Polk LSiM speakers 58% - 67% off..

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by riverrat, Jan 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HugDeez

HugDeez Member

Do you think I should forgo a set of the 702s f/x and purchase another pair of 703s? Currently, $50 difference between the sets. Like I said, I have (4) 702s and one set of 703s. This will likely be the last set of speakers I purchase for HT and want to make sure I get new matching speakers while they are available for a future Atmos receiver/speaker setup. I think the 702s would definitely give the better WAF.

OR

Forget purchasing/substituting 703s and stick with the 5.2.4 setup with 4 702 f/x? I would have front heights and rear height 702s. Would the 702s work great for this application?

Mounting them from the ceiling would put them installed on a 45 deg beam ceiling so I'm not sure if this setup with the 702 design would be better than having them as front and rear heights. Let me know your thoughts!

Research from these sites:
    5 Crucial Tips for Dolby Atmos Setups; 8 Best Demo Scenes

The Ultimate Test: Dolby Atmos vs. Dolby Atmos

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-s...-atmos-speakers-6.html#/topics/2182385?page=9

2. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

Sorry, I'm not able to help with that. A basic 5.1 HT rig is more than enough for me.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  3. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

I notice from that picture that you have them pretty close to the wall. How big is your listening room? Do you have any bass boom at all? If no - is carpeting a factor in that? How do you think they would behave on hardwood floor with no carpet underneath (but with neighbors below). I'm rather tempted by that deal $449 apiece.

4. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

They should be 5 to 6 inches off the back and parallel to it, no toe in.

Benzion likes this.
  5. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Perfect Sound Through Crystal Clear Digital

They are 12" from the rear walls. I am in a small room and I just don't have the free space to let them breathe. From the front of the speakers, I am 13' to the listening position. The speakers are spaced 10' apart. The room is pretty well damped, as there is wall to wall carpeting and on top of that carpet is a very heavy, thick oriental rug, measuring about 15' X 12'. If I had my rathers, I would have the speakers out more from the walls and away from other furniture in the room, alas, my space for the next year or so is limited, and I just have to make the best of the situation. I do have some toe in that facilitates a richer high end. The ports on the Polks fire out the bottom of the speakers and is not as much of a problem as my other speakers that had the port on the rear of the enclosure. :righton:

6. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

Sorry, I thought you were talking about SDA speakers.

7. Litejazz53

I'm honestly not sure what would happen on hardwood with no absorbing materials anywhere in the room, generally speaking they could be a bit boomy. I think you are referring to the LSiM 707, or you could be talking about the 703's, I bought both pair.
    I can't imagine the 707's being sold for $449.00 each, unless they were damaged, and MANY Polk speakers are damaged as their shipping methods leave a whole lot to be desired. When I received mine, everything in the carton that could come loose and break apart did, and honestly, I don't know how those 707's got to me in one piece, I was very LUCKY. If those are new 707's for $449.00 each, undamaged, you have a deal I have never seen, and the last thing on your mind should be how they sound in a room without carpet, BUY them and work on the acoustic treatments when they arrive, that is a spectacular deal on the 707 speakers.:goodie:

SandAndGlass likes this.
  8. Benzion

It's 705's, which is more than enough for my 11 x 13 room. The price is attractive, true. They're in a store in Manhattan, of all places, and the seller states the outside boxes are damaged, but the inside boxes are intact. I have half a mind to drive up, see the units, ask to hear them, and if I like 'em, get them then and there, to avoid further shipping.

The room does have a rug in the middle, but the speakers would be placed by the wall, where there is no carpeting. My listening distance would be something like 7' or 8' away from the speakers, tops.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
    SandAndGlass likes this.
  9. Benzion

You cal that a small room? Your oriental rug alone is bigger than my whole living room. You haven't lived in NYC much, have you?:unhunh:

To be honest with myself, for my rooms I'd probably be better off with bookshelves, but I like towers and "bigger" sound, so I have to do some serious homework before I get a pair of towers into my small rooms.

My PSB's are front-ported, so they work just fine. The Zu's are bottom-ported, they also are fine, but they are somewhat small in comparison to these Polk missile silos. My favorite Wharfedale's are rear-ported, and they're a headache with bass boom, unless positioned at least 2 feet from the wall.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  10. Trabik

Trabik Forum Resident

@Benzion - go hear them, buy them and let us know what you think.

Think of this as doing it for the team. I for one would love to hear your comments on the Polks in comparison to your other speakers!

Benzion likes this.
  11. Litejazz53

Your pricing is beyond GREAT for the Polk 705 speakers, go get in the car and head that way right now, listen and pick them up. They are presently $600.00 each on Amazon and many places are still showing the $1,499.00 price, so $449.00 is really a nice price. I would check with Audorama and see where they are, as they are a major Polk dump company, they have all the discontinued LSiM series speakers, but even there I don't think you will beat the price you are seeing. I can't comment on tax, I did not pay any tax, but then I live in Tennessee.

In answer to your question, I do know about limited space in New York, it's just too small for me, I need to spread out just a little bit, I could not afford New York, but it is nice to look out my patio and see the lake, the ducks, geese and deer everywhere.

Now, get in your car and take that set of speakers off the dealers hands, you will NOT regret it. Bring them back and I will tell you about the super tweeter add that will really make your day! Good luck! :edthumbs:

SandAndGlass and Jimijam like this.
  12. rushed again

rushed again Forum Resident

Polk Audio LSiM705
    Still wish I had room for another pair of these 705’s @ $450 ea.
    It’s free shipping and you’d think shipping alone would cost $100 each considering the weight.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  13. Benzion

I called them today. They do not have the speakers in the store to listen to. They are at the warehouse in NJ, and I'm not allowed to pick up from there, nor to get a listen. So, basically, I have to take a leap of faith on them, which I'm well prepared to do, at this price, anyway.

However, before I do that, I want to try re-arranging my two systems, and moving things around. I want to see how the Wharfedales will sound in my bedroom. If they're boomy, I will have to substitute the front-ported PSB's in there, and look for something else in the living room. Then I will revisit the LSiM question. If the W's sound fine in the bedroom, I will move the Zu's and the PSB's into living room, and combine two systems together, one for acoustic music, the other for electric, which will address another issue I'd described in another thread of mine.

Tomorrow I will know what's what.

Trabik and SandAndGlass like this.
  14. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

The 705's would be workable in your room. The 707's would require a larger room.

The LSiM towers are bottom ported, so you shouldn't have any issues.

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  15. Litejazz53

Just curious to know if the set the dealer has is black or cherry? Larry (SandAndGlasss) sent you a very good picture, and notice these speakers have (2) separate bass ports on the bottom. The bass is so "tight" and controlled!

SandAndGlass likes this.
  16. Benzion

They have black. Not my first choice, but for the price I can live with it.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  17. Litejazz53

QUOTE="Benzion, post: 22035968, member: 66823"]They have black. Not my first choice, but for the price I can live with it.[/QUO[
    Get on over there tomorrow and grab those things while the grabbing is still good! :agree:

SandAndGlass likes this.
  18. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

Not black, midnight mahogany. If you look at them in bright light they have a purple tint, but in dim light they appear almost black.

SandAndGlass and Trabik like this.
  19. Litejazz53

So, what's up with the new Polks???

SandAndGlass likes this.
  20. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

I can't say much until Friday morning when Polk does the official announcement at Rocky Mountain, which will be live streamed. Link below....

I can say the new series is called Legend and there will be 5 new models.

Notify Me

Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
    SandAndGlass likes this.
  21. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

What is that second smaller baffle and rear chamber for? I don't see any drivers associated with it.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  22. SandAndGlass

I wondered about that myself. The only conclusion that I could come to was that perhaps, the bottom subwoofer is ported over to this chamber, but that is not shown in the cutaway view.

Kind of the same way that the driver above it is ported to the front chamber.

Otherwise, the bottom speaker would be in a very small enclosed space, which doesn't really make much sense.

Besides, the rear chamber must be for some driver?

23. Litejazz53

So did I! F1Nut seems to know a good deal about the Polk speakers, hopefully he will answer the question.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  24. Jimijam

Jimijam Forum Resident

It’s definitely the port for the lower driver if you expand that picture it’s a little more obvious.

F1nut likes this.
  25. SandAndGlass

For all practical purposes, the look black, even with the brighter florescent lighting.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.