Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Classicolin, Sep 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I didn’t know there was significant hate for Force Awakens. I absolutely loved every frame. The others have been fine, maybe not as good but entertaining. I just had no interest is seeing Solo as a character for two hours and I think that was their misstep, not that Solo was a bad film. Loved Rogue one too. I did have to see Rogue One and Last Jedi twice, for some reason, before I really enjoyed them. Glad I gave them a second chance.

2. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I have gone from not caring for it to really enjoying it with repeated viewings. So, perhaps history will in fact be kinder towards it but these days, with less patience and more media to consume, people may not rediscover it. Either of you could be right.

David Campbell likes this.
  3. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

i totally agree, but I wish you hadn’t reminded me of the “Leia Poppins” scene...didn’t know it had a name now but that’s pretty on the money. A truly dreadful black mark on the franchise. I just sat there stunned when I saw that, but most of the rest played well for me upon a second viewing.

4. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Yeah, as much as I thought Last Jedi was OK (meaning not terrible), I kinda winced at that moment and thought, "wait, now she has super-Jedi powers?"

I'll say this: it's the first (and so far, the only) Star Wars film to make me believe these characters are really in space and die if somebody opens the wrong door or blows the hatch. The scene leading up to that was actually very good.

misterbozz and David Campbell like this.
  5. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

We won't know until TROS how significant or insignificant TLJ is in the scheme of things.

Even in current Disney EU canon, shortly after the events of Episode VI,Luke trained Leia in the ways of the Jedi and to hone her inate Force abilities,but she ultimately decided not to be a Jedi and stay on the governmental side of things. However,it's implied (and was implied in even the pre-Disney canon) that Leia was Luke's equal in Force power and ability.

I agree that the scene in the Last Jedi was poorly staged and executed. The idea is sound but it just doesn't look right or convey what is really happening in the scene ,which is she's pulling herself back to the shop,not flying. But it looks like she's flying and that was on Johnson not selling it properly. I do wonder though if Carrie had lived and was around during the reshoots if that whole sequence would have been redone? I can't help but think that is why it's in the movie in it's current form.

sunspot42 likes this.
  6. David Campbell

You are the first person I've seen openly say that Chris Pine is a better Kirk than Shatner,and I agree. One of the things that these movies did well story wise is giving Kirk an actual arc.By the time you get to Beyond he has grown from a frat boy to the guy from the original series more or less,just better acted. Pine to me feels more like the younger version of the Kirk from Star Trek II on,if that makes any sense.

The whole main cast was well put together and they started to have that family feel that you refer to that the OG cast had. It's a shame they couldn't move past the wrath of Khan remakes, because if given better material they could really shine. I hope the Tarrentino Star trek gets made with this cast. He may do something wild,but far more interesting than what we've gotten.

MikeJedi, sunspot42 and BeatleJWOL like this.
  7. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Man, even when they set the Jedi tree on fire it turned out the books were safely stashed on the Falcon. That movie couldn't commit to anything. Everything will be as it was at the start of Last Jedi...except Luke will now be a shimmery blue color.

MekkaGodzilla likes this.
  8. David Campbell

Luke "died" and joined the force. It also showed the moment Ben Solo turned . Even if those were the only notable things to occur in the movie,it still wouldn't qualify as "Skippable". Luke's last stand and then joining his mentors in the force is a pretty significant development,even if you didn't like how they got there.

One thing to note too about Empire ,except for Han being frozen in Carbonite (which is fairly quickly resolved by act 1 of ROTJ) and of course Luke discovering the truth about Vader, not a whole lot changed in the status of the rebellion at the start of the film and where they end up at the end. Both Empire and TLJ are less plot movers and more character driven.

sunspot42 and marmalade166 like this.
  9. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

:laughup:

KAJ1971 and twicks like this.
  10. David Campbell

:rolleyes:

11. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

[QUOTE="David Campbell, post: 22053935, member: ] Both Empire and TLJ are less plot movers and more character driven.[/QUOTE]

But compare the massive changes for those OT characters in Empire with this new bunch. Luke learns his father is the worst guy in the galaxy. Han and Leia fall in love and are captured, tortured, put through the ringer with Han maybe dead.

Meanwhile, Rey and Kylo ignore their masters and almost team up...but don't and go back to hating each other. Finn and Poe learn cute little lessons. Ugh.

FACE OF BOE likes this.
  12. David Campbell

But compare the massive changes for those OT characters in Empire with this new bunch. Luke learns his father is the worst guy in the galaxy. Han and Leia fall in love and are captured, tortured, put through the ringer with Han maybe dead.

Meanwhile, Rey and Kylo ignore their masters and almost team up...but don't and go back to hating each other. Finn and Poe learn cute little lessons. Ugh.[/QUOTE]
    Rey goes from someone waiting for someone else to tell her where she fit into the universe to someone who realizes that she has to make her own way now. Poe learns to be a leader rather than some guy who comes in guns blazing, Finn stops running for real and decides this is his fight . The torch of the fight for freedom against the forces of the Dark Side is officially passed from the Skywalkers to the new generation. I'd say those are fairly significant developments. Not just "cute lessons."

Yeah,it's far less visceral and more subtle,but honestly The Force Awakens didn't bother much with developing our new heroes because it was too busy moving at a break neck pace. So that's what we get in TLJ. It may lack the visceral thrills of Empire where it was one cliffhanger after another towards the end, but there is character development that was sorely needed,even if it may not have been exactly what people were expecting. (I.E. Rey learning Luke was her dad .)

greg_t, sunspot42 and Flippikat like this.
  13. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Poe learns to be a leader? He learns to follow orders, no questions asked!

