Polk LSiM speakers 58% - 67% off..

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by riverrat, Jan 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Perfect Sound Through Crystal Clear Digital

Yep, I think you have got it, the port goes around that side wall, and honestly, that porting system is like nothing I have ever seen before and they really do put out the bass, both ports!:agree:

SandAndGlass and Jimijam like this.
  2. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

3. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

I'm currently living that first photo, as I have been "trying" to find the right new speakers for the past few years and I know that she is sick to death of me talking "speakers"! I would not however, proceed with the second photo, although I have been very tempted to kick myself off that f'ing ledge!

SandAndGlass likes this.
  4. HugDeez

HugDeez Member

The 705s are $449 new at Adorama.

Polk Audio LSiM705

Source: Slickdeals

My speakers are arriving tomorrow. Shipped and delivery in two days without Shoprunner. I'm excited!

SandAndGlass and aroney like this.
  5. dolsey01

dolsey01 Forum Resident

I've been starting to downsize my system and I keep finding myself on this thread, the $900 price for a pair of 705s has me thinking they are all I really need and to buy them and sell my Ryan R630s.

Am I crazy?

SandAndGlass likes this.
  6. Benzion

I started with picture two a few years back, way before I started buying gear for real...

SandAndGlass and Chris C like this.
  7. Litejazz53

Wait a minute here, at 66.7% off, and those speakers are sitting there waiting for you, you are on you way to pick them up aren't you? :shh: :agree:

SandAndGlass likes this.
  8. Benzion

As I've said, I'm trying to rearrange a few things between my systems and see if I really need them at all. See below what I've accomplished today so far:

I have combined two systems in one room, one doing acoustic music only, comprised of:

Modded Pro-Ject Debut Carbon DC TT/Denon DL-301 /II LOMC cart/Lounge Copla head amp/ Pro-Ject Tube Box S2 phono;
    Sparkler Audio Non-Oversampling DAC (Philips 1543) CD player;
    Little Dot MkII headphone amp acting as tube preamp (with Rek-O-Kut 2-source switch for the two sources);
    Coincident 300B SET power amp;
    Zu Omen DW II speakers;

The other one doing electric music plus FM radio:

Denon DP-60L DD TT / Denon DL-110 HOMC cart / Prp-Ject Tube Bos DS phono;
    Cambridge Audio CXC transport / DACMagic Plus;
    Magnum Dynalab FT-101A FM tuner;
    Brown Audio Labs LS-1B tube preamp;
    Parasound 2250 v.2 SS power amp;
    PSB Image T-45 speakers / Aperion super-tweeters;

Everything is connected to Furman power conditioner and APC voltage regulator.

The room now looks like this:

[​IMG]

The SET amp is hiding behind the left speaker:

[​IMG]

It's been a while since I've used the PSB speakers, and upon refreshing my memory I can tell they're not as warm-sounding as the Wharfedale 10.7's, and are more neutral in overall tone, with not so much bass extension. They're spec'd to 38 Hz vs. W's 30 Hz, and I can actually hear that difference. Overall, I can live with them, although I do like the W's sound better.

Now I need to install the W's in the living room and see how they sound there with the PrimaLuna Four amp. One snag - a banana plug broke on one cable, so gotta go get some before I report on that one.

Now notice how little room I have in the space where PSB's are sitting - I'm afraid the LSiM's will just be too huge, and won't even leave enough room to reach for the CD's in the racks.

Besides, honestly, having handled three pairs of 40-50 lb speakers today, I'm really exhausted. LSiM's are about 100 lb each - gives me doubts I need to schlep them, after one spinal surgery accomplished and another planned. I'm not as strong as I was even a few years go.

