Your choice for the hardest song to sing at a Karaoke Bar? Mine is "Along Comes Mary."

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Sep 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Almost impossible to sing that sucker, even with the lyrics in front of you.

What song stopped you cold when you tried to actually sing it?

Post video footage if you dare..

CantonJester, unclefred, GPM and 15 others like this.
  2. Steve Mc

Steve Mc Bangles Encyclopedia

Anything.
    And everything.

3. vinylkid58

vinylkid58 Forum Resident

Just the thought of going to a Karaoke Bar stops me cold.;)

jeff

4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

I was in a few bands. It's not hard singing along with a backing track, just ask the Monkees. It's all the people staring at you that can trip you up.

MungoMusic, Wil1972, Sean and 6 others like this.
  5. I was like "I know Zappa" but I did not know every word of "Dinah Moe Hum", and not at that speed.

6. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Sweet as the punch...

That’s about it. I could do a decent back up vocal, but that lead is like doing a tongue twister.

Great song and great live singing there, by an uncommonly fine band.

7. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

"One Week" by the Barenaked Ladies
    "Informer" by Snow

Sean, soarer29 and BluesOvertookMe like this.
  8. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

One of the karaoke bars is Austin has some pretty obscure metal on their playlist. I remember Crimson Glory - Red Sharks being in the catalog. It is hard for mere mortals to hit those notes.

Wounded Land likes this.
  9. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Oh, there are a few of them with that swoop you forgot was coming up until it's too late to fake a call from the hospital..."Steam" from Peter Gabriel comes to mind, but I'm sure there are better candidates.
    One night at a radio convention my Program Director slipped me a song suggestion, with a "C'mon, you can nail this!" pep talk...and I almost fell for it. Wish I could remember which one it was now...

10. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I really wanna do that one sometime, but I know I couldn't get any of my buds to come help, so I need a few weeks to work up to doing it all in one breath in spots....honestly, it's on my 'to-to' list.

11. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

I tried Let’s Get It On. To ill effect. That vocal is way hard.

12. Two Sheds

Two Sheds Sha La La La Lee

Never tried it (or any songs, in fact), but 'On the Beat, Pete' by Madness would be my worst nightmare.

Man at C&A and Peace N. Love like this.
  13. Daniel Khan

Daniel Khan Well-Known Member

I've heard that "Don't stop Believing" by Journey is one of the hardest songs to sing.

RSteven and thxphotog like this.
  14. xilef regnu

xilef regnu Senior Member

In the same vein as "Along Comes Mary", I would nominate "She's Not There". Both of them are pretty breathless...plus the Key is just a wee bit of a strain for me.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
    Cast Iron Shore, BwanaBob and Rojo like this.
  15. tongue-twister challenge: "Grazin' In The Grass" by the Friends of Distinction.

"Trouble Man" is another one of those.

vocal range: there are a lot of those. Some of them are deceptive. Hats off to anyone who can slam-dunk "Witchita Lineman" in the original key, hitting all the high notes. Yeah, sure, try and use falsetto if you have to, even though Glen Campbell didn't. As long as you can manage a credible end result. Pulling off a credible version of "Trouble Man" is easier, imo.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
  16. Malinky

Malinky Almost a Gentleman.

Not particularly a Karaoke song, unless you`re feeling particularly patriotic, but the American national anthem `The Star Spangled Banner` is crazy difficult to sing, and is generally mangled by everyone who tries.
    There are some famous examples from the Superbowl, and other such events.
    But at least it`s not a miserable dirge like the British `God save the Queen`.

17. willy

willy hooga hagga hooga

Done it loads... my attempts at the high notes in 'The Last Waltz' always get a few laughs.

18. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Oh the Psychodramas and the Traumas...

Wil1972 likes this.
  19. Teufelzkerl

Teufelzkerl Forum Resident

Last weekend I did it for the first time... only enough beer got me through it. :D Due to poor selection with duets my sister and I were left with "Time Of My Life", the pure horror. Got better later with PF's "Mother", so choose your singer wisely. :agree:

20. Derek Slazenger

Derek Slazenger Specs, rugs & rock n roll

I imagine 'Rock Island Line' would be tricky after a few gins. Minnie Ripperton's 'Loving You' has the potential to clear any bar, even if it's sung well.

21. YardByrd

YardByrd rock n roll citizen in a hip hop world

I've Been Everywhere by Hank Snow...

22. JackBnimble

JackBnimble Forum Resident

It's the End of the World as We Know It by REM or Get Out of Denver by Bob Seger

parkmebike, Wil1972 and poe_man like this.
  23. WLL

WLL Popery Of Mopery

.Had anyone ever dung the Richard Rodgers and Lorenz Hart song " Way Out West (On West End Avenue) ", from " Babes In Arms " in a karaoke bar? Or any other such " Great American Popular Songbook " song from an old musical that isn't really identified with any stand-alone Dinatra'Fitxgerslx-Bennett type popjazzswing vocalist?

24. hugo.polo

hugo.polo Forum Resident

I’m always too drunk to tell if a song is hard...

MungoMusic and Gaslight like this.
  25. xilef regnu

xilef regnu Senior Member

All things considered, I think this one would be excruciating difficult to perform live for obvious reasons.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.