Japan Mini LP SHM-CDs - New Releases, George Harrison and more

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by toilet_doctor, Jan 19, 2017.

1. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

I was just looking at the full sets on eBay from the re sellers...looks like there is a Yellow Brick Road promo box available with them.

toilet_doctor likes this.
  2. toilet_doctor

toilet_doctor "Rockin' chair's got me" Thread Starter

5 Prog albums, released by Belle Antique, are coming at the end of the month.

Aug. 25, 2019

(SHM-CD)
    Pentacle La Clef Des Songes
    Atila The Beginning of The End
    (2CD)
    Atila Intencion
    Atila Reviure
    Strange Days 9 Parts to the Wind

Pentacle

"Cardboard sleeve featuring SHM-CD format and features 2010 remaster. Comes with lyrics and description. Three bonus tracks." [$29.49]

La Clef Des Songes (The Key to Dreams) [SHM-CD] / Pentacle
    "[Belle Antique Paper Jacket Series] Pentacle that left its only album in 1975.
    The naive sensibility should surely touch the heartstrings of symphonic rock fans. Love of that poetic sentiment, such as Camel. Enjoy a pure world resembling such love, like being dragged into their world when you listen.
    Release of paper jacket, remastered in 2010, high quality SHM-CD.
    The long-awaited album is an Encore Press decision!
    Lyrics, commentary. Includes 3 bonus tracks."

In the 70's, French groups (Ange, Mona Lisa, Atoll and etc.) were able to distinguish themselves from the rest of the world by creating their own approach to the symphonic prog,
    which can be described in three words: Passion, Intense and Drama; (with emotional vocals on the theatrical side). Amazingly, the French lyrics fit to this approach as a glove.
    I don’t speak French, but I cannot imagine another language for these albums (for example, English).

Review
    "The members of the French band PENTACLE have succeeded in producing a five-star album. All on "La Clef De Songes" is pointed at making beautiful symphonic rock. The music is never pushed forward; the arrangements are well taken care of. Every song, no matter if it's short or long, is supplied with the necessary guitar and keyboard solos, to emphasize the lyrics' needs.

Right away title song "La Clef Des Songes" has a beautiful and well executed Moog solo, while the following solo, played on a Gibson SG. The song starts with a majestic symphonic rock theme by the complete band, soon joined by the excellent vocals by Gerard Ruez.

Contrary to most French bands from this period who all have very theatrical vocals, the vocals in the songs of Pentacle are more restrained and have a dreamier and poetical character. The lyrics are all well written and fit to the music perfectly. It's hard to believe that this album was produced by Ange front man Christian Decamps, hysterical and theatrical singer par excellence. "Les Pauvres" is the shortest, but it's also one of the most poetic and beautiful songs.

Again, in a song like "L'âme Du Guerrier" the interplay between synthesizers and guitars is well chosen. Despite its compactness (the song is only a bit longer than six minutes) the song contains many beautiful themes. The added acoustic guitar parts contribute to the subtlety of the song, which is well supported by the drums and bass.

Highlight on the album is undoubtedly the over ten minutes lasting "The Raconteur", another very melodic song full of warm harmonies. There is a huge number of beautiful themes, full of tempo and character changes, to be enjoyed between the several vocal segments. The song ends with beautiful solos on the Gibson SG of Ruez, alternated by the subtle and very melodious Moog parts supplied by Claude Menetrier. This chain of solos is ended by a beautiful acoustic guitar solo in a fade out, putting a worthy conclusion to a very beautiful album.