SpeedMorris and SandAndGlass like this.
  9. Litejazz53

Well, it looks like you have things going over there, I don't know, I believe those Polk 705's would light that room up, no doubt. There is another gentleman on the Forum, his name is (PinkIsTheSky). I gave him a little jazzing about getting the Polks, and he kept singing the blues about money, but after I poked at him a bit more, he ordered a pair, and oh my, the poor man has gone crazy, he loves them beyond reason, he is now ready to throw his 47 watt amplifier out the front door and replace it with a big beautiful Parasound A-21, he is ready to rock and roll. Oh heck, you have the Aperion Super Tweeters on those back speakers, and you know, they fit perfectly on the Polk 705's as they angle down perfectly to the prime listening position angle. It should be mentioned those tweeters will totally match the new 705's perfectly. I'm definitely feeling some nice sounds coming out of those midnight mahogany 705's in your New York pad with the Aperion Super Tweeters on top, oh yes! :righton:

SandAndGlass likes this.
  10. Litejazz53

Benzion, I told (PinkIsTheSky) to purchase an amplifier exactly like yours, for years I had the Classic series of Parasound and it was great, never a problem, great sound and their amplifiers just last forever. The 2250 is the exact amplifier I was telling (PinkIsTheSky) about, however he has gone a bit off one side about getting to the top layer in one big stroke, which is fine, but he would be so happy with the same amplifier you have, it's just a great piece and loads of power, easily enough for all the LSiM Polk speakers.

You know, when you started talking about your room and how small it was, it made me think of the really cool and interesting Michael Fremer video, where he tells about his system and his records, and you get to see the space he listens to music in. While his downstairs basement room is bigger, I'm not sure the actual listening space is much larger than yours and this guy has Wilson Alexx speakers in that space, with thousands and thousands of dollars worth of equipment, and he's lovin it!

If you have not seen this video, take a look. You can go to 1:15 in the video and see how small his space is with the huge magnificent Alexx speakers.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
    SandAndGlass likes this.
  11. Benzion

I still haven't heard the Wharfedale's in my bedroom. If they boom - I will move the PSB's there, and then will re-visit the question of new speakers for the living room. Perhaps the LSiM's are still in the cards, but no promises made.

12. redchiro

redchiro Forum Resident

Hi F1nut,
    Appreciate your advice: I have a full surround system with a pair of Polk LSiM 705 up front, 706c, at center, 2 pairs 702fx as surrounds. My subwoofer is an SVS SB16.
    I have a chance to sell the 705's for more than I can get a new pair of 707's. My room is 13x18 with 7 ft ceilings, and a spiral staircase cut into a roughly 4x4 opening in the ceiling going up into the third floor. The theater room also has an open doorway going into the kitchen which opens into the dining room.
    I am generally happy with the system although I realize the big Onkyo TX-NR3007 from 2009, does not have the current to open these up. May get a 2 channel amp.
    So, would it make any sense to grab the 707's and replace the 705's or just forget about it?
    Thanks.

13. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

Are your 705's set to small or large?

14. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

Florescent light kills red tones, so yours would appear more black.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  15. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

You got it.

16. redchiro

redchiro Forum Resident

Set to small but experimenting with that. Just got the sub. But, for two channel, I run in direct or pure audio mode and run them full range for all music listening. There is a stereo mode if I want to use the sub.

17. Jimijam

Jimijam Forum Resident

Hello RC, so at the new year I was looking for a new set of speakers and went with four of the 707‘s and a 706 initially I was running them off my
    (For MC and 2 CH Music and occasionally home theater) Yamaha AVR RX-Z7 it’s a beast at 140 Per channel, my room specs are similar to yours then several months later I upgraded my amp to a used but mint proceed 5
    at a great price (Audio mart) and boy what a difference it made pushing those 707‘s sound wise. (Yamaha as a pre/pro now)
    IMO I think eventually you should upgrade your amp hopefully your receiver has pre-outs. I think those 707’s are even a couple of hundred dollars less than I paid for them now.

18. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

And that illustrates the curse of being overly fond of speakers, as compared to other pieces of audio gear.

All of the audio gear in this photo are only speakers. And... this is not the only pile!

[​IMG]

You don't need any audio gear, you never need audio gear, that is the whole point of this hobby.

