FX's "Legion"

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by vince, Feb 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Climax not too hard to follow, satisfying denouement. Rewarded the viewer moreso than confounded them. Nice.

badfinger54, Lonson and misterbozz like this.
  2. fuzzface

fuzzface Forum Resident

Great show. Good ending. Enjoyed every second of all three seasons.

badfinger54, Lonson and notesofachord like this.
  3. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law Thread Starter

Maybe...if I saw a little 'epilogue' that showed the birth of Aubry's character, I woulda liked it more...

4. Dillydipper

Ummm, "Lenny", or "Farouk"...? 'Cause, y'know, that's who she turned out to be, when inside David...

5. vince

Wait!...She was ALSO Farouk????
    I didn't get that!

6. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Me too. My one regret is that this is the end. It ended well.

7. clashcityrocker

clashcityrocker Forum Resident

And they lived happily ever after: a truce with the Shadow King with beers, Switch becomes a Time God, David and Syd restart their new lives, Gabrielle and Charles get to be loving parents.
    Safe and tidy ending for Hawley to end his saga. I have to admit being a little disappointed. I think of the ending of Twin Peaks: The Return where nothing is answered, chaos remains and I am still intrigued and questioning Lynch's ideas and motives. Hawley ends
    with everyone singing kumbaya
    and it's okay but just a little empty.

Kyhl and vince like this.
  8. Lonson

I get that. But.. . I think it could still go south as time goes on, or that's one "hope" I have. I have lingering doubts that add a bit of satisfaction for me.

9. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

I gotta say, if they don't release a Complete Series BluRay box for this I'm gonna be very annoyed. Just the thought of paying $50 for a burn-on-demand DVD-R for only the last eight episodes is getting my blood pressure rising.

10. vince

Another for the 'missed opportunity' dept.:
    If, they had shown him 'grown-up' from this new time-line, to be the 'shrub' version of himself, with the mouse that sang Bryan Ferry songs!

11. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

Goosebumps throughout Mother. Not really sure what has been going on in this show for (frankly for the whole run) but some of the musical moments have been incredible.

marmalade166 likes this.
  12. jpelg

jpelg Forum Resident

Isn't this really about David's psychoses (multiple-personality disorder, god-complex/delusions of grandeur, etc.), and all just takes place inside his head?

Wonderful ride. Best show on broadcast tv in a long time.

Vidiot and vince like this.
  13. mr. steak

mr. steak Forum Resident

Very good ending. Nice sadness to it. The Farouk arc was more interesting to me than David's or Syd's.

The one thing I did not get was the "many" David's. They all seemed exactly same and not different personalities. If they would have been smaller it could have played like Army of Darkness.

14. Dillydipper

That's his interpretation of his identity, "Legion".

15. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

Legion season 1 in HD: Amazon.com: Watch Legion Season 1 | Prime Video ($4.99 for the season)
    Legion season 2 on Amazon streaming in UHD 4k: Amazon.com: Legion Season 2 [Ultra HD] ($34.99 for the whole season.)
    Legon S3 on Amaon in HD: Amazon.com: Legion Season 3 ($199.99 for the whole season.)

So I'll bet we get a streaming only HD box set price of $24.99 when they put them all on sale.

16. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

If you can, definitely watch this show in 4K HDR. It's a whole different experience seeing it this way, very intense. I can't take more than 2 shows a night -- it really packs a wallop. I think we finally wrap it tonight or tomorrow.

jpelg and marmalade166 like this.
  17. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

Are you watching Season 3 in 4k HDR? Where can i watch it like that?

18. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

We are watching it in 4K Dolby Vision via Apple TV. We will finally reach the final episode tonight, and I'm looking forward to it.

19. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

I really think it's only 720P on iTunes - at least checking from my PC. Maybe it's just doing a great job uprezzing and coloring it??

20. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Not so. We're watching from a 1GB connection on a 4K set on an Apple TV 4K unit, and Dolby Vision is only available with UHD (4K) material. Apple TV does a handshake with the connecting device, determines the screen size and aspect ratio, and then comes up with the appropriate bitrate depending on the connection speed available. Anything over 200MB, you should have no problem.

An old pal of mine did all the color-correction on the show over at Encore/Hollywood, and he verified they shot and mastered it all in 4K and everything after that is all a PQ tone-map to HD and SD using the Dolby Vision sidecar metadata. In other words, it all starts off as Dolby Vision, and they down-rez and strip off all the fancy processing if you have a lower-quality device or a lower-speed bitrate.

21. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

I wish they would have ADVERTISED this, the iTunes store shows it to me at 720P.

Not owning an AppleTV at the moment means i won't buy it soon, but if the NEW AppleTV is good (rumored for this year) then I may buy them in this format.

The show looks amazing on cable - but I'll bet it's over the top in 4K HDR.

A 4K box set would be bought IMMEDIATELY.

22. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

On the Apple TV menu on the box, they clearly identify the shows that are in true 4K HDR. My brief review:

Finally found the time to get to the end of Legion, and really enjoyed it a lot. They tied up a lot of the loose ends, and took a very, very complex SF/fantasy story and managed to come up with an ending that made sense... at least as much as possible in this inside-out world. If you can, watch it in 4K Dolby Vision on Apple TV: it's an entirely different experience than watching it in plain, unwashed HD on FX.

Legion ends with a beautifully messy bow wrapped around its entire story

[​IMG]

23. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

24. Lonson

The rap battle. . . .

marmalade166 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.