First Turntable

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by SeeDeeFirth, Sep 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SeeDeeFirth

SeeDeeFirth Dazed And Confused Thread Starter

Mine was the model to the rear left.
    The speaker was an elliptical paper coned driver located behind the metal grille in the perspex lid.
    I spent many an hour listening to my favourites with this TT.

[​IMG]

2. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

[​IMG]
    Rega RP1

After a few years of use, going through a few carts and 500 records later its still in use, but is just about to be retired.
    Still runs like day one however and the specs are in order without changing the belt even once.
    Dustcover only has 1 small scratch on it, use microfiber cloths, not dishwashing rags.
    Couldnt have made a better entry level purchase for the money I realized much later.

3. JackG

JackG Forum Resident

I wore out the "My Sharona" single on something just like that.

SeeDeeFirth and MikeInFla like this.
  4. caracallac

caracallac Forum Resident

... and I still have LPs that bear the scars...

[​IMG]

5. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

My first TT was a Marantz in the early 80's. Don't remember the model number

6. displayname

displayname Forum Resident

Mine was the infamous LP60. It ended up being returned because it couldn’t track a few records I owned. Quickly moved to the UTurn Orbit until I further upgraded.

nosliw and Leonthepro like this.
  7. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

I'm sure it wasn't an audiophile experience but it sure does look cool!

8. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident

Fisher

[​IMG]

Lucca90 likes this.
  9. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Hard to locate a picture of this one, but this was my first stereo. I had a really crappy "record player" as a kid that was a portable, mono, GE unit before this.
    So this thing was my first "stereo". Records only, no radio. It was by Soundesign.
    [​IMG]

Then I graduated to my first real separate turntable when I got a Pioneer receiver to go with it. That was the PL-518 Direct Drive turntable.
    [​IMG]

-Bill

10. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

Lenco L75, my dad bought this 2nd hand for me when I was about 12 years old. That was in the early 80's. I remember I thought it was just looking 'old' and a few years later I wanted one of those 'cheap' silver plasticky but 'modern' looking decks.....boy how wrong I was :hide: !!

[​IMG]
    The first 45rpm I got from his collection was 'John Woolley & Just Born' with 'Ruby Baby'....never knew who 'Just Born' was :D, but I played that song all night long.

11. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

My first turntable that I bought with my own money was the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon. I upgraded the cartridge to the Ortofon 2M Bronze and a cork slipmat and fixed the infamous humming issue by removing the transportation screws to decouple the motor.

It served me well until I upgraded to a high-end JVC direct drive turntable.

Leonthepro likes this.
  12. mkane

mkane Strictly Analog

All in one unit and the name escapes me. My father worked at a radio station part time so music was a way of life at our house. Around 1968, I was a Freshman.

13. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

"Akkord" - a marvel of Soviet audio engineering of late 60's - early 70's. Apparently a suspended idler drive, built-in amplifier with a whopping 1.5 Watt output, mono speaker in the top cover with frequency response of 80 Hz - 14 kHz, ceramic cartridge with corundum stylus, no counterweight:

[​IMG]

hi_watt and bever70 like this.
  14. classicrocker

classicrocker Life is good!

Some cheap all in one suitcase unit in the mid 60's so I could play my top 40 45rpm singles I bought with my 50 cents a week allowance.

My first component stereo was a low-end Radio Shack system with single driver speakers, small integrated amp and a turntable with no adjustments for VTF and a flip stylus with a needle on each side of the flipper. I used this all through High School and my freshmen year at college until I could afford my first upgrade system that had a decent Dual belt drive TT.

hi_watt likes this.
  15. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

I grew up listening to records on one of these:

[​IMG]

16. timind

timind phorum rezident

My dad brought one of these (Garrard RC88) home from a yard sale in 68. It worked ok with a penny taped to the headshell.
    [​IMG]

hi_watt likes this.
  17. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Image wont load for me.

18. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Some kind of BSR changer I got from a garage sale in the early 90s. Had a built in amp and two external bookshelf speakers.

Bill Why Man and hi_watt like this.
  19. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

One of these Garrards with the fake wood grain plastic base. I moved on to a Technics B2 after that which lasted me through college.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Lucca90 likes this.
  20. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I have absolutely no idea. In the house growing up, we had some all-in-one system made to look like a rack of components, and at some point I began accumulating thrift store turntables in various states of funcionality from brands I cannot recall.

hi_watt likes this.
  21. Brudr

Brudr Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Technics SL-Q2

22. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Garrard Type A70

23. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

24. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

My first time, oh, turntable, was an AR XA, bought new for the princely sum of what-- $89 US? circa 1970 or so. It was fine for a starter table and as many of you know, it was one of the UR tables for the suspended designs going forward.
    Sold to a family friend a few years later when I stepped up to the then relatively new SP 10 DD (which I still have and use).
    I did play records on a suitcase phono system my parents had before that-- they weren't audiophiles. And I was a child.

Leonthepro likes this.
  25. zombiemodernist

zombiemodernist Forum Resident

God, as a kid I had one of those horrible Yorx systems given to me by my grandfather because my parents were afraid I'd wreck their old Technics p-mount.

Eventually got a hold of that Technics p-mount and realized how much better records could sound.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
    vwestlife, nosliw and Leonthepro like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.