David Bowie CONVERSATION PIECE

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bowie Fett, Sep 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bowie Fett

Bowie Fett Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. chickendinna

chickendinna Homegrown’s All Right With Me

Wow, a bit of a curveball. I wasn’t expecting this, I’m not sure a lot of the forum members were.

deredordica and TheLoveDrags like this.
  3. marc with a c

marc with a c Forum Resident

Welp, I guess we can kiss our hopes for a 2019 6th box from 1989-1994 goodbye now. But, hey, can't have too many versions of "When I'm Five". I guess.

4. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

This was a conversation piece tonight when I told my wife how disappointing this news was.

Azorbz, Sean, Cat People and 2 others like this.
  5. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Boring.

Halloween_Jack, TonyCzar and scobb like this.
  6. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

How about a more descriptive thread title so its clear this is about a coming 5CD box set? I thought this was just a thread about the song.

As far as the box, this is the least interesting period for Bowie imo. I'll be sitting this out for sure.

7. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

Kind of disappointed not to see another box set in the series, but this is potentially pretty decent. Mainly going to be a question of price point for me. If they go the Pink Floyd (or previous vinyl set) route with this, I'm out.

Something more reasonable around $45 could do the trick for me though.

8. Glass Candy

Glass Candy Forum Resident

I'd rather have a half-decent box for each year rather than those abominations they have been releasing. I'll just skip the remixes.
    Happy to get these demos officially and on CD.

HoundsOBurkittsville and Ludger like this.
  9. Logeroni_Pepperoni

Logeroni_Pepperoni Forum Resident

I like the sound of the 1969 stereo mix of Space Oddity if that means an original analogue transfer like Station To Station 2010 or just any other remaster than the 2015 mess. But how could they not include Memory Of A Free Festival Parts 1 and 2?! I just ordered a copy of the 40th anniversary edition funny enough so I think i'll stick with that since this box will likely be on streaming services as well unless it offers something better.

10. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

$99.98 at the moment on Amazon.

11. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I was just thinking this looks great until you pointed out the Memory of a Free Festival 45 being missing.

The only reason I can think of is that they are planning on doing a similar The Man Who Sold The World set next year. That single was the first to feature Mick Ronson so they could start with it.

I do like that 40th anniversary edition.

12. Logeroni_Pepperoni

Logeroni_Pepperoni Forum Resident

Good point and they're also included on the Five Years boxset. The Man Who Sold The World is my favorite of his albums but I don't think they'd have enough content to make a boxset out of unless they combine it with Hunky Dory.

CMcGeek and Man at C&A like this.
  13. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

What would make it great would be finding a better quality copy of the BBC concert, but I don't think that's too likely. It could be possible for them to include Hype and Arnold Corns material. TMWSTW is one of my favourite Bowie albums too. As good as any.

The market really has been saturated since Bowie died, but I'd love to see a DVD / Blu Ray set of his TV appearances, especially with the My Death Russell Harty clip recently being found.

14. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

If Conversation Piece was originally dropped from the album lineup due to vinyl time constraints, why is there enough room on the vinyl for it now?

:waiting::D

Mikewest, Buddybud, DTK and 6 others like this.
  15. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

Yeah, they're going to have to cut that by a few 10s before I bite.

Zongadude likes this.
  16. VinchVolt123

VinchVolt123 I took a look at those hands.

Not exactly a fan of this news, but at the very least an individual CD for the 2019 David Bowie mix sounds promising. If it does something in the line of the 2017 Sgt. Pepper remix, I might just grab it over the 2015 remaster. That said, Conversation Piece is one set I'll be ignoring, both because of the high price tag and because 90% of it just doesn't interest me.

17. Rob Byrne

Rob Byrne British, music lover

I’m a massive Bowie and normally I wouldn’t hesitate to buy this, but because Parlophone have been so exploitative it’s given me pause for thought.

I bought the 7” boxes of Spying Through A Keyhole and The Clareville Grove demos. And I already own the 40th anniversary CD set, the 2-CD version of the Deram album and Bowie At The Beeb. Which means I have a substantial part of this new set already.

If Parlophone had not released all those dubious vinyl sets earlier in the year I’d have been in like a shot. But behaviour like this is exactly what drives me and other fans to alternative options for hearing the material.

And let’s do some maths. If you’d bought both 7” boxes of demos, the massive Mercury demos LP box and the double 7” of the Space Oddity single from earlier this year you’d have already paid (according to the list prices on What Records) £178!

18. richard a

richard a Forum Resident

Glad I didn’t buy the vinyl boxes earlier this year now!
    But it’s still a kick in the teeth to all those who did. Very sneaky of Parlophone to keep quiet about this set when they were pushing the hugely overpriced sets of 7” singles...
    It’ll be interesting to hear the 2019 mix of Space Oddity but I suspect it’ll be another one of those things I’ll only bother to play once.

19. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

:laughup:

Sean, vonwegen, supermd and 3 others like this.
  20. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I love this period of his development but I know that if I got this, I'd only listen to it once, then file it. So I won't be forking out all that money for this. Maybe my local record library will get it?

Are all the songs written by David or is that "Animal Farm" a cover of The Kinks' song?

21. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

aka "Perfectly in line with recent DB reissues"! :bdance:

22. cartologist

cartologist Just the son of an Iowa girl

23. cartologist

I assume a Bowie original. Pin Ups put a stake through Kinks' covers, even retroactively. o_O

Purple Jim likes this.
  24. cartologist

Maybe this will help?

[​IMG]

marmalade166 and Danderpet like this.
  25. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

Codpiece would be a better title!

Buddybud and Halloween_Jack like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.