The early seventies showed an outburst of creativity in the French progressive music scene with bands like Ange, Mona Lisa, Atoll & Metabolisme, and Pentacle have added their bit with their alas only album.
    "La Clef Des Songes" is a must for everyone who likes French symphonic rock from the seventies, and I think it's one of the best albums in the genre. It's obvious that I can honor this album only with five stars!
    " -- Erik de Beer

"Although La Clef Des Songes was only Pentacle's debut effort, this is a mature and all-around exceptional album that should be heard by every symphonic progressive rock fan.
    Despite its rather obscure status, this is one of the most essential French prog albums from the 1970’s and deserves to be regarded as such - this can only be described as a beautiful,
    haunting, and compelling journey
    ." (from the review)
    Title track

Pentacle - L'Âme Du Guerrier

Pentacle - Les Pauvres

Pentacle - Complot 1975

I have that 2010 Belle release, licensed from the old French prog label Musea. It was a while since I listened to this album.
    I remember only one thing: I liked it when I bought it.

Now, I listened to it again 3 times with great pleasure, although I don’t understand a single word.
    There is nothing to dislike here. This is not so complex music, but with each listening more details and nuances pop up,
    and finally the album appears as a whole - one single piece of music of 6 parts, where each part is a continuation of the previous one.

There is only one question left: Why did these guys not leave us more beauty like this?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I can highly recommend it because the sound stands firmly in the "Very Good" category – well balanced and clear. (The sound on bonus tracks, however, is so-so).
    It's a good opportunity (with this 2019 Encore Press reissue) to fill a hole in your collection or simply discover something new.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
    Boaz likes this.
  3. toilet_doctor

P.S.

In tribute to the producer of the Pentacle album and Ange's lead man, Christian Decamps,
    author of the 2018 Ange album ‘Heureux!’, written exactly in the style of the 70’s:
    Please listen to Passion, Intense and Drama, the French symphonic prog was all about…

Spirit of the 70’s… I need no lyrics. I cranked up the volume and last 45 years fell off my shoulders…

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  4. Does Prog Rock have a huge following in Japan? That genre seems better served by Japanese releases than some other, more popular genres.

5. I’m into Prog Rock but haven’t heard of this band. I’ll be checking this out.

6. toilet_doctor

Not. I think the number of prog fans is proportional to the country's population.
    We are just talking about the Mini LP CD here. And people from independent Japanese labels Belle Antique and Vivid Sound are prog lovers, and they want their SHM prog releases to be presented in Mini LP. This attracts more people - Mini LP collectors.
    In fact, according to the 2019 annual ranking of Japanese Top-100 from January through April, only 12 of the 100 releases are Prog.
    As for other genres, they come in jewel cases on UHQ, SHM and regular CDs much more than Prog.
    For example, 90 jazz albums will be released and only 10 prog ones in August.
    In the August Warner MQA UHQCD release, there is only 1 prog album of 20.

7. toilet_doctor

It is always useful to discover something new that you have missed before and can enjoy now.
    When I spoke about French Prog in high words, “intense, dramatic” and such, it looks like I'm hyperbolizing, but I am not. Take a look yourself:
    (This song is from the 1992 album “Tears of the Dalai Lama.” Resurrected band… Christian Decamp son, Tristan, on the keyboard. He is great vocalist as well. Excellent solo-guitar.)

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  8. toilet_doctor

Atila

"The band ATILA (Spain) was formed in '73 by Eduardo Biebla (guitar), Joan Punyet (drums) and Paco Ortega (keyboards), soon several personnel changes followed. This legendary and highly acclaimed progrock band made three LP's: "The Beginning Of The End" ('75), "Intencion" ('76) and "Reviure" ('77). At the end of '78 the band dissolves but in '99 they reformed and did a reunion-concert, playing their best material. The sound of ATILA has elements from VANILLA FUDGE, CREAM, The NICE and ELP but in general ... it's ATILA!
    The remastered second album "Intencion" and a concert from '99. This is a treat for the lovers of 'vintage-keyboards' (Hammond, Moog, Mellotron) with some mindblowing moments (swirling organ and fat Moog runs) but the guitarwork is also worth listening, a bit harder-edged but very inventive, at some moments with a Spanish flavour. The songs from the live-concert ('99) are more original and belong to the best Spanish progrock ever made: intense, compelling and exciting climates and shifting moods with lots of great solos. "Reviure" is a masterpiece for the fan of Continental European progressive music. BEAUTIFUL MUSIC!
    " – Erik Neuteboom, Netherland

“Features 2 x 7-inch singles never released on albums before, two unreleased songs, and a bonus disc featuring the whole album recorded in another version. Cardboard sleeve featuring SHM-CD format and the latest remastering. Comes with a description.”