Finn was never running in TLJ, he was "escaping" to find and warn Rey, the only friend he's ever had.

The torch of the fight is officially passed from the Skywalkers...by Luke appearing and saving the day?

To quote a character in a far superior current franchise, I could do this all day.

MekkaGodzilla and FACE OF BOE like this.
  14. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

I seem to remember you liking The Last Jedi quite a bit when it came out. :confused:

That scene was indeed poorly staged and executed, as someone else just said here. I don't object to any of the ideas that Rian Johnson put into this film, but his presentation of those ideas, to me, left a lot to be desired.

That said, Daisy Ridley is carrying these films from an acting perspective. I have no doubt there'll be some great set pieces in the new film too.

sunspot42 and FACE OF BOE like this.
  15. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I wouldn't say I liked it, but it did surprise me. I wasn't offended by it, but I did kind of grin and say, "ah, a Mary Poppins homage!" All of Star Wars has tons of film references, to Sergio Leone and Kurosawa and David Lean... one more to Disney is not completely ridiculous. I certainly didn't like Last Jedi enough to run out and buy the Blu-ray or watch it over and over again, but what I did say was, "hey, the sequels are a lot better than the prequels." And I still think that's true. Episodes 1-3 are just about unwatchable to me; Episodes 7 & 8 I could stand to see again without running screaming from the room.

16. Lance Hall

Lance Hall Senior Member

Since apparently Jedis can survive the vacuum of space and even fly they just need to merge the Star Wars and Superman universes.
    Superman just had really high midichlorians. :hide:

17. David Campbell

Whatever floats your boat. I guess we have to agree to disagree. You want to nitpick ,which is your perogative, but it feels like we're going to be on an endless back and forth,so let's just stop it here.
    All the new actors have done great jobs. Say one will about the story,but the acting of these films definitely blow away most of the acting in the prequels and,yes good portions of the acting in the OT, especially the original Star wars and large swaths of ROTJ.

That's not to say the previous films had bad casting. To the contrary. It just makes a difference when you have two directors in Abrams and Johnson that know how to handle and direct actors. Kershner was very similar in that regard with EMPIRE,which is a big reason why acting wise that film holds up so well still. Of course,the biggest weakness of the prequels is that George just isn't great at directing actors. He would probably be the first person to admit it.

The new films, particularly the sequels are technically brilliant films. Great design,great cinematography,great acting. It's the stories that are a bit Shakey. Of course the final verdict on this trilogy is indeed IX. It doesn't have quite as much heavy lifting as Revenge of the Sith did in "redeeming " the arc of the prequels,but I'd say it's a pretty big task. This movie will determine a lot.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
  18. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Plus, the actress weighed about 200 pounds, so that's a helluva ability to float around carrying that much cargo. :sigh:

Ooooo, now we need Star Wars Kryptonite!

19. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Fair enough -- thanks for the fun argument.

20. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

No, I'd say he learns to be a leader. He finally understands what their situation really is and what they need to do. At that point he transitions from hothead hero - following orders or not - to leader.

Yeah, she's dynamite. Waaaaay better than Hamill was in Star Wars, and better than he was in Empire for that matter (although he was much improved in Empire). She's also something we definitely haven't seen before - somebody who has the Force but isn't really sure what to do with it. She's getting sucked into battles she doesn't really want to fight, but has to because other people want to control her. It definitely feels like they're setting up something where she's had enough of this and decides to put an end to it. People are going to be made to regret trying to manipulate her.

bluemooze and David Campbell like this.
  21. You have now a second person who thinks Chris Pine is a much better Kirk than Shatner. I have stated this here many times, I don't dislike the guy but I dislike Shatner's acting squills, if you compare his Kirk to the one performed by a more than capable actor as Pine is, Pine wins.
    I think, and this will sound/read as a sacrilege but the actors on the original Star Trek except for Nimoy are mediocre IMHO while the cast of the new Star Trek has some great actors like Zoe Saldana, Simon Peg (James Doohan may he rest in peace was soooooo bad at acting), Zachary Quinto or the aforementioned Chris Pine.
    I really whish we get one more Star Trek with the 2009 cast, I really like these guys.

As for Star Wars, I'm in no rush to see The Rise Of Skywalker. I think The Force Awakens captured the feeling of the original trilogy quite well 'though the story only got the job done. I never picture a huge Star Wars fan like me looking at the watch and whishing for the movie to end like what happened to me when I watched The Last Jedi at the cinema, which I found silly and tedious.
    The only Disney era Star Wars movie I really liked was Rogue One but looking at how little care (or lack of it) Disney takes at releasing their movies on UHD BD I fear they release a subpar product with Rogue One and the rest of the saga. If The new Marvel UHD BD's are the template for Disney future UHD BD releases I'm afraid they won't be getting my money.

22. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Pine hasn't been given anything worthwhile to play, though. Shatner's had dozens of very good (and a few truly great) screenplays to work with.

Even a Tarantino Star Trek isn't going to be as moving as Kirk's arc in Wrath of Khan. "I feel...young."

23. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

For those interested in the rumors and story leaks, here is the latest. Please to enjoy.

24. Juan Matus

Juan Matus Reformed Audiophile

I'll make this prediction now. It will be revealed in Epi IX that Rey is related to Palpatine. And the movie will in general be pretty meh much like the previous two.

25. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

one of the more recent rumors: Rey is a clone of the Emperor.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.