The 707's are 99.2-lbs. each but the 705's are only 78-lbs. each. you are in luck.

So am I. Ever so curious how Benzion like his new 705's. :)

Of course, I remember back to a time where Benzion was mostly content to test out new phono cartridges. :laugh:

You can store several in a cigar box.

19. redchiro

redchiro Forum Resident

Yes, thanks. I think a better amp is in the future. Still hoping to get some feedback on whether upgrading my 705's to 707's makes any sense for my two channel listening. Kinda wish the 707's, being the flagship, were definitively better all around. Guess they go deeper but I have not heard much else. If they were a bit more dynamic, that would be good to hear as well. No sense upgrading just for status. Sounds like the 705 is just as good unless you have a huge room.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  20. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

Ok, for HT set to small you're not going to hear a difference between the two models. For 2 channel with your current AVR the 707's are not going to perform well. If you add a power amplifier the 707's will come to life and dig deeper, otherwise should be pretty much the same. Of course, a power amp will make your 705's come to life and dig deeper.

The flagship model isn't always the best choice. For example, I prefer the SDA 2.3TL over the SDA 1.2TL and I prefer the 705 over the 707.

21. Benzion

I solemnly swear:

[​IMG]

SandAndGlass likes this.
  22. Benzion

The itch is still there though - after the Wharfedale's, I'm not too thrilled with the sound of PSB's in my living room. They're more neutral (I like the warm signature of the W's), and not as much bass, although generally very good (if I didn't have the W's to compare them to).

I will have to do some more listening to decide whether to live with them, or to succumb to breaking my recent solemn promise (see above) and get a new pair of speakers. I'm very tempted by the LSiM's, but my reservations are as follows: I can't hear them first, and if I don't like them upon hearing - I can't even return them. So I'd be stuck with two 78-lb/apiece monsters stuck in my living room, with NO conceivable storage room left in the apartment, and not knowing how to get rid of them. In that respect, I like buying from MD or AA better, because of their return policy.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  23. Benzion

Yeah - they're practically featherweights...:righton:

Oy Vey, my back is hurting already, in anticipation...:sweating:

SandAndGlass likes this.
  24. Benzion

Did some more listening with the PSB's in the living room - nope, no cigar. The magic is lost, they're too lean, lack bass, dynamics, and don't pressurize the room. Back to the bedroom with them.

Brought the Wharfedale's back into the living room and put them in the front, where the Zu's are in my picture - the magic is back! The Zu's are now in the corners, where the PSB's were in the picture. It's a lot less convenient, and even uncomfortable to reach for the bottom-shelf CD's, but that's the sacrifice I'm prepared to make for better sound.

With the W's back in the living room giving me bliss, I'm afraid I won't be needing the LSiM's in the living room, after all. Thanks for all the enthusiastic advice, I'm just happy with what I have. Perhaps, if I'm not happy with the sound of the PSB's even in the bedroom, driven by the Cary/PrimaLuna combo, which should give it some much needed warmth, I will re-visit the question of new speakers there, but I doubt the LSiM's are the ticket in an 11 x 11 room. I had my eyes on Tannoy XT 6F before - those are really appealing. We shall see how things go.

Jimijam, SpeedMorris and SandAndGlass like this.
  25. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Like many tower speaker lines, the "flagship" is almost the same as the model directly below it. Just more drivers, mostly the bass drivers to better pressurize a larger room. Because the enclosures are larger, the bass will usually dig a bit deeper.

Polk's RTi line is the same. Previous to the LSiM707's, I had the RTiA9's as my front mains for both stereo and HT. They RTiA7's are just a smaller version of the A9's. But my listening room is about 450 sq. ft.

[​IMG]

You need a lot of speaker surface area, to pressurize a large room. If your room is smaller, then the extra surface area is not that necessary and may work against you, providing an overabundance of low frequency sound for the size of the room.

Jimijam and SpeedMorris like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.