  11. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

Ragged look around the edge of a few of mine on a random sample (always looked like that IIRC). I will look at them all tonight. The precious Meddle 5.1 mix has long since been ripped and backed up. I can see why they bundle a DVD in the box now if the Blu Rays only last 10 minutes...

JulesRules, quicksrt and NunoBento like this.
  12. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

One of the scariest things I've ever read in the forum. I'm currently on holidays so it will be a week before I check my beloved TEY set. If this is really a general issue, we need to flood them with emails so that they must do a full replacement program.
    For the premium price we pay for the Pink Floyd products, the least we can expect is quality media. This is inexcusable.

JulesRules, RAZORMADE, Sean and 3 others like this.
  13. bboynexus

bboynexus Forum Resident

I've checked mine and they seem to be okay, but I'll keep a close eye on them.

14. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

The sad fact that a concern for this “bubbling“ is even an issue, on a few discs or most of them, actual or not, affecting playability or not, is really unacceptable considering the elite and expensive cost of the box.

Since a premium price was charged, and paid, why wasn’t the best quality control employed, utilized and delivered?

15. Baidur

Baidur Forum Resident

Seems they haven't learned from previous Blu-Ray quality issues. (DSOTM immersion). Will check the box this week.

Sevoflurane and JediJoker like this.
  16. Adam Pajda

Adam Pajda Forum Resident

Just checked mine and I have exactly the same issue. Oh God...

17. serj

serj Forum Resident

Interesting, if the TLY BR's will be manufactured by the same plant..

18. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

If this turns out to be a widespread issue, then replacements will have to be issued. After all, the DSOTM Immersion was released 2011 and the replacement programme kicked off 2018 IIRC, so the Floyd camp have set a precedent. I’ve long had concerns about the long term stability of BD discs. I’m sure that the slightly ragged edge one or two of my discs have was there from the start and I was able to play the entire set of BDs only a few months ago, but i’ll take a good look at all of them and test them tonight.

First thing I did when I got my replacement DSOTM BD was to take a full backup as an ISO of it and the WYWH BD (which also was replaced due to audio skipping during the 5.1 mix). Looks like I may to have to consider this for a number of my more precious BDs, though in most cases I have ripped surround and stereo mixes and kept multiple backups anyway.

From a practical point of view a lot of the historical video content doesn’t look better in Blu Ray vs. DVD, so while the presence of DVDs with duplicate content has been viewed by some people as an unnecessary way of padding the box set and inflating the price, it at least serves as a useful backup, though clearly the DVDs cannot carry lossless surround audio.

I’m not offering that as an excuse for the producers of the box set to use, as for the price of the box set the quality control has been poor.

Note also there were more than a few authoring errors on the discs as well as these newly emerging issues with the physical stability of the discs.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
  19. pathfinder_79

pathfinder_79 Well-Known Member

Same problem here! Have to find out an Email-Adress from Warner and let them know that there is a general issue with the discs.

Hattipper likes this.
  20. zinan

zinan Forum Resident

A similar problem with two BDs: books of 68 and 69.

Hattipper likes this.
  21. Luisboa

Luisboa Forum Resident

I looked at mine and they seem ok. Dont have a Blu-ray now to try them though.

Who's gonna buy the Later Years after all this BD problems, box after box. This is mind blowing for sets that cost a fortune. I cant believe. :tsk:

First I think we should discover if its a random problem with both box and individual sets and US and EU. As far as I remeber the problem with the DSOTM BD was only in europe.

Well, mine looks ok for now (aparently), they are individual sets and I bought them on Amazon.de

Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
    NunoBento likes this.
  22. JediJoker

JediJoker Audio Engineer/Enthusiast

Yes, if those with affected BDs could share matrices for the discs in question, that would hopefully point in the right direction. (I still need to check mine...)

Hattipper and Luisboa like this.
  23. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

I do not often play the Floyd blu -rays and there are many now with this box and the Immersion boxes. Are they all starting to or have gone wrong? Perhaps it is time Mr Floyd had a good look at the manufacture of his increasingly expensive products. My suspicion is Mr Floyd cares not a bit. Buy the products if you want/can afford to, make copies if you can (my Meddle from the blu -ray is now on a usb and a hard drive) and howl abuse at Mr Floyd if he drives by your house.

24. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

Got my box down off the shelf, first time in almost nine months, blew the dust off, checked the discs they're fine.

Hattipper likes this.
  25. m20gull

m20gull Forum Resident

Checked mine visually (Optimal Media) and one of them looks like the photo. Several of the others show some bronzing and deterioration round the edge. Not checked whether they play yet. Not impressed.

I have the DSOTM Immersion replacement but thought I would check WYWH out of paranoia and it looks similar.

JediJoker likes this.