[Poll] Best $1000–Class Turntable(s)? (pick up to three)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Cyclone Ranger, Jan 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael Chavez

Michael Chavez Forum Resident

Turntables

2. Michael Chavez

hard to believe they let very evident lateral run-out wobble get past editing @1:19 : - (
    Michael

Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
    punkmusick likes this.
  3. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident

I'll vote for the little brother to my TT2 Turntable in the TT1.

The TT1 is One motor turntable (rather than two motors on the TT2) with three point suspended sub chassis and acrylic platter.

This is my TT2 - they look the same as the TT1.

[​IMG]

Review - TT1 was turntable of the year two years in a row. Still being made today.
    https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/3e7c3b_5880b72e4038426d9c70895fb3842b02.pdf

4. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

That video has me thinking the GR is worth another $900 for ease of setup alone...

For those who like to fiddle with stuff, though, this could be kind of fun.

punkmusick and Benzion like this.
  5. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Yeah, I noticed it, too. Also, the cartridge setup in the video lacks the important steps of taping the platter in place and securing the arc protractor in position so that the arc actually means something (he moves the paper to check the inner null point...). Not the most perfect video, though the parts that are actually specific to assembling the Sol seem helpful enough.

JackG likes this.
  6. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock Thread Starter

The TT1 is a fantastic ‘table (based on an old Systemdek design), but is unfortunately too expensive for this poll.

Richard Austen likes this.
  7. PopularChuck

PopularChuck Senior Member

the correct answer is "other," with the choice being a second-hand turntable that originally sold for two or three times as much.

8. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

I agree to a point, but U-Turn is decidedly entry-level, not just in the name. The Sol, I believe, aspires to be something more, so I wish them success in that.

Big Blue, JackG and Cyclone Ranger like this.
  9. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident

Sorry - you are probably quite right - I noticed the review price but that price was back in 2003! So it's probably quite expensive now. $1500 without an arm or cart in all likelihood.

Are there any suspended turntables like the AN or the Linn LP 12 in the budget - for me those probably would be what I would look at or I would probably just buy a CD player instead.

10. JackG

JackG Forum Resident

Would that be the "left/right pivot" at 19:20 of the video?

11. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

Exactly

12. Benzion

Probably, but I was talking about the description/specs listed on the website. There it's just short text that mentions no azimuth adjustment, not a link to this video.
    Schiit Audio, Headphone amps and DACs made in USA.

13. JackG

JackG Forum Resident

Yeah, I don't see azimuth specifically mentioned. Seems that left/right pivot and weight is what that's for, though, if I understand it correctly. Page weems a work in progress, no effective mass either.

Big Blue likes this.
  14. Michael Chavez

pick one
    I was going to post to that - "entry level" - what does entry level mean anyway - entry to just exactly what?
    what do they aspire to? - have you heard one? - do the platters go up and down with each revolution?
    don't care what you have there is ALWAYS something better - i.e. - costs more
    Michael

15. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I wonder why U-Turn has not yet developed something a tier above what they offer. I think most people support their business concept and like the company, but they don’t give their customers anywhere to go when they want to upgrade from that cheap tonearm and poor speed stability, and they just don’t have any options that should entice someone who already has a <$500 starter turntable. Maybe they’re working on it? Maybe they’re content serving the market they’re in?

16. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I was disappointed to see no effective mass listed. If I was considering one of these, I would need to know what my cartridge options were so I could factor that into the budget...

Cyclone Ranger and JackG like this.
  17. JackG

JackG Forum Resident

18. Michael Chavez

maybe - people are just happy listening to records and not getting twisted over BS
    Michael

19. Cyclone Ranger

Eh? To what are you referring?

If it’s effective mass, that is hardly ‘BS’, rather, it’s a useful bit of info that helps with cartridge-tonearm matching.

Might wanna take the ‘tude down a notch in any case.

Big Blue likes this.
  20. Michael Chavez

too funny
    I haven't said a word your way - you should probably chill dude
    no idea what you are talking about - or what effective mass has to do with anything
    Michael

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
  21. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

He’s the OP and your post didn’t appear to be directed at anything in particular...

Effective mass is an important tonearm spec (maybe the most important one) as it determines which cartridges match well. If that isn’t what you were referring to as “BS” then you could have clarified what you meant rather than just belligerently lashing back.

Cyclone Ranger likes this.
  22. Michael Chavez

or maybe thread participants should extend the courtesy to other thread participants before they make "in response to" posts that make little to no sense

I am aware on effective mass - made half a dozen posts to the subject the past 24 - in my content - check it out if you care to - but thanks though

"belligerently lashing back" - you lost me there? - what's with the hyperbole?

Michael

23. Cyclone Ranger

If you want ppl to know what you’re referring to, might wanna quote what it is you’re referring to. Otherwise, “It’s A Mystery, Charlie Brown.”

Oh, and I seem to remember another recent thread where you were being argumentative for no reason, and when ppl (rightfully) got mad at you, you told them to ‘chill’ then too. :rolleyes:

The mods didn’t seem to agree, as they then deleted a lot of your posts. So, play nice, and stop being tedious, mmkay? No one here is much impressed by ‘tude’.

Thanks in advance.

Big Blue likes this.
  24. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

You still didn’t clarify what you were calling “BS” though. Your post appeared right after a couple of posts about the lack of an effective mass spec for the Schiit Sol, and as you did not quote anything different, and the topic of the thread is to pick favorite $1k turntables, anyone’s best guess is that you were responding to the effective mass posts calling effective mass “BS”. You could have just clarified what you were actually saying when OP questioned your post, but instead you responded with a series of combative sentence fragments. I call that belligerent.

25. Benzion

Entry level, in an audiophile sense of it, means that U-Turn tables, given their parts and build , can only achieve so much in terms of sound quality. Beyond that is above their level of expertise, by their own choice.

Schiit, with the Sol, claim to have created something that can compete on a higher level with tables costing much much more. I wish them success in that. We have fine examples of similar situations with Lounge Audio and Parks Audio, whose phono stages, while costing slightly more than a good steak dinner for two, can and do compete with units costing thousands, and sometimes win. Schiit claims that to be their goal. U-Turn doesn't, and couldn't, even if they did a triple flip backwards, unless they develop a product better than where they are today. Let's face it, the best of bronze swords couldn't hold a candle to the most rudimentary steel ones, by default.

Big Blue likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.