Fluance RT85 Turntable

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Dinglehead, Jan 3, 2019.

1. brownsugah

brownsugah Forum Resident

I thought I was the only one experiencing that. I always try to clean the needle with a Magic Eraser and use a microfiber cloth and brush to get rid of static or dust. It has helped. The sound quality is still amazing regardless.

PhilBiker likes this.
  2. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

My AT440MLa does this on some records on my Realistic turntable. It did it on more and more records as it aged. Now I almost never use it. Check your setup.

3. popscene

popscene Senior Member

4. nyrjoe

nyrjoe Well-Known Member

Hi, ordered an RT85 today. While I plan to audition the 2mBlue, I intend on using a Nagaoka MP-150. Does anyone know how to set the overhang for the rt85? Coming from a Technics, I would use the Technics overhang gauge, but don't see anything similar from Fluance. The cartridge did not come with one. Anyone know if the S-shaped tone arm on the Fluance is same length as 70's Technics tables? I like to use different carts, want to make sure I get the overhang right for this table. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

5. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

If it’s the same as the previous models, it’s not the same as the Technics gauge. What I would do is, when you get the pre-setup 2M Blue, measure the overhang with digital calipers or some other reliable ruler, and use that as your overhang. That’s what I did to set up a new cartridge for an RT80. This assumes Fluance is having them set up correctly, of course, and you may just need to resort to aligning with a protractor if it doesn’t sound right.

PhilBiker likes this.
  6. chumlie

chumlie Forum Resident

Ordered one Friday. Looking forward to giving it a try. Delivery tomorrow. :righton:

Xander2017 likes this.
  7. SpeedMorris

SpeedMorris Forum Resident

'Twill be interesting to find out if you hear the "loud background hum" reported by Wirecutter. (No one else I've seen has reported that.)

PhilBiker likes this.
  8. Je2000

Je2000 Active Member

Set mine up the other night. No hum. I don't even have it grounded correctly since the cable isn't long enough. It is just grounded from TT to preamp.

Will do side by side comparison with an AT-PL120 with 2M Blue. This is the older non USB version so preamp off switch actually bypasses.

The RT85 manual has a cut-out protractor, but I don't know what type.

Build quality seems nice. The $500 will be offset by selling the AT-PL120 with 2M Blue to someone. It's pretty good really after all the mods and tweaks.

SpeedMorris and PhilBiker like this.
  9. barturtle

barturtle New Member

If it's like my RT82, it's the TT power supply. If I have the power supply plugged in to same outlet or powerstrips with any other components in my system, there is a hum. Currently plugged in to an outlet on another wall, which seems to offer enough isolation.

SpeedMorris and PhilBiker like this.
  10. Dmac43

Dmac43 Forum Resident

And... They're out of stock again!

displayname likes this.
  11. krisjay

krisjay Psychedelic Wave Rider

How does this compare to the Orbit (Plus?). I have an Orbit Plus with a Nagaoka 110, I like it well enough, but I also like DD turntables. I can get the Fluance, or for about double get the MK7 from Technics, hard to justify a 1K purchase right now for my situation. I saw AT now has the 140, but for 100 bucks more, you get a Ortofon Blue on the Fluance, seems almost silly to consider the AT in this market at this time.

12. Dmac43

Dmac43 Forum Resident

I ended up buying an 84 because I'm impatient... I'll upgrade the platter down the road.... Supposed to be here in 5 days.... probably 10 due to the dang storms...

13. nyrjoe

nyrjoe Well-Known Member

Anyone have a recommendation on good aftermarket RCA cables for the Fluance? The ones that came with the Turntable seems fine, but always looking for that extra bit of sound improvement...

latheofheaven likes this.
  14. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

If you want cheap (and I think you do for a turntable at this price point), I use a pair of SVS Soundpath interconnect/subwoofer cables, less than $50 for a 1 meter pair. Very low capacitance, good shielding, solid build. A lot of people also like Blue Jeans Cables interconnects, which are about the same price and as far as I can tell basically the same thing, just different connectors and outer jacket.

15. SpeedMorris

SpeedMorris Forum Resident

Wasn't the 84 initially fitted with acrylic platter and 2M Red?

16. bluenosens

bluenosens Forum Resident

You might try Audio Sensibility audio cables from Toronto. They are very well made. Also, Zu Audio makes some nice ones, so I've read. The Audio Sensibility so would be a bargain with the exchange. Good luck. I use AS cabling in my system but have the original British cabling on the Roksan Xerxes. Good luck.

17. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Yes. They apparently traded the acrylic platter for the 2M Blue on that model at some point.

18. nyrjoe

nyrjoe Well-Known Member

Thanks all, have Audio Sensibility cables on the way. On another topic, I've been using a Nagaoka MP-150 with the Fluance. I'd hope to eventually upgrade to the MP-300. The MP-300 weighs in at 8gr. The Fluance specs say it will support cartridges up to 7.5. I'm really not sure, but I'm thinking since it falls just outside the range it may work ok? Appreciate any input on that.

19. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I would think you could make up the difference with a lighter headshell.

20. Dmac43

Dmac43 Forum Resident

I believe they have a heavier counter weight for sale..

21. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I think the models with the 2M carts already come with the heavier counterweight.

22. Dmac43

Dmac43 Forum Resident

Woohoo the Rt85s are back in stock... ordered one, sending back the 84

displayname, Xander2017 and Big Blue like this.
  23. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I would think the acrylic platter has to be better than the hollow aluminum, should be worth the price difference.

24. Dmac43

Dmac43 Forum Resident

That was my thought, I was impatient when I bought the 84, and figured I'd upgrade later as they said it would be a while before the 85s came back in stock...

25. nyrjoe

nyrjoe Well-Known Member

Anyone having speed issues with their RT85? Using RPM Pro on IOS, I'm not getting what the 2nd post in this thread gets. My last 4 runs have been

RPM 33.14, W/F 0.66
    RPM 33.15 W/F 0.63
    RPM 33.14, W/F 0.89

I ran through the apps calibration and results were a bit better but not to spec (RPM 33.26, W/F 0.61)
    I'm sure if I contact Fluance they will work with me to resolve. But I'm curious as to what other owners are seeing.

Thanks