(translation)
    The Beginning of The End [SHM-CD + CD] / Atila
    “[Belle Antique Paper Jacket series] Debut work of 1975 announced by Atila, Spain - cult progressive rock band. Unregular trio organization - Bach-like church organ, thrilling rhythm section, and lingering guitar are rampant. It is a magnificent concept work that consists of a single suite as a whole, and pays attention to the performance that progresses with the improvisation scattered throughout. Comes with a bonus disc that includes two unreleased songs in addition to two 7-inch single songs not yet included in the album, plus another take of the entire album. Paper jacket, SHM-CD (disc 1 only), definitive content at the latest remaster! With explanation.”

Review
    Is this a bootleg?
    Bad packaging, very bad sound and probably a band not on their best too. This is essentially a rip-off release, cashing on Atila's very good name.
    My gripe is not with Atila or their music on this album. It is difficult to judge their music based on this very bad sound. The inclusion of a very lengthy drum solo does not make this album any better either. In other words; it is impossible to even judge Atila and the music on this live album. So I am not. What makes me mad is this album presented as an Atila product. It probably is not. It is a rip-off, no less and no more.
    The "music" here just makes me hungry for their studio albums where Atila is presented in all their glory. And you too should buy them
    .” (progarchives)

I don’t believe in a good sound of this live-recorded debute album.

(translation)
    Intencion [SHM-CD] / Attila
    “[Bell Antique Paper Jacket Series] Attila's second album released in 1976. In addition to the trio formation of the previous work, recorded in a five-person organization that added the bass and sound members. The style shown in the previous work is a progressive rock album with a hard rock approach that adds a psychedelic guitar to the sound centered on Hammond Organ and synthesizer. Paper jacket, SHM-CD, definitive content in the latest remaster! With explanation. Includes one bonus track.”

Review
    A lot of praise has come this album's way from a few well-respected people. Is this album really a masterpiece?
    This band from Spain has taken a large chunk with ELPism and added some Ekseption and Trace to the mix. There is also some fusion here and pastorial prog on one song. This makes this album varied...... and confusing. The piece of music where Atila puts themselves pretty close to Genesis is pretty strange on an album which is very much down the ELP/Ekseption road. Most of the music here is long bombastic symphonic prog jams. They are mostly spacy with lengthy church organs and hammond solos. Then we have some Tony Iommi type of fuzz guitars and I wonder what Black Sabbath is doing on this album. The following children choir reminds me a lot about Pink Floyd. A lenghty drum solo also breaks the pattern here. This album is a strange brew, to say at least.

Atila's spaced out symphonic prog jams is both original and pretty run of the mill. Other bands have done the same.... but better. Quality wise, this album is good, but it never rises above good. This album is sorely missing any superb pieces of music, which would had made this album stand out from the crowd. But it is still a good album and I am close to award it four stars. A bit more orginality is what I am missing. But if this is your kind of music, this album is the answer to your quest for a happy life. 3.75 stars.” (progarchives)

I think this album was kind of transitional - the band was still looking for their own sound.

(translation)
    Reviure (Resurrection) [SHM-CD] / Atila
    “[Belle Antique Paper Jacket Series] Cult progressive rock band from Spain, Atila's third album released in 1978. A four-person group; A masterpiece work that increases the frequency of use of synthesizers in the sound that extends from the previous work. The style that incorporates hard but progressive elements will overwhelm the listeners with a play full of emotional feelings that are only rough but unique to Spain. Paper jacket, SHM-CD, definitive contents in the latest remaster! With explanation.”

Reviews

“4.5 stars. The 3rd and most elaborated album by Atila, gone are the proto-prog elements and here we have clear symphonic style blended with space-prog ala Pink Floyd Meddle epoch. They signed to EMI, bassist was replaced by Jean Pierre Gomez and the female choir was eliminated, keyboardist Benet Nogué still provides the few vocals.
    … Definitely the best Atila album, if you feel like discovering this band this is the place to start, if you like them then check out their 2nd album Intencion.

“5* The band Atila surely hits the spot with their 3rd offering, Reviure. Their 2nd album was a truly wonderful album but very crude and leaning very much towards heavy prog in places, Reviure rather relies on atmosphere and shading. I suppose the term symphonic is rather telling. And while there is plenty of atmospheric excursions, such as is the case in 'Somni', one is bound to find several outbursts of the heavier sort.

If you're into keyboards, and vintage at that, this is very much an album for you. It holds everything you could wish for and played with great skill. The band is so tight and plays so well, I continue to be amazed and in awe. Though largely instrumental it holds just enough vocals to add to the mix, presenting some relief (by no means meant in a bad way) to the intensity of the instrumental parts.

In sum, this is a wonderful piece of art. Four tracks of immense beauty and beastly character. I seem to pick up new things every time and just when I think I've heard it all it explodes in front of my eyes (or ears) and delivers further depth. I am always cautious of giving five stars but I am bound to do so here. There is no other rating to consider.
    Utter brilliance and truly an album to discover
    .”

Reviure

Atila - Somni

Atila ► Atila [HQ Audio] Reviure 1978

One more review

5* Now this is their best...
    Heavy vintage synth use with a better and more solid interplay of guitar-bass-drum, and again mostly instrumental... The epic track of the same name of the band "Atila" is a Masterpiece of symphonic progressive rock that shows what this band was really capable off, also there is an amazing drum solo (not particularly a fan for those) that will make your head pause and pay attention, I think this track alone pays the price of the CD.

Please, let me ask you if I could... What the heck are you waiting for? My friend, just go and try to get it, while copies last... A Superb Masterpiece!!! PERIOD.” (progarchives)

Yes, this is the one. I ordered it.

Boaz and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  9. toilet_doctor

It's here and looks like this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ispace, Bobby Morrow and Oyster Boy like this.
  10. toilet_doctor

11. toilet_doctor

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    'Don't Shoot Me...' 10 out of 16 are gone (at eBay store) for some reason.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. toilet_doctor

13. toilet_doctor

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Guys, please comment on the sound...

ispace, Carlox, Bobby Morrow and 4 others like this.
  14. Waiting on mine via DHL on Tuesday, will certainly let you know.

15. toilet_doctor

This is great news for the beginning.
    Looking forward to hear more from you. Thanks.

Oyster Boy likes this.
  16. bbanderic

bbanderic Forum Resident

Those Elton John SHM's sure look pretty! I have 8 of them on the way, can't wait to hear them, hoping they sound as great as people are saying.

Oyster Boy and toilet_doctor like this.
  17. toilet_doctor

Uni found 2 more The Rolling Stones albums that were never released on the Mini LP; New 2019 remaster; $25:

Finally. Two "Big Hits" titles from The Rolling Stones will become cardboard sleeve reissues for the first time. Full-length titles are "Big Hits (High Tide and Green Grass)" and "Through The Past, Darkly (Big Hits Vol. 2)." Let's look into them.

"Big Hits (High Tide and Green Grass)" features SHM-CD format and 2019 remastering (Mono). Available as mini LP format for the first time. The mini LP faithfully replicates its UK first pressing LP design, including an folded color booklet. Includes an obi that replicates the one with its Japanese first pressing LP.
    "Through The Past, Darkly (Big Hits Vol. 2)" features SHM-CD format and 2019 remastering (stereo). Available as mini LP format for the first time. The mini LP faithfully replicates its UK first pressing LP design, including an inner sleeve. Includes an obi that replicates the one with its Japanese first pressing LP
    .”

[​IMG]

Oct. 30, 2019

(Mini LP SHM-CD)
    The Rolling Stones Big Hits (High Tide and Green Glass)
    The Rolling Stones Big Hits Vol. 2 (Through The Past, Darkly)

(translation)
    Big Hits (High Tide and Green Glass) [SHM-CD] [Limited Release] / The Rolling Stones
    “60's best UK album, which has been difficult to obtain for a long time, will be released in the first paper jacket! Released in 1966, the first best album for The Rolling Stones. Recorded 4th in the UK charts. Includes many hit numbers such as "Satisfaction", "Last Time", and "19th Nervous Breakdown". Reproduce the miniature as faithfully as possible, such as portrait photos of the members with the fisheye lens used in the front jacket, taken in New York by Gerry Schutzberg, a color booklet on Gatefold Sleeve.”
    ● First paper jacket
    ● Paper jacket with miniature reproduction of UK first edition LP
    ● Miniature reproduction of binding color booklet
    ● Miniature reproduction of first edition LP band in Japan
    ● Remastered sound source (MONO) for 2019
    ● Commentary / Lyrics
    ● Complete production Limited Edition”

[​IMG]

Through The Past, Darkly (Big Hits Vol.2) [SHM-CD] [Limited Release] / The Rolling Stones
    “The best UK album of the 60s, which has been difficult to obtain for a long time, will be released with the first paper jacket! Announced in 1969, the second-best album for The Rolling Stones. Recorded 2nd in the UK charts. Includes many hit numbers such as “Paint It, Black”, “Street Fighting Man”, “Honky Tonk Women”.
    ● Reproduce the miniatures as faithfully as possible with British artwork such as Octagonal Gatefold sleeves.”

[​IMG]

230 699 410 views

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
  18. jeffreybh

jeffreybh Gunter Gleiben Glauchen Globen

Thanks for the updates as alway @toilet_doctor.
    I am confused though why are they referred to as "will become cardboard sleeve reissues for the first time"

I have the following versions
    The Rolling Stones - Big Hits (High Tide And Green Grass)

Rolling Stones* - Through The Past, Darkly (Big Hits Vol. 2)

19. toilet_doctor

You’re right, they were part of the 2008 set of 22 albums.

[​IMG]

Probably, they should say: released in replica paper sleeve of original UK LP cover for a first time. Because about 2008 cover, they said: “The jacket was diverted from the album "COULD YOU WALK ON THE WATER?" (translation)
    They also planned another version - cancelled:

[​IMG]

I don’t see nothing wrong with Vol.2 cover of the previous release:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Please note that new Vol.2 is Stereo version, while old was Mono.
    We will see the content of both albums, whether it will correspond to previous releases.

20. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

And will it contain the correct version of Ruby Tuesday with the added vocal overdub?

21. jeffreybh

for awareness I just double checked my old version and to clarify only tracks 5 (Mother's Little Helper) and Track 10 (Have You Seen Your Mother Baby, Standing In The Shadow?) are noted as being mono with the remaining tracks in stereo.

22. snarf999

snarf999 Well-Known Member

This is the first time the UK versions of Big Hits and Through The Past, Darkly are released as mini LP CD.
    In other words: the mini LP CDs which were released before are the US versions.

23. toilet_doctor

- update -

Message from Japan:

"postponed, new release date is unknown "

(Mini LP DVD-A + HQCD)
    King Crimson The Reconstrukction Of Light (40th Anniversary Ed.)
    King Crimson The Power to Believe (40th Anniversary Ed.)

Sorry about that.

24. jeffreybh

No they're not. they are from Japan. Please check the discs links I provided.

25. Oyster Boy

Oyster Boy Forum Resident

Hey, @toilet_doctor , any idea why the two double bluespec 2 David Gilmour live albums to be released in October are so expensive? They are part of the mini-LP campaign and the single albums are reasonably priced.