Albums are dead.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by manco, Jan 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wallpaperman

wallpaperman Forum Resident

I disagree with about 80% of what Modern Dad says (kind of agree with his stance about the second hand CD thing though), but he’s box office. Don’t ever change.

2. Pop_Zeus

Pop_Zeus Forum Resident

Yes. I considered clicking ‘Ignore’ but I’m yet to do it on any forum and his posts are very entertaining, however absurd they are

wallpaperman and DRM like this.
  3. Devin

Devin Time's Up

Unique? How? He still spins Revolver and OK Computer endlessly just like any older fanboy would. Still worships Ariana Grande as if she's the latest greatest thing when she's already old school, having been rendered somewhat irrelevant by Billie Eilish (whom he says is "too esoteric" for him). Thinks he's the only one using Siri, streaming music and making playlists when half the planet (myself included) does the same damn things on a daily basis. Nothing truly unique about Modern Dad at all.

I will say this about him: his shtick was very entertaining at first. But his greatest hits are behind him now. Now it's all filler and no killer. Kind of like so many albums he continually bitches about.

Yes, Modern Dad needs a reboot.

eddiel, Tristero and Pop_Zeus like this.
  4. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

Actually, hasn't he been saying that lots of people are now streaming, thereby rendering physical media on life-support?

schnitzerphilip and Pop_Zeus like this.
  5. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Where's K-Tel when you need it?

Devin likes this.
  6. Devin

Devin Time's Up

Yes he's been saying that too. But a lot of people out there would probably agree with him on that, so how's that unique?

7. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

I never said his arguments/stance was unique, nor did my post concern the concept of his uniqueness. I edited my quote to the specific part of the quoted message to which I was referring.

"Unique" is one of the most inappropriately used and over-used words one will see on a message board. It means one-of-a-kind.

Almost nothing is unique.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
    Devin likes this.
  8. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

It is entertaining confrontational forum baiting. Otherwise, imagine what it would be like to live with him!
    Hahaha.
    :--)

Pop_Zeus likes this.
  9. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

:confused:

I'm not seeing Modern Dad's posts here.

10. wallpaperman

wallpaperman Forum Resident

Modern Dad is ‘schnitzerphilip’, well known lover of playlists and the arch nemesis of the album.

Often refers to himself in the third person as ‘Modern Dad’, which is sometimes a sign of Rickey Henderson like greatness. But only sometimes.

Buddybud, DRM, HfxBob and 2 others like this.
  11. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Wow. I wonder if I could have my own online cult of personality.

Hey, I like albums.

12. Dr. Luther's Assistant

Dr. Luther's Assistant dancing about architecture

:laugh:

13. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

I'm afraid 'Hey, I like albums' doesn't have quite the same audacity and stylistic panache as Modern Dad's rhetoric.

Your concept is good, but your presentation needs a bit of work. :D

bhazen, Pop_Zeus and DRM like this.
  14. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Perhaps Modern Dad 2.0 will crack the riddle.

'A riddle wrapped up in an enigma' - the meaning and origin of this phrase

Devin and Pop_Zeus like this.
  15. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

We can be thankful he's not "royalty" like King James, Queen Bee, or the King Of Pop. Or the Queen Of Soul.

Of course, even royalty isn't royalty.

Pop_Zeus likes this.
  16. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

Me either. On purpose.

17. Damon Arvid

Damon Arvid Well-Known Member

I worked on one album Chasing Sun that is technically deficient but rewarding to listen all the way through. Have since released most items longform on Youtube via fabric - Summon These Days playlist... albums or sketches, not sure, but they cohere. Now working on a second album proper. The concept of manufacture of a physical object seems reserved for years after the recording event, except for legacy artists and those willing to tour relentlessly. Seems that quality and originality are only apparent decades after release. **** the musicians I work with barely understand what I am after. :)

18. Thoughtships

Thoughtships Forum Resident

My albums aren't dead.

Jazzmonkie, Exotiki and Pop_Zeus like this.
  19. Mainline461

Mainline461 Forum Resident

IMO buying individual favorite songs from an album equates to buying individual favorite scenes from a movie; you'll miss out both ways. Great albums have a similar continuity as do a great film.

20. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

For someone who doesn't care what other people do, you spend a lot of time telling people they're choices are wrong and although you don't have the alleged equipment elitism you sort of have an anti-equipment elitism. Never has someone been campaigning so hard to be awarded the Streamer of The Year award.

Tristero, Diamond Dog and Pop_Zeus like this.
  21. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I think this might be thread number three that he's managed to do that in. I recon any thread that might involve streaming is a thread he's looking to conquer. :)

22. Exotiki

Exotiki The Future Ain’t What It Use To Be

Nope. Albums are actually on the rise. At least where I live. We’re sick of instant gratification. We like to sit down and put care and energy.

Pop_Zeus likes this.
  23. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

Good analogy.

24. schnitzerphilip

schnitzerphilip "Modern Dad" Unlocked Award

You've got that backwards. Streamers are the ones under attack and looked down-upon here.

Remember, Streamers didn't kill the Album. Greedy, lazy artists did.

25. TMegginson

TMegginson Forum Resident

"I was just wondering, does this mean the popularity of [these formats] is waning?

"Oh, no, no, no, no, no, no...no, no, not at all. I just think that their appeal is... becoming more selective."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.