Schiit Sol- The Next Great Turntable?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by msinderson, Sep 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. msinderson

msinderson Forum Resident Thread Starter

Just saw in my feed that Schiit's long awaited turntable, Sol, has finally been unleashed! I've been waiting to see what the SOL ultimately looks like and will sell for. Well, it looks like we now know...$799.

Schiit Audio, Headphone amps and DACs made in USA.

I am very interested in learning more about the SOL and am hoping to see one at this year's RMAF which starts in 2 days. If I like what I see I may just order one and give it a try. I really like the look of the turntable and it seems like it's a well designed piece of kit.

Who else is considering the purchase of a SOL?

2. Balthazar

Balthazar Forum Resident

I think they'll sell a lot of these.

SandAndGlass, crispi and tmtomh like this.
  3. JackG

JackG Forum Resident

I haven't the slightest idea if it'll be great but it certainly has my interest and I like the design and features. Some discussion on the release here but it's good you started a dedicated thread:

Schiit Sol phono cartridge shoot out

displayname likes this.
  4. NOS300B

NOS300B The Moon Queen

Gorgeous table. Great price.

Neil S. Cohen and Sugar Man like this.
  5. displayname

displayname Forum Resident

It will be interesting to see how the market reacts to the table. I’m sure they will sell a ton, but the price point compared to the set up is interesting. Fairly entry level price, but it’s obviously not meant for someone looking for quick and easy set up. I expect to see a lot of “how to” threads as this is bound to end up being some people’s first turntable when they don’t know how to set things up.
    It was smart for Schiit to release such a detailed set up video right away. Hopefully they point to that in the packaging.

6. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

I heard it's the Schiit's :D

7. JackG

JackG Forum Resident

Yeah, that's what interests me. Seems it's going after the hobbyist/enthusiast market despite the relatively low price. Probably explains the lack of an included cartridge, which is more of a plug 'n play thing.

displayname likes this.
  8. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

I think they just added a big yellow tag that reads "Some Assembly Required"...
    :laugh:
    -Bill

9. Angry_Panda

Angry_Panda Pipe as shown, slippers not pictured

I've been putting off taking a step up the TT quality ladder in hopes this will be a good option, so I'm squarely in the 'let's see the first reviews' camp. (That, and I learned some time ago that early adoption has a potential downside.)

A question to the folks who have experience with unipivot arms - is the azimuth wobble in that video a cause for concern? I'm guessing not, but it is a bit unnerving to see the whole tone arm rocking side to side like that.

bever70 likes this.
  10. displayname

VPI tables were almost exclusively unpivot until recently. If you search for unpivot or look at most VPI threads you can find plenty of input on this. The main thing I've read is that it just takes a little getting adjusted to the feel of those arms when you're cuing up. But if you're using the cue lever it really shouldn't be a big issue in my mind.

In a recent interview Harry Weisfeld of VPI said he now prefers the gimbal arms. Not because of the sound, but because as his friends are getting older more of them are having a harder time with cuing up the unpivot. It requires a steadier hand. I don't think that means it requires surgical precision, but if you're shaky, it might be something to consider.

EdogawaRampo, Shawn, cut-out and 2 others like this.
  11. bajaed

bajaed Forum Resident

So it does have a que lever?

12. displayname

Yes

13. msinderson

I'm in the same boat as you. I've been threatening to upgrade my Debut Carbon for a couple years. I posted a thread last week about possible upgrades <$1500 and now I think the SOL needs to be on that list. It's definitely NOT for someone who wants a plug-n-play experience. The SOL will require some serious tweaking in order to do the job. I'm hoping to see it at RMAF and then make a decision on whether it needs to move to the top of the list.

displayname and Cyclone Ranger like this.
  14. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

I am very interested, and waiting for some reviews before considering a purchase.

I'd like to know what the effective mass of that arm is; it's not listed in the specs. I found this tidbit on the FAQ page rather curious:

Which cartridge?
    Any one you like. We like the Nagaoka MP-110 and Denon DL-103R, amongst others, but we also like Grados and Audio-Technicas and Deccas. The main thing is, you can spend $100 or $1000 on a cartridge for Sol, and be assured the turntable isn’t holding the cartridge back.

So they're telling us that very low compliance cartridges (ie: DL-103R) and very high compliance cartridges (ie: Grado) are both compatible? How is that possible?
    :confused:

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
  15. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

That's a really nice looking table.......some mfg need to take heed and look at their own pricing.

Dubmart, Twinsfan007, dmckean and 2 others like this.
  16. JackG

JackG Forum Resident

displayname likes this.
  17. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

I’d be tempted to put a Decca moving iron cartridge on it—they play well with unipivots.

dmckean likes this.
  18. action pact

Jason Stoddard of Schiit:
    I sure hope this is so... I have a DL-103 sitting in its box, and I'd love to be able to use it again.

grbluen, displayname and JackG like this.
  19. elvisizer

elvisizer Forum Resident

Sounds like the standard schiit “who cares” attitude.
    The 11” tone arm is interesting, but I really dunno about this one after watching the setup video. Seems like there’s a lot of minor tweaks that could be done to make this easier to use . . . Threaded counterweight, for example.
    Might wait for v2

20. msinderson

I've been thinking about trying the Nakagoa 110, which is another of the carts they mentioned. The final price for the SOL and cartridge puts it right in the "sweet spot" for a lot of people like me who are looking to upgrade but don't want to get too crazy dollar wise. It will be interesting to see what the initial reviews have to say.......

zboski and action pact like this.
  21. action pact

Has anyone here pulled the trigger on this yet???

22. That's a nice looking table with noble provenance. I wonder how the hot swap tone arm works.. ie: where is the break away point, etc.

23. Lenny

Lenny Forum Resident

Pure BS. If you're using a cuing lever, and I don't know why you wouldn't, it's identical.

Nathan Z, Tullman, tyinkc and 3 others like this.
  24. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Just wondering, as someone who has not cued up a unipivot... Does the cueing arm completely stop whatever motion you may have induced when moving the cartridge over? It just seems to me some inertia would remain unless you waited a while.

bever70 likes this.
  25. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Tied up at the show? How many years has this thing been in development? Effective mass is surely a spec to measure at some point prior to now...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.