Avant-Garde, "New Music", Now Playing>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AxiomAcoustics, Jan 22, 2014.

1. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

For something that I would think will draw a pretty big weekend crowd, how early should I plan to show up? Am I right that they pretty much let everybody in who is there, or at some point do they close the doors?

Dahabenzapple likes this.
  2. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

75 people maximum. I’ll be there by 7:30 - should be no problem

I’m still shocked that more don’t line up for a band with William & Hamid with a world class tenorman like Assif Tsahar

3. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Are you saying that they won't get more then 75 people, or no more then 75 will be let in?

4. Dahabenzapple

By law 75 is the max for the small theatre

5. Dahabenzapple

I think people will be turned away for the Friday & Saturday shows but I might be wrong. Usually the tough ones to get in are when Nils Cline is playing.

6. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Well I better plan to get there early then. Don't want to miss him. Never get these kind of shows in the Bay Area.

7. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

[​IMG]

I'm sure you all know the Bowed Piano Ensemble. I think I may have mentioned this one before actually, Still, it's being played again since I purchased some additional titles.

It's from a different album, but here is a picture of them playing. They essentially play the piano in every possible way other than conventionally. This is like a Prepared Piano taken to the next level. The sounds they get are amazing.

[​IMG]

Beamish13 likes this.
  8. Tokyo Ghost

Tokyo Ghost Senior Member

Mark Spybey and Mick Harris - Bad Roads, Young Drivers (2000).

[​IMG]

9. Dahabenzapple

Among many others, this has been an incredible first listen:

Michel Doneda & Le Quan Ninh

Thirty Ways to Avoid Talking

Doneda on soprano saxophone with Ninh playing his “surrounded bass drum”

6th track adds Shunichiro Hisada on Tzuzumi & voice

First 5 tracks recorded live @ Instant Chavires in Paris on 6/6/2017. 6th track recorded live in Shushikan Hall in Kobe, Japan on 7/14/2017

On Relative Pitch Records

Starwanderer, Beamish13 and sberger like this.
  10. Dahabenzapple

Also taking another run at the big 3 CD set from Tyshawn Sorey called Pillars.

On Firehouse 12 Records

11. Dahabenzapple

I always get there early as I also like to sit in the first or second row. I’ll be at Matt Mitchell’s show on 9/18 with Ben Gerstein, Mat Maneri, Brandon Seabrook & Kate Gentile. His other nights are also very intriguing. I’d love to see the Friday night 9/20 show that includes Ava Mendoza & Matt Nelson. I’ll then be at Fred Frith’s 9/26 show with his great young bassist & drummer being augmented by Lotte Anker on saxophones. Again I’d like to add Saturday night 9/28 but we are driving to Philly to see JRAD on Friday night 9/27!!!

Starwanderer and sberger like this.
  12. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Wow what a schedule!

13. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Only a vinyl rip for me on this as it is way out of my price range, but this badly needs a reissue. One of the great free jazz excursions ever put to record, IMO.

[​IMG]

93curr likes this.
  14. Dahabenzapple

I’m spoiled because I really miss the days up until 2017 before which it was 2 sets per night. That was being spoiled but I guess so many second sets with too few people staying. Plus always a second charge as often the bands/line-ups were different for the second set. I’d love to go more often but I have a job, wife and other very important life stuff to deal with.

15. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

I'd say you're doing you're role in supporting this very important music, even with a busy outside schedule.

16. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

17. Dahabenzapple

I just ordered this - ETA tomorrow

I’ve never been a Braxton fanatic but this peaked my interest

18. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

I'll be interested in your thoughts. I'm not a big Nels Cline fan, but he's on fire here(as is everybody else).

19. Dahabenzapple

I’ve always enjoyed Nils in the smallish improv groups I’ve seen him in but I’m also not a fan of any dates I’ve heard from him as a leader.

20. andolink

andolink Forum Resident

21. Dahabenzapple

First disc listened through twice. Far surpassed my expectations.

Wowza

22. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Yeah it's pretty immense. I have so much respect for Braxton, continuing to explore and produce, continuing to surround himself with incredible, imaginative players that go with his vision and yet bring, with full encouragement from Braxton, so much of their own personalities to the productions.

I could pretty much survive with only Braxton's catalog and nothing else for the rest of my life if I had to.

23. Dahabenzapple

I’ve never been a follower of much of Braxton’s post classic quartet (the one with Hemingway, Dresser & Crispell) but I’ve git huge respect for him. I’ve been tempted to get the trio box with Rainey & Fujiwara & the duet box with Hemingway but I really want to hear more voices and the inclusion of Cline on this set is what is initially elevating what I’ve heard (Disc 1 twice) to another level. Often no matter who the musicians are - just drums & saxophone can wear me. I’m a much bigger listener to trios or quartets especially with a bass, guitar or some low brass. The instrumentation/sound on this one was really working for me.

24. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

25. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream