[Poll] Best $1000–Class Turntable(s)? (pick up to three)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Cyclone Ranger, Jan 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock Thread Starter

Personally, I'd wait for the Schiit Sol and see how good it actually is before committing, as it could potentially be the new king in this price class.

But, that's me. And yes, the Sol will likely have some teething pains/be a bit fussy.

Ham Sandwich and Dennis0675 like this.
  2. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

That does seem like the obvious choice but really a theoretical choice. I feel like we have been hearing about this for years and while the pictures you posted are very encouraging, we have no idea when production will start and if it is like the rest of their stuff, it will be a long wait for production once it is released. I’d wager fall of 2020 before we could get one.

JohnCarter17 likes this.
  3. Cyclone Ranger

I think it'll be more like September [this year]. We'll see.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
    Dennis0675 likes this.
  4. Cyclone Ranger

And in the poll, the Rega Planar 3 hits 150 votes, leading all comers.

While 'back in the day' I much preferred the Systemdek IIX in the price range, Rega must be doing something right, as they're still in business and the Systemdek design got bought out by Audio Note.

Rega's poll lead is probably a testament to the new design, the long legacy (in production since '77), and the fact that there seems to be simply an eff-ton of Rega dealers out there.

Props. :thumbsup:

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
  5. Cyclone Ranger

Back to July 10th now.

Unless a first run shipped out and got sold out? Has anyone in the US received one yet?

6. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani/Dobrawa Czocher ~ Inner Symphonies

Cyclone Ranger likes this.
  7. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

GEM tables begin at way above the upper range of this thread.

8. Benzion

I once saw a lightly used GEM Polytable with a Jelco 10" arm for $1,100.00 on USAudiomart.com, IIRC. Almost pulled the trigger, too.

9. Benzion

The Q Up is crap, as far a s long term reliability is concerned. Have one installed - nowadays works maybe 5% of the time, to the point where it's become a surprise when it does.

10. Benzion

Let's hope it sounds better than it looks. Also - is this a uni-pivot arm? If so - they can keep it, however good it may be.

11. Benzion

In your case, you probably know more about that stuff than any salesperson possibly could.

I certainly know that about myself when buying cars nowadays - I've even stopped asking any technical questions from car salespeople. All they choose (and seemingly need) to know about are leather seats, "infotainment" systems, moon-roofs, and finance options. Ask them about torque curves and gear ratios - and they give yo a blank look of incomprehension.

I rely on my own knowledge and homework with cars today, you will do just fine doing the same buying a turntable from Guitar Center, I'm sure, my friend.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
  12. Benzion

I'd voted before I started reading the thread, and, what do you know - I'm right on the money with the top three.

I voted for the Rega Planar 3 (and those who know me on this forum know I'm not a Rega man myself) because, despite my own preferences, it is known to be a great table with good sonics and ease of operation. I've heard them a few times, too - they do sound just fine.

I voted for the Technics just as @Dennis0675 predicted - based on legacy/brand loyalty alone, without even attempting to hear it. I simply cannot imagine or believe that a new Technics made today is capable of sounding worse than the older Mk2's - and those I'm very familiar with.

I voted for the Mofi Studio and not for the Pro-Ject Classic because the Mofi gets consistently decent reviews and, so far - no obvious known shortcomings. I will again admit to not having heard it, and voted for it on faith alone, so to speak. I honestly think that it isn't practically possible to have heard all the tables listed in this poll - it would be so time consuming, and hardly worth it, anyway. I do most of my buying online or remotely, anyway, without hearing the gear first. So, if I vote with my wallet in real life - I might as well vote with my faith here.

In the case of the P-J Classic, which I would have preferred to vote for instead of the Mofi - I know it has a cheap and crappy bearing/sub-platter assembly that really needs upgrading. Adding the upgraded components from Acoustand of UK would have bumped the table out of the price range, for one, plus I believe the context of this poll meant tables in stock form, before you get into upgrades.

I did not vote for the AT table, even though it does look nice and solid, because, after my experience with owning the AT120, I have an aversion to built-in phono's. I have a hard time believing that the internal phono on this new AT is much better that the one I took a great satisfaction in ripping out of the AT120.

Incidentally, that's why I'm not a big fan of the upcoming Technics 1500, although I tend to believe their internal phono is probably better than AT's. Aside from that, I like the looks of the 1500 even better than that of the GR - because without the pitch controls it looks more like and audiophile table and less like a DJ machine. When time comes to buying, though, it will be the GR for me.

My 2 cents.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
  13. Anton D

Anton D Forum Resident

I wish there was a way to graph marketing expenditures vs rank on these polling results.

I wonder...

14. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

Did the Marantz TT15S1 ever get mentioned?

I know it retails for $1500 but if we are going to throw a GEM table into the mix based on used prices, I think it's fair to note that the TT15 is not hard to find for around $1000 or so, open box, lightly used etc. I think it punches above its price, even at retail.

15. Cyclone Ranger

Neither the GEM 'table nor the Marantz is in the poll, on account of being too expensive. See post #1.

(but both are good 'tables, sure)

16. McLover

McLover Senior Member

I'll take a used GEM Dandy over a lot of these new. The Technics is my preferred choice, or the VPI Cliffwood. The SOTA is also nice. Technics for me is the most functional for many users.

17. Benzion

Agreed.

18. Cyclone Ranger

That's the whole idea, I think.

19. Cyclone Ranger

I'm sure there's some correlation, but not a perfect one.

If there was, Technics would be winning the poll.

20. JohnCarter17

JohnCarter17 Forum Resident

Rega, Technics and Schiit for me. Schiits's ability to punch way above their price sells them for me. That and they don't put out bad Schiit.

21. Cyclone Ranger

Technics SL-1200Mk7 is now out, aka 'officially in the wild'. :)

Any early owners have impessions to share?

22. Cyclone Ranger

Schiit Sol got released today! :)

Price is $799, and yes, setup is fiddly.

23. Benzion

The description states "everything is adjustable", but somehow it omits azimuth. I will wait to see reviews and give it a year or two to overcome its teathing problems. Then I may put it on my radar, but now is too early.

Anyway, I wish them success - I want to see a US audio manufacturer succeed with a budget but quality TT.

24. Benzion

Setup video:

25. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

Please give me my SL1200.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.