KISS: The Songs 1974-2012

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodShifter, Feb 7, 2017.

1. SizzleVonSizzleton

SizzleVonSizzleton The Last Yeti

Would you be more interested in meeting him? Getting an autograph? Hearing/seeing him play guitar? Confirming he still can play guitar?

I know you're a big Vinnie fan, does it frustrate you that he doesn't put up a 30 second video of himself shredding?

2. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

I have met him...twice (and a third time in passing.) And I have his autograph on a few items including my Vinnie Vincent jean jacket.
    I'd love to hear him play guitar again, electric, acoustic...anything. The man is a musical genius, even if not in his prime.
    I mean; Ritchie Blackmore is a shell of his former self yet he's out there with Rainbow!

I'd be more interested in talking to him for a couple of minutes and maybe getting to hear some of the unreleased material.

3. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Vinnie Vincent was a force of nature back in the day. If he never picks up a guitar again, I'm grateful for what he's given me.

4. ejluther

ejluther Forum Resident

I think 2 days sounds like overkill but more power to those who go!

5. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

I think they're making it two days just to make it seem less expensive.

SizzleVonSizzleton and ejluther like this.
  6. Rockman67

Rockman67 Forum Resident

All I have to say about Vinnie is he has talent, but I'm not a fan of his playing style. No disrespect, just personal preference.

deeluxdx7, ejluther and carlwm like this.
  7. Rockman67

Rockman67 Forum Resident

Watched the I Love It Loud video today; it's as ridiculous and cheesy
    as I thought it was.

Lonesurf and ejluther like this.
  8. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Rididulous, chessy and brilliant, I reckon!

CoachD, Lonesurf, Rockman67 and 2 others like this.
  9. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

So you get nothing from his playing on Saint & Sinner or A Million To One?

carlwm likes this.
  10. Rockman67

Rockman67 Forum Resident

Exactly

carlwm likes this.
  11. Rockman67

Rockman67 Forum Resident

To clarify, I Don't hate everything he did (in kiss that is, I've yet o listen to his solo material), there is some good stuff in there It's really the moments of high speed runs and wailing vibrato in his lead work that out me off. Again, no disrespect.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
  12. William Smart

William Smart 21st Century Schizoid Man

Everything you've heard or seen about those days is true. Especially up to 75. It was raw full of energy. So FN different. Of the 44 shows I seen 30 were with the original line up, including the 90s return. After RRO & Destroyer it started to get too polished and glitzy, but still great. Yeah wish you were there too.

superstar19, Rockman67 and carlwm like this.
  13. William Smart

William Smart 21st Century Schizoid Man

Don't think I would pay for a meet & greet. Maybe in my youth, but now it holds no interest. I couldn't justify the cost.

14. Rockman67

Rockman67 Forum Resident

Currently Listening through half the entire output, just listening for one guitar lick.

15. Diamond Star Halo

Diamond Star Halo Forum Resident

I don’t find Vinnie’s lead guitar style to be particularly musical. Lots of fast notes, squeals, whammy bar dive bombs - but nothing sticks in my head afterwards.

In other words, the opposite of what Kiss calls for.

Ace all the way, baby!

16. Rockman67

Rockman67 Forum Resident

In his defense, he can do nice, more melodic leads, (there's a compilation of such on youtube, most of it being outside of his work with kiss), he just pulls the shred nonsense way more often than he should.

But I agree on him not quite fitting in, nobody like Ace.

17. ejluther

ejluther Forum Resident

Meaning you forget where/what it was? Let us know when it reveals itself!

And, yet, there are stories of Vinnie being able to play blues-based guitar ala Beck, Page, etc. beautifully but he simply chooses not to because he’d rather play “fast”...why not do both? Weird and sad...

18. Rockman67

Rockman67 Forum Resident

Actually I'm doing so to find all the songs where Ace uses that specific lick, to make a comprehensive list of such songs.

Too true on Vinnie

ejluther likes this.
  19. Rockman67

Rockman67 Forum Resident

Whenever I listen to the section with the female singers (after the "l love it") I always picture Paul in his make up and a suit on a black and white 50s style t.v. program with the female singers backing him up, and then the whole setting somehow turning into a KISS concert when the rest of the band comes back in. Song itsef: it's alright, kinda dumb, but catchy, a guilty pleasure of mine.

20. deeluxdx7

deeluxdx7 Forum Resident

For me, Vinni Poncia and KISS were MAGIC! He's right up there with Ezrin as one of only three guys who properly produced KISS (Vinni, Ezrin...and Neal Bogart...Sorry, but I thin "Dressed to Kill" could be considered the quintessential KISS record, the fact that he wasn't a musician, and came from "Bubble-Gum" pop, really made him an asset, he cut out all B.S, that record is lean, mean and every song is catchy) I only consider Kramer an engineer, and while the first record is a charming piece of Proto-Punk and Hotter than Hell a FASCINATING disaster, that makes the record truly unique and fun, Kerner and Wise were more just THERE on the first one....(Yes, their producing one of the worst sounding major label records in history with "Hell" is historically awesome)

But to me, while Ezrin refined and grew the KISS sound to its apex, Poncia was the guy who set the standard. I maintain Dynasty and Unmasked are what KISS REALLY sounds like, both records were HUGELY influential on "Indie rock" in the 2000s as well as the "Dance-Rock" 80's sound....Billy Idol? Prince? Cyndi Lauper? I believe ALL were VERY aware of those two records.

The bottom was going to fall out due to overexposure, its CRIMINAL that the music gets blamed.

21. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

I agree with that although, personally I'd include Ron Nevison on the list of great KISS producers. Crazy Nights still sounds awesome, I reckon.

22. Rockman67

Rockman67 Forum Resident

As compressed and muddy as HTH sounds, having listened a few times I feel like the sludgy production gives it a cool, eerie vibe, like a creepy lost recording dug up years later. (Not new opinion, but I'm genuinely amazed at how badly it turned out)

CoachD, mark winstanley and ejluther like this.
  23. Rockman67

Rockman67 Forum Resident

Silly question, but does anyone know of any songs anywhere in KISS' discography in something other than a straight 4/4 rhythm or time signature?

24. ejluther

ejluther Forum Resident

I feel like that’s been discussed and, while it’s not my area, I think people talked about the Ezrin albums and Carnival of Souls having different time signatures but I could easily be wrong...

Rockman67 likes this.
  25. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

I know Eric Singer once said that Pete did a bunch of stuff that wasn't in a straight time signature, so he would definitely know!

ejluther and Rockman67 like this.