Sellers cancelling sales. *

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Brian Lux, Sep 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd Thread Starter

Is it just my bad luck or do some of you find yourself making a purchase on-line only to be told, "sorry, item is out of stock", or "sorry, couldn't find it", or "sorry, item no longer available", or, worst of all being given no reason for cancellation of sale. And I wonder, how often do these items magically re-appear on the sellers inventory at a higher price? I guess I'm just ranting a bit, but it sure is getting old.

2. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Does this happen to you here or elsewhere?

Never had it happen to me anyplace anyway!

BTW, subject could use correction. Coming in, it was unclear if "concelling" meant "cancelling" or "concealing"...

3. Brian Lux

I'm smacking myself on the forehead... again. :laugh: Seems no matte how hard I try, I overlook some misspelling or punctuation. I really do try! To lat to edit it, of course, but the word I meant to use is "cancelling". May a kind gort will correct it for me. :cool:

No, that hasn't happened here. Mostly on... ugh, I don't like to bad mouth places... mostly Discogs, once on eBay.

4. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

Gort - please rename the thread to Sellers CANCELLING Sales.

Brian Lux likes this.
  5. Oatsdad

Ya gotta directly IM a gort or report a post to get their attention!

I reported the 1st post just to alert Gorts to the bad title! :)

AaronW, Dave and Brian Lux like this.
  6. Brian Lux

Thank your, Oats! :D

7. Oatsdad

Edit out that "r" in "your", man! :D

Brian Lux likes this.
  8. Brian Lux

[​IMG]
    :crazy: :laugh:

Oatsdad and Dave like this.
  9. Sane Man

Sane Man Forum Resident

Just happened to me a couple weeks ago. Only has happened to me twice but both times it was cancelled without reason and I suspect it's because it was an auction without reserve that sold well below their expectations. Some people stink. No getting around it.

patient_ot likes this.
  10. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

I understand it if it's an actual brick & mortar store (many sell on ebay and Discogs). Sometimes keeping inventory in both places isn't the best thing but I get that there are items stores have that they don't think they would sell to the regular customer. In a way, I think it's nice they don't stash it in the back. I've had it happen a couple times and the only time it bothered me was after trying to purchase Kiss My Amps after Tom Petty died. Obviously, the value of that went up quickly for a little bit so he wouldn't sell it to me. I'm just assuming he wanted to get more out of it.

tmtomh likes this.
  11. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

This has happened to me maybe a couple of times, not often, always on discogs. Over there it's usually a brick and mortar store with a discogs storefront as well, and their store inventory control system (to the extent they have a system at all!) is not linked to their discogs inventory. The more responsible ones sometimes have a delay in updating their discogs inventory so if an item has been sold in their store during the last day or two and you buy it on discogs in that time window, they'll have to tell you it's no longer available. Annoying but not a big deal, and understandable for a small business, as @cwitt1980 says.

The ones that I really don't like are the ones that appear to make no real effort to sync up their stock, and check it only if and when someone places an order on discogs. You can tell who these are by their feedback - they have multiple, sometimes dozens of neutral and negs all for the same issue. IMHO that's highly irresponsible.

On eBay I have seen many "auction was ended because item was no longer available" listings, and I often wonder if that's a situation of the seller getting antsy at the current highest bid being too low as the auction was ending.

patient_ot and Strat-Mangler